Used 2003 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

The Jag
By Craig Seifert

2003 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the car for my wife, but love to drive it when she'll let me. Picked it up in DC and drove it 200 miles on the interstate to get home and was impressed with the comfort, stability, power and control. Two days later, we drove it to Michigan from Virginia Beach. Again, superb is the word. We've owned and driven a lot of high end cars, but the XJs are in a class of their own. The styling is refined from decades of improving on a base design from the late sixties. The engineering has too. The base 300 HP 4.0 L V8 coupled with the 4 speed automatic is powerful but smooth, sophisticated but dependable and pretty efficient (20 mpg), considering that it's pushing a 2.5 ton car.

Favorite Features

Loaded with class and comfort, ergonomics and function. This car is impeccably crafted.

Suggested Improvements

They've done it all. The new models have all aluminum bodies and engine, lighter and more powerful. The new styling is a little too rounded. I prefer this model.

Breathtaking Automobile
By M. Montecelli

2003 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

It is beuatiful, fast, and sexy. When I am cruising down the freeway (once at 260km/h), just smoothly gliding along, listening to that cat purr, I feel like a billion bucks. It is fairly practical, maybe not such as an S- class, but still not bad. But the pure thought of knowing that I am in such respected, hand-built piece of art that rides on four wheels, it does not even compare to a Benz. I can drive my Jag everyday, take it on weekend vacations, and look absolutely 'pimp' compared to everyone else on the road. FABULOUS CAR! PS Buy one, its worth it!

Favorite Features

Beautiful lines inside and out, great performance for the size, everything about it is great. And do not worry about the reliability, Jags may have a bad rep, but I know many enthusiasts, even Jaguar mechanics, and they agree that Jaguars from 2000, to now are all fine.

Suggested Improvements

People asking me if it always breaks down. You know the answer. I stand by these Jags.

2003 Vanden Plas-beautiful!
By WL

2003 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my '03 Vanden Plas late last year and it's been wonderful. I was lucky to get it because my dealer informed me that production of the Vanden Plas has stopped for a while. I was sad to hear it because I think that the only car that can out shine the beauty of a Vanden Plas is maybe a Rolls Royce. What I couldn't believe is that these Jags are still hand assembled in England (woodwork and all.) I can't tell you how many comments I've received on my car. It's been wonderful. Classic British luxury at it's best.

Favorite Features

Beautiful interior and exterior styling, handcrafted wood and leather interior, unique picnic tray tables in the back seat, smooth ride, inexpensive to maintain (free for 4 years!)

Suggested Improvements

being discontinued for a little while, air conditioned seats would be nice