1998 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR
By bones on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

THE WATER PUMP IS PLASTIC AND COST ABOUT $500 DOLLARS AND LABOR TO INSTALL IS ABOUT $200. THIS IS A RIP OFF. JAGUAR IS A PART OF FORD. SO I SAY DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR.

What a great car
By shs on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

I'd admired the Jaguar for years, but was always hesitant because of the mechanical/electrical reputation. Bought one used, with the extended warranty and at a great price. Have been driving it for two years, what a great pleasure. I find myself driving it a lot more than any other car I've owned, and will find any excuse to do so.

10/10/02
By PDT1468 on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. The fit and finish on the interior and exterior are superb. The 8 cyl. engine is a vast improvement over the 6 cyl

Threw a rod at 52k miles
By Marie on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

My dream car-a Jaguar.In 3/01, I bought a USED one, which had 40k. miles on it. At 52,000 miles (2000 over the warranty and my 50k mile maintenance), it threw a rod- damage ~$6,300! Jag engineer said it was something internal (the engine was defective - and said "too bad" - you have too many miles over the over the warr.mileage (4%) and the time- warr. ended a month). She said"If anything, it would be a good will gesture, but they wouldn't offer me ANY help. My lifelong dream crumbled, and JAGUAR is a sorry company. I am buying a BMW. I'll let everyone know how Jaguar treated me, someone who had planned to buy Jaguar after Jaguar...

LOVE it!
By Jean C. on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

My '98 VDP is the most beautiful car on the road. With 49,000 miles on the odo, it looks and drives like new. All service is done by my Jag dealer (who is First Class), and the car has never had a major mechanical problem. This car is a feast for the eyes as its Anthracite paint sparkles and dances in the sun, and a thrill for the soul when I call on its immense power and maneuverability. The interior creature comforts are absolutely superb and can't be touched by those boxy German machines. The 1998 Jaguar VDP is a CLASS ACT.

Beware
By courageous on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I purchased a "select edition" 1998 XJ8, which means that the car was thoroughly inspected and certified. I don't think so. In less than a year's time I have had the car in the dealership 10 times! After tiring of driving a loaner almost as often and the Jag, I was informed by the dealer that my car had lost more than $10,000 of its value in just eight months. "You can buy them at auction for $22,000." So, even though these cars are supposedly select models, you can still wind up with a cat that's a real dog - and don't expect the dealer to do anything for you.

Disappointed with this vehicle
By Mac Attack on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

The dealer and the factory representative have indicated that the rumbling noise and vibrations is a 4th order engine vibration being transmitted through the exhaust system. "This is a characteristic of the vehicle as it ages, which will only occcur in the normal drive mode. Engineering is aware of the problem, but there is no fix at this time." The vehicle is 48 months old, has been babied. What happens when it is 60 months old, will it sound and ride like a Nova? What a pathetic excuse, does anyone have this problem? , time to trade for a Mercedes

Jag Makes Cents to CPA
By michael T on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

I was able to purchase a 98 Jag XJ8L with 19k miles for 50% of original cost and it still had all warranties. Great styling, performance and it has not broken down or had any mechanical problems. Jags have a bad reputation and that hurts their resale value. However, Ford has improved reliability and purchasers can get a hell of a deal and drive a great car.

I will never buy another type of car
By Iostream on 03/06/02 01:09 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have wanted a Jaguar for quite some time, and finally broke down and bought one. There is really nothing to dislike about the Vanden Plas. I am sold, I will never own another brand of car again.