Used 1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Love to drive it
By sansui

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jag in Sept and knew it had problems, but was going to take that in stride. It had a bad ignition coil and when I got that fixed it purred like a kitten with a power meal. I still have a couple of problems to take care of then it's off for some long drives. It drives like a luxury vehicle it is, and at 75 it just barely hums along the interstate. It averaged 23 mph, which I thought was a little poor until I l read the specs. I don't like the way the brake and gas pedal are so close to each other in that I can't get my right foot in between them while on cruise. The seat sets a little bit low for me, in that I have to almost pull myself into the seat. All said, I love it.

Favorite Features

trunk cd changer, outside temp, 12V power outlet, adjustable rear view mirrors, lumbar adjustment, heated washer fluid, auto headlamps, rear fog lamps,

Suggested Improvements

location of brake pedal and gas pedal cup holder location with cup in, makes it hard to get to shifter, no alarm when light are left on, easier to read dash message center. easier way to raise or lower steering column.

Wow
By rainere

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

I've had my xj8 for about 6 months now and it just got past 1000 miles that I put on since I bought it. What can I say? It's an absolute amazing car, just got in a wreck with a Jeep and held up like a champ, I felt completely safe and secure in that car and believe me the same can't be said for the Jeep. The car is a tank, I love it, it's peppy and fast and sexy on the inside. So happy with the results of my purchase. I'm sad that the car was hit, but she is being repaired by the best shop I know specializing in British imports. Love my car, she's the best. Never getting rid of her.

Favorite Features

Interior wood graining, overall sleekness of the body, of course the little jaguar on the hood.

Suggested Improvements

A little more head room would be nice, I'm tall (5'10"), don't always brush the top but sometimes it can't be helped.

26 Days of pure enjoyment
By bconno2003

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

My First Jag I had gotten the '99 XJ8 late Sept. 2012 with 109,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately financed it (separate issue altogether) and got plates about a week before the temps expired. 26 days later exactly on my Cousins wedding on my way to there a deer was hunting me and ran out in front and messed up the driver side fender and totaling it out. pretty much had a 26 day test drive on the vehicle since I got a check after the deductible and loan paid off lol. Gave me a taste of the big cats and my replacement is going to be another Jag this time paid for with CASH! Whoo Hoo! Here Kitty Kitty! PS I'm in my mid to late 20s

Favorite Features

4.0L V8, Sport Mode, Stability Control, 6 Disc CD Changer (in the boot), The power, the performance, the grip and road feel (except on Ice was very squirrelly but could have been the tires), three driver memory settings, and the electronic tilt steering column that tilted all the way up when pulled the key out and went to the adjustment when you put the key in.

Suggested Improvements

tiny bit cramped for us americans that are slightly bigger. Massive Battery located in the Boot (Truck for you Yanks out there) Cheap Cupholder built into top of Center console that kept popping off of its hinge.

Not very reliable
By Jimmy

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 2 years now without much luck. Unless you have plenty of money to put into it look elsewhere. You can bet you will need a new timing chain kit somewhere starting at 60,000. Poor, poor design on the chain and guides. This is an expensive fix!! Very!! Fixes...Power antenna (of course), driver seat power switch, rear view mirror, vacuum lines, brakes (warped rotors). The check engine light is always coming on, different problem each time. Transmission fluid is $65.00 a quart. No owner service. The car is good looking and very nice to drive, but the problems with it are horrible. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there...I would choose one of them!!

Favorite Features

Looks, ride

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY

A perfect beast
By phil

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan

After a little over 5 months with this car I can say that my 1999 Jaguar XJ8 is the best car I've ever owned. I was lucky enough to get a one owner, dealer serviced car that was owned by a single male. The back seat was never even sat in. The power is impressive for a 4,100 pound car, but the biggest surprise was the cornering ability and overall road feel of the car. This is not like my Cadillac of old which was a living room on wheels. This car lets you "feel" the driving experience. My friends always want to take my car, despite one owning a 5 series BMW and the other driving a convertible Mustang GT. Who wants to drive a car you see every day...this car is full of character.

Favorite Features

The exquisite luxury of the interior is only surpassed by the classic, sexy lines of the body. The 1998 to 2003 exterior was the purest XJ series. The 2004s and up look rounded like...sorry folks...a Ford. The mileage on the highway is almost shockingly good. All other drivers yield to me at stops!!

Suggested Improvements

The rear seats are surprisingly tight on the legs. You do have to buy the car "after" the majority of the depreciation has taken place. The 1999 will hold its value because the price is now low, but the 2001 to 2003 models will drop significantly in value in the next couple of years.