2001 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Bad cat, worst pick of the litter
By mad lawyer on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned many luxury cars, all American, hence I never had a jag before. Bought this one used because it was just so pretty sitting on the lot. From day one, I've had nothing but extremely expensive repair bills from the most wide variety of areas, including, windows, sun roof, shocks, transmission, wheel bearings and finally the engine. In just over 3 years I spent over $10k on repairs, including $3500 for trans., and now they want $7k for a new engine, as I was stranded out on a quiet freeway in a corn field when the engine died last month. I would never recommend this vehicle.

Last of the very best 2001 XJR!!!
By Cat-walk on 05/19/09 13:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely LOVE my car. It has style, elegance, and a rocket for an engine! For the money, you can't can't get a better car. With under 50K on her, she's pretty much a garage queen. However, she does comes out to play and beat-up on those (vettes, mustangs, merc, etc.) who don't know about her racing spirit often enough to keep in good running condition. Diff went out at around 48k, and cracked motor mounts, fuel pumps, and valve cover gaskets have been replaced under after market warranty. DON'T BUY THIS CAR, without warranty coverage or if you don't have deep pockets, as repairs can be expensive. Other than that, it's still one of the BEST XJ's EVER BUILT!!

Best deal!
By Jagfan on 01/25/09 14:17 PM (PST)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a used low mileage Jag - now owned it for a year and 15K. NO problems at all. Drives and handles beautifully, and draws looks and comments. I am shocked to find that with snow tires the handling is excellent on snow and ice. (a previous Jag I had was not a good winter handler) LOVE IT! It's a beautifully sculpted car that stands out from the crowd of jellybeans.

I Love It!
By kewt on 10/30/08 11:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 30,000 miles on it. It has been wonderful. We haven't had a moment's trouble with it. We took a six-week cross-country trip in it and it couldn't have been more comfortable. We average about 27 MPG on the highway and anywhere from 12 to 16 in town. It's also a real head-turner. Lots of fun! I would recommend this car in a heartbeat.

XJ8-L
By Richard on 04/21/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a great addition to my fleet. I bought it for a cruiser/weekend car, but I can't seem to keep myself out of it. I love the sound system and the power everything is outstanding. It is a well built vehicle and doesn't leak at all. The design of the interior is spacious and very welcoming. It is definitely a head turner. The car is heavy on a steel frame so tires and brakes do not last as long as they should. The brakes are a dual soft system and the rotors ware quickly. They provide superb stopping power but will need to be replaced soon and and often.

Power to spare
By JP on 11/02/07 05:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

If you are looking for a car that personifies elegance and style with the power and performance of a sports car, then the 2001 XJR is your ride. With almost 400 horses on my supercharged Jag, it's so much fun watching upstart Mustangs and Maximas recede in my rear view.

01 XJ8L - A good buy for me
By drobin9353 on 08/10/07 10:53 AM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Has met every expectation. No customary brake problems (luck?). Smooth transmission. No oil leaks even at 72,000 miles. Occasional little nuisances crop up: auto tilt mirror failed to auto tilt, fixed by removing and reinserting all fuses in back seat kick panels (none were blown). Outstanding handling in snow w/4 very aggressive snow tires (forget all-seasons). Uses a little more oil than a car of this price range ever should (1 qt about 1,000 miles). Lack of a local dealer will influence me to trade below 100,000 miles.

The Last "Real" Jaguar Sedan
By John Mulvihill on 07/01/07 19:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Ford owned Jaguar when this car was on the drawing boards, but left the Brits alone to create the last "Lyons-era" big Jaguar saloon, 100% British in components, design, and construction. The result is the finest XJ ever. It's low-slung (5" lower than today's luxury cars) and gorgeous. In the best Jaguar tradition, this big sedan is silky, quiet, and fast. Only a handful of supercharged VDPs are produced by Jaguar every year, and all are pre-sold. Supercharged VDPs are the ultimate Jaguars, and this generation of XJs is the finest of the breed. Tightening safety and fuel economy standards mean we'll never see cars like this again.

2001 XJR
By 2001 XJR on 04/17/07 07:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Excellent car!! Fun to drive, great power and handling! Sexy, stylish and elegant! British Racing Green at its best!!

0-60 in 5.4
By Peter on 01/18/07 10:11 AM (PST)

2001 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Bought in Canada and stuck with a speedo calibrated in klicks. Replaced front shocks two years ago. Replacing rear shocks this month. Transient engine shutdown dealer cannot diagnose... goes into failsafe mode. An outstanding car that lives up to all of its hype and more. Would not drive anything else. Performance for a 5,000 lb car is incredible. Pirelli P6 are ok for summer. Must use Blizzak for winter... makes it go like a tank in the snow.