1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews 3

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Don't even think about it!!
By Don't even go there! on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Bought 'certified Jag' hoping to get a good reliable car, no such luck. The car has a tendancy to loose all power, I mean ALL POWER while traveling down the freeway at 70mph. Not a good thing. Has been in the shop 9 times for problems ranging from the rear view mirror dripping chemicals, to replacing the front ball joints (3 times) and rod ends, to replacing the throttle assembly (twice - the cause of the freeway melt down). Fun to drive when it is up and running. Havn't had a problem in 7 months. Fingers crossed!

A lot of car for the money.
By Jeff Webster on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I like this car very much. It's smooth, comfortable and reliable (unlike previous Jags I've owned). It's very thirsty returning only about 15mpg around town but somewhat better, maybe 22mpg on a run. Trunk space is limited for such a large car. Should have a 'pass- through' where the back seat, or rear center center armrest folds down to allow long items like golf clubs and skis etc. to be carried in the trunk.

A Classic Automobile
By Robert Williams on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with low mileage, my Vanden Plas has been a superb experience. Excellent in every category, classic styling and none of the mechanical drawbacks frequently (and unfairly) mentioned by Jag detractors. A wonderful experience and certainly a worthwhile investment.

1998 XJ8L
By Ron 9424 on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

The car was purchased used as a 3 year old Select Edition with 28,000 miles in 2001. In the past 3 years the only repairs were a wheel bearing replacement and adjustment of the sn roof. A very dependable car.

1998XJ8ExceedsExpectations
By FirstTimeJagOwner on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Overall, an excellent car. Essentially no service other than routine maintenance. Dealer will pick up and deliver the car for service.

Jaguar
By Martin H. Evans on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Ergonomicsis- very poor. Dealer backing when paint defect materialized was terrible. Had to sue Jaguar to get satisfaction.Nice car but doesn't drive the way a Juguar is expected to drive. Would not consider buying another and definitely not another Ray Catena car.

Excellent XJ8
By rsheahan on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I purchased the XJ8 after test driving the volvo, Mercedes C Class, and the Lexus GS400. The GS 400 was quicker off the line but the Jaguar made up for it in overall speed, comfort and style. Although it is a very expensive car when purchased new, a 3 year old Jaguar is one of the best values out there. Thinking of adding a second Jaguar--the XK8 to the stable.

Classic looks and performance
By dnwdfw on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Picked up a 98 XJ8 with less than 35k miles thinking it would be a fun car for a few years. Honestly, I got much more car than I thought at first. I hope to keep it alive for many years to come as it's an incredible piece of workmanship. The 4.0L V8 is as strong as most could handle and the ride is way beyond the Lexus/Infiniti/Cadillac breeds. I'm hooked for life. One additional benefit to buying an old Jag - the styles change so slowly that only a dealer can tell what year your car is.

My Jag
By shadow on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I had a few fit and finish problems early on ,but that was about it. The dealer fixed ever problem that I brought up and some that they found. This is my first Jaguar and my experience has been better than when I owned a lexus and Acura. I love my car for its power and style. Nothing says beauty like the Jaguar xj8

Jaguar 1998
By Joyce Rietveld on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Handles great. Smooth ride Easy to drive. Everyone comments about how sharp it is and how sleek it looks.