Used 1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Not very reliable
By Jimmy

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 2 years now without much luck. Unless you have plenty of money to put into it look elsewhere. You can bet you will need a new timing chain kit somewhere starting at 60,000. Poor, poor design on the chain and guides. This is an expensive fix!! Very!! Fixes...Power antenna (of course), driver seat power switch, rear view mirror, vacuum lines, brakes (warped rotors). The check engine light is always coming on, different problem each time. Transmission fluid is $65.00 a quart. No owner service. The car is good looking and very nice to drive, but the problems with it are horrible. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there...I would choose one of them!!

Looks, ride

RELIABILITY

best car to buy
By yvonne

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jaguar in 2006. One of the best decision I have made, the car is perfect, hundred of compliments, little or no problems. My next car will also be a Jaguar.

Superb British Luxury Automibile!
By 1999 Jaguar VDP

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Very awesome car - exceeded my expectations! The best luxury vehicle I have driven - quiet, smooth & comfortable! I have owned few Cadillac & BMW cars in the past, this Jag is more reliable than either one. Not as fun to drive as BMW, but this VDP gives you a feeling of driving Rolls Royce with its elegance, comfort & smooth ride. 1998-2003 VDP models are the best, when Ford bought them - quality & reliability got worse! I personally would not buy any car new - but even 10 year old, with low miles & well taken care of - Vanden Plas is an awesome car! It matters a lot who owns this car - if you take care of it (drive it normally & maintain regularly) - it will drive well for a long time!

Powerful, comfortable, smooth & quiet ride! Legroom and headroom in front and back!

Cup holders could be better! Squealing noise when you brake - brake dust sets in & rotors or brake pads need to be cleaned - not cheap!

My 99 VDP... AWESOME
By Jim Spin

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my first jag, a 99 VDP about a month ago. It was a high mileage car, 124000. Had my mechanic check it out. Absolutely perfect. I've driven it about 3000 miles so far. I absolutely love EVERYTHING about this car. I don't think I'll ever buy anything but a Jag from now on. I've owned MB and BMW and about 25 other cars. This one is the best overall.

I like the retractable steering wheel, the auto lights and auto wipers. The lines are classy and refined

I'm a big guy, a bit more room in the front would be great.

My Priceless Vanden Plas
By Dodson's

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

We absolutely love this car. We have had it for over 6 years now, and besides for a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty, it has been an excellent car. The ride is second to none, and what more can someone say about the Rolls Royce interior... doesn't get much better. We have since purchase a BMW 7 series, and although this is a nice car, it is no where near as reliable as her Kitty, and both my wife and I still prefer the Vanden Plas ride. It's amazing after 6 years, and 85,000 miles this car still grabs attention everywhere we go... and that the car with just regular maintenance and detailing still looks and drives like the day we drove it off the lot!

The interior quality, comfortable ride, V8 engine, and the leeper... baby! Oh, and the admiring stares from everyone at the stop light :-)

Lower the price by $20K on the new ones :-) Wish the front brakes didn't leave so much brake dust on the wheels, it's normal... but irritating. Can't really think of any else with the 99 Vanden Plas... now the puffy sedan look of the new XJ8, that's a different story. Ford influence???