Used 1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Always wanted a '98 Jaguar Vanden Plas
By HOF III

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

When Ford bought Jag in the mid 90s and made the improvements that had been a concern for previous Jag owners, I really got excited! I remember going to the dealership and seeing the '98 Vanden Plas in Pewter with oyster interior and thought it was the most beautiful car available at the time. I was fortunate to have some friends in the auto industry that go to auctions regularly and they came across a beauty in the Cabernet color with the oyster interior with all the options that had been immaculately cared for. I bought it from them and have had nothing but PURE enjoyment since. Rolls Royce is the only car that compares to the ride and comfort experience in my mind!

Styling, appearance, ride and the special feeling you have everytime you have the pleasure of driving this gorgeous car. I like the fact that the car's interior is almost identical to the 2006 and is so quiet with a fabulous sound system.

For the money I spent on this beauty, really nothing.

A Good Car for the Money
By Brett

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

For years, Jaguar has had a poor reputation for mechanical quality. However, in my experience, that has not been the case. I bought my 1998 Jaguar XJ8 as-is for about $11,000 with 72K miles. So far I have not had unexpected mechanichal problems, just routine work. I really enjoy the vehicle. The rapid depreciation of these vehicles, in large part due to Jaguars mechanical problems of the past, makes them very affordable for your average person. Just a couple of suggestions: 1) Buy 1998 or after- thats when electrical system was replaced by Ford, 2) Make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection, and 3) if you need to buy parts, go on ebay, since the Jaguar dealer markup is huge.

1) Handles great for a full sized sedan, 2) Torque explodes at 4250 RPMs, 3) The styling is amazing, 4) interior is beautiful. Final comment- nobody can beat the styling and performance of a 1998-2003 XJ8!

Be aware that interior parts are not affixed well. They actually have a tendency to fall off, but are easy to fix. For example, expect problems with your cup holder. I have seen this problem in many jags. Also, my CD player stopped working but it could just be a loose wire and can check the manual.

Least reliable car I ever owned
By worst car ever

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

At 53,000 miles my engine failed $12,000 replacement. Jaguar offered no help, said my case was rare, but 6 mechanics said engine failures were common because of timing chain failures in engines from 1998-2002. 3 water pump failures (plastic parts). Transmission failed at 98,000. This car had 8 mechanical break downs. Maintence was $27,000. Plastic used where metal was needed.

Interior and exterior styling. Comfort, and power.

Build a car that reflects its cost, develop integrity, and support owners who are likely to have problems with you cars.,

Not too bad
By Dirk5

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I bought my XJ8 in May of 2002 (44,000 miles) for $25,000 ($34,000 was average resale at that time) delivered to me from Houston wholesaler. Really no trouble at all until 110,000 miles. Brake calipers rebuilt, front end balljoints replaced, new belts and hoses (normal after 100,000 miles), new water pump, thermostat replaced. About $4,000 in repairs, however some of this is expected after 100,000 miles. The fit, finish, exterior and interior, electronics, handling, and overall reliability has been good. Super classy car that I will keep for very long time. Will put another 40,000 miles on this car and then put into the garage and buy another everyday car. This car is 8 years old and still runs and looks great.

Comfort, strong 300 HP when you need it, perfect electronics, overall fit and finish, sport suspension activated next to shifter, heated seats.

1998 vanden plas
By steve

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

My second Jaguar, and I love it even more than my first (a 1988 XJ6). The classiest, most beautiful car on the road, it handles perfectly (with the right brand of tires--Goodrich; Perelli and Michelein don't work well in wet or snow conditions) and has instant power. Extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Very comfortable for passengers front and back. Up-keep is expensive unless there is an extended warantee.

Exterior body design. Comfort and power. Responsiveness in handling.

Change standard tires to Goodrich for safety and responsiveness. Maybe an inch higher off the ground (front bumper sometimes hits six-inch barriers in parking lots).