1999 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Wow
By rainere on 04/15/13 09:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I've had my xj8 for about 6 months now and it just got past 1000 miles that I put on since I bought it. What can I say? It's an absolute amazing car, just got in a wreck with a Jeep and held up like a champ, I felt completely safe and secure in that car and believe me the same can't be said for the Jeep. The car is a tank, I love it, it's peppy and fast and sexy on the inside. So happy with the results of my purchase. I'm sad that the car was hit, but she is being repaired by the best shop I know specializing in British imports. Love my car, she's the best. Never getting rid of her.

26 Days of pure enjoyment
By bconno2003 on 02/08/13 04:39 AM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

My First Jag I had gotten the '99 XJ8 late Sept. 2012 with 109,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately financed it (separate issue altogether) and got plates about a week before the temps expired. 26 days later exactly on my Cousins wedding on my way to there a deer was hunting me and ran out in front and messed up the driver side fender and totaling it out. pretty much had a 26 day test drive on the vehicle since I got a check after the deductible and loan paid off lol. Gave me a taste of the big cats and my replacement is going to be another Jag this time paid for with CASH! Whoo Hoo! Here Kitty Kitty! PS I'm in my mid to late 20s

Not very reliable
By Jimmy on 09/15/09 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have had this car almost 2 years now without much luck. Unless you have plenty of money to put into it look elsewhere. You can bet you will need a new timing chain kit somewhere starting at 60,000. Poor, poor design on the chain and guides. This is an expensive fix!! Very!! Fixes...Power antenna (of course), driver seat power switch, rear view mirror, vacuum lines, brakes (warped rotors). The check engine light is always coming on, different problem each time. Transmission fluid is $65.00 a quart. No owner service. The car is good looking and very nice to drive, but the problems with it are horrible. There are a lot of nice looking cars out there...I would choose one of them!!

A perfect beast
By phil on 06/11/09 22:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

After a little over 5 months with this car I can say that my 1999 Jaguar XJ8 is the best car I've ever owned. I was lucky enough to get a one owner, dealer serviced car that was owned by a single male. The back seat was never even sat in. The power is impressive for a 4,100 pound car, but the biggest surprise was the cornering ability and overall road feel of the car. This is not like my Cadillac of old which was a living room on wheels. This car lets you "feel" the driving experience. My friends always want to take my car, despite one owning a 5 series BMW and the other driving a convertible Mustang GT. Who wants to drive a car you see every day...this car is full of character.

1999 XJ8L Solid Car
By George on 03/26/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

Car was purchased in 2003 just turned four years old with 28,000 miles, interior and exterior were in perfect shape and remain so today even after being driven all through the winters in Buffalo NY, the last six years. Only problem with the car in all that time was a timing chain tensioner went bad and was expensive to repair. All told it has been the best car I have ever owned and with only 81,000 miles it still has a long way to go.

best car to buy
By yvonne on 01/06/09 20:35 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jaguar in 2006. One of the best decision I have made, the car is perfect, hundred of compliments, little or no problems. My next car will also be a Jaguar.

Superb British Luxury Automibile!
By 1999 Jaguar VDP on 12/15/08 15:33 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Very awesome car - exceeded my expectations! The best luxury vehicle I have driven - quiet, smooth & comfortable! I have owned few Cadillac & BMW cars in the past, this Jag is more reliable than either one. Not as fun to drive as BMW, but this VDP gives you a feeling of driving Rolls Royce with its elegance, comfort & smooth ride. 1998-2003 VDP models are the best, when Ford bought them - quality & reliability got worse! I personally would not buy any car new - but even 10 year old, with low miles & well taken care of - Vanden Plas is an awesome car! It matters a lot who owns this car - if you take care of it (drive it normally & maintain regularly) - it will drive well for a long time!

My 99 VDP... AWESOME
By Jim Spin on 11/18/08 21:34 PM (PST)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my first jag, a 99 VDP about a month ago. It was a high mileage car, 124000. Had my mechanic check it out. Absolutely perfect. I've driven it about 3000 miles so far. I absolutely love EVERYTHING about this car. I don't think I'll ever buy anything but a Jag from now on. I've owned MB and BMW and about 25 other cars. This one is the best overall.

Still Loving It
By Sue Ray on 09/07/08 15:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

I am still loving my Jaguar XJ8L. I purchased it after 12 years of "mom- mobiles" ... Taurus station wagons. I had always dreamed of owning a Jag but never thought it would be possible. It has given me no trouble over the years and is completely cool to drive :) One year remained on the original warranty when purchased at 22,000 miles and there were a few issues, mostly cosmetic and the radio was replaced twice, that Jaguar gladly repaired under warranty. The Jaguar dealership in Greenville, SC was a delight to deal with. I now have 122,000 miles on it and am looking forward to more. It gets better than 25 miles to the gallon (premium) on the highway always and about 18.5 around town.

Wonderful to drive, when it works :(
By andy on 06/26/08 03:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I cannot believe how many 10s I see for reliability. After 2.5 yrs and 40k mileage, I replaced several motor mounts, an entire motor, a transmission rebuild, throttle body, window/skylight, buggy gas gauge, engine coolant leak, cup holders, paint is going despite regular waxing (monthly), SOO MANY MOTOR MOUNTS, brakes, I spend minimum $10,000/year in maintenance. Bad choice for a college student other than I can bounce from San Diego to Sac easily, comfortably, and super fast! Super smooth, powerful, elegant, get lots of looks and girls FIEND for it. You will spend more in maintenance than gas tho, and it costs me about 850/month in gas. Don't buy it unless your rich!