1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Not very reliable
By Jimmy on 09/15/09 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 2 years now without much luck. Unless you have plenty of money to put into it look elsewhere. You can bet you will need a new timing chain kit somewhere starting at 60,000. Poor, poor design on the chain and guides. This is an expensive fix!! Very!! Fixes...Power antenna (of course), driver seat power switch, rear view mirror, vacuum lines, brakes (warped rotors). The check engine light is always coming on, different problem each time. Transmission fluid is $65.00 a quart. No owner service. The car is good looking and very nice to drive, but the problems with it are horrible. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there...I would choose one of them!!

best car to buy
By yvonne on 01/06/09 20:35 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jaguar in 2006. One of the best decision I have made, the car is perfect, hundred of compliments, little or no problems. My next car will also be a Jaguar.

Superb British Luxury Automibile!
By 1999 Jaguar VDP on 12/15/08 15:33 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Very awesome car - exceeded my expectations! The best luxury vehicle I have driven - quiet, smooth & comfortable! I have owned few Cadillac & BMW cars in the past, this Jag is more reliable than either one. Not as fun to drive as BMW, but this VDP gives you a feeling of driving Rolls Royce with its elegance, comfort & smooth ride. 1998-2003 VDP models are the best, when Ford bought them - quality & reliability got worse! I personally would not buy any car new - but even 10 year old, with low miles & well taken care of - Vanden Plas is an awesome car! It matters a lot who owns this car - if you take care of it (drive it normally & maintain regularly) - it will drive well for a long time!

My 99 VDP... AWESOME
By Jim Spin on 11/18/08 21:34 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my first jag, a 99 VDP about a month ago. It was a high mileage car, 124000. Had my mechanic check it out. Absolutely perfect. I've driven it about 3000 miles so far. I absolutely love EVERYTHING about this car. I don't think I'll ever buy anything but a Jag from now on. I've owned MB and BMW and about 25 other cars. This one is the best overall.

My Priceless Vanden Plas
By Dodson's on 01/20/06 12:49 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

We absolutely love this car. We have had it for over 6 years now, and besides for a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty, it has been an excellent car. The ride is second to none, and what more can someone say about the Rolls Royce interior... doesn't get much better. We have since purchase a BMW 7 series, and although this is a nice car, it is no where near as reliable as her Kitty, and both my wife and I still prefer the Vanden Plas ride. It's amazing after 6 years, and 85,000 miles this car still grabs attention everywhere we go... and that the car with just regular maintenance and detailing still looks and drives like the day we drove it off the lot!

MY 1999 JAGUAR VANDEN PLAS
By J Clark on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

My experience with the 99 Jag has been excellent. No major problems, few minor ones. Service always good. It has been what I think a classic auto should be in all respects.

Best Jag Yet
By Howells on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This is the second Jag we have owned and can honestly say the best. In fact we still own the first, 1989 XJ6, though they are reported to have a few problems, we have been spared. Another nice thing about the Jag is that it is distinctive in appearance. If you want to reward your hard efforts of life and not be a "me too-er", the Jag is the way to go.

A Complete Luxury Car
By vusic on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Have driven our VDP for nearly two years. No disapointments. The best ride on the planet and a very capable cruiser (especially if your going through Montana). Everything you interact with says "quality".