Used 2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

2002 Jag XJ Sport
By jp3558

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ Sport 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

2 years ago I bought this car for my wife for her birthday because she has always wanted a Jag. This is just a beautiful vehicle. It does have it's quirks but they are far overridden by the cars elegance and luxury. All her local driving is done in her Maxima and long journeys are taken in the Jag. This is a touring car and is designed to be driven on the highway for long distances at cruising speeds(within the law, of course). Jags have had a horrible history with quality control that I believe Ford ironed out when they took over. Neither of us has ever quite driven a vehicle quality and luxury which is why it is probably the best car we ever owned.

Favorite Features

High performance 4.0 liter engine, elegant body design and interior comfort. Excellent command of the road with cat like responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

Small interior compartment if you are a large person. this is not a fuel efficient car either, the trade off is for comfort.

Great Car
By Bob

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ Sport 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife has always dreamt of owning a Jaguar and the year we've owned our Sport has been a dream. Love the style and performance. It rides so smooth it's like it's mounted on a rail. The transmission is the smoothest I ever shifted. Fun car to drive and always gets complements from people that see it. Won't be our last XJ.

Favorite Features

Power, classic style, beautiful interior. My wife loves the seats. I like the handling and the way you feel behind the wheel.

Love My 2nd XJR
By Randy Walker

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

My favorite car every. I loved my straight 6 cyl supercharged 97 but this 02 is even better. Unlimited smooth instant rear wheel power with fully defeatable trac. Light them up through 3rd! Perfect for dad with a few kids. Great everyday driver!! Tires and brakes are pricey. I have 94k as of now, bought with 19k. Highly maintained all services and drives so well I find myself leaving the music off just to hear the engine and car itself. Nothing drives like this car. I have come close to wrecking cheap rental cars many times. Tires squeal when I am turning and braking. Seems I wait to long too turn and wait too long to brake in thise cheap cars.

Favorite Features

Engine followed by the handling and styling.

Not Allergic to this Cat
By Impressive Cat

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Overall very pleased and impressed with this vehicle. As a first-time Jag owner, had not considered a Jag in the past, had previously owned MB, Audi. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised with this vehicle. So far, my ownership experience has been great and has exceeded my expectations!

Favorite Features

The luxurious interior and classic "Jaguar" looks that set it apart,is what first attracted me to this car. I'm pleased with the VDP's addt'l features which translate into a longer wheelbase and upgraded appointments. This car does get favorable looks that set it apart from the mainstream!!

Suggested Improvements

Dual climate controls (which I know Jag has addressed since '02), moving the CD system from the trunk to the intrument panel.

My Last Jaguar!
By rollsroyceowner

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ Sport 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned many Jaguars through the years and have had great experiences with the exception of my 1989 XJ6 (it had all the problems that series was notorious for) and my current 2002 XJ Sport. My current Jaguar is a 42,000 mile, Carfax clean, two owner, fully dealer serviced car since new. Despite proper pedigree, it is a complete money pit! Past three months: Failed power seat module, $800. Two failed power window switches, $250 each. Failed power steering pump, on and on. The latest repair is the most insulting. At only 42,000 miles, the flywheel cracked and began rubbing on the bell housing. That repair plus two failed sensors, $1500. Get a warranty or stay far away!

Favorite Features

Ton of car for the money on the used market. Great styling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality and reliability. A car of this price and prestige shouldn't fall apart at 40,000 miles! Jaguar, you have lost a loyal customer.