1998 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Super Vehicle
By cwiningar on 03/12/12 15:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

This was my first Jaguar and has always been my dream car. I always joked that when I retired I would get a jaguar and guess what, I got one!! It has met every expectation I could of had. I have never driven a car so smooth and beautiful. I sure do get the looks and love every minute of it. I am averaging 26-28 MPG on the highway. I could not ask for a better car and I love love this one.

One Killer Kat
By shakur10011 on 02/23/10 08:54 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 xj8vdp 500 miles away from my home. it was a one owner car and she kept the car very well maintained. all manufacturer suggested maintenance have been performed and documented and every other little thing she had done as well. needless to say, my 5oo mile trip went by too fast and left me wanting to bypass my home to enjoy the ride even more. I had an oil service done the next day and with only 71,000 miles on this "Killer Kat" i know i will be leaping onto the highway soon. so if you live on the east coast you are sure to catch me prowling and growling pass all the other so called luxury sport sedans (bmw, lexus, mercedes), they don't compare.

great but know the faults
By Joseph Obuchowski on 02/25/09 21:15 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

This is one of the sexiest cars on the road. I have seen other cars trying to race me, and I do not want to race , I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride. Beware when you drive this model, it is a head turner and some people get angry. At the same time some people approach me and say, wow that is a great auto, it happens. I have two 1998 Jags one black and one white, the white one is the "L" version. Do not ask me why but the stereo sound is better in the "L" version, most likely due to the added interior.

Wonder car
By Thom on 05/05/08 10:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Lucky to find a car of this quality with such low mileage. A dream to drive and gets many looks by other drivers. While the off the line performance is less dramatic than expected it accelerates quickly once in second. Road noise is fantastically quiet. Comfort is luxurious and pleasing.

A lot of car for a little cash.
By sleep2much on 01/28/08 13:01 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

So many people like to put down Jaguars, the car not the cat, I would bet good money few of them have owned one or even sat in one, I know my car is knocking on the door of it's 10th year, but you couldn't tell by driving it, the interior is still pretty fresh and I like to look at the car too. I feel like I'm driving an $80,000 car, I know it's only $6000 now, but the luxury feel does not fly away as quick as the forecourt price.

Great Jag
By Ralph on 11/18/07 23:38 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This is a great and very classy car. Silky smooth as advertised. This is the first Jaguar I have owned and am open to a second Jag, a drop-top XK. The only precaution for shoppers of 1997-2003 XJ8 models is the requirement for timing chain tensioners at about 75000 miles. This is a spendy repair that is a must. There are update kits available. My car is drop dead gorgeous and a thrill to drive. You turn it on... it turns you on!!!

Always Loved the Vanden Plas
By HOFIII on 06/12/07 09:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Always wanted a Vanden Plas and was finally able to purchase one and have throughly enjoyed it. No other car drives like it. The quiet smoothness and overall feel of luxury surrounds you. The Harman Kardon audio is suberb. I haven't experienced another car like this big Jag. The car has 89,500 miles and drives like new. With proper maintenance in regular intervals, I expect it to perform for years. When driving the Jag, you really feel heads above the rest and receive compliments on its appearrance on a regular basis. I just love it!

XJ8: Premier Flagship Luxury Sedan
By W.L. 1 on 04/13/07 00:32 AM (PDT)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Wow!! I love my XJ8. Good mileage. Great performance. This is true one of the best luxury sedans from europe. I also love the S-class. The XJ-Series has better styling, performance, & reliability. The S-class W121 is a competitor. The 7-series however is not as luxurious as these two.

Ahh, the cat!
By al on 02/15/07 07:02 AM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

I have always stared and the uniqueness of the Jaguars, no other car matches it in the looks department. I upgraded to this model and it has been a pleasure. Contrary to the famed mechanical problems, this car has been rather good. Sure it requires maintenance and it ain't cheap but hey, it is not an economy car!! To drive a luxury car and complain about fuel consumption and maintenance does not make sense. The car has now 80,000 miles and I intend to keep it.

1998 Jag XJL
By JB Leport on 12/28/06 19:41 PM (PST)

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Jag I have owned and it is the best so far. The V8 engine is actually no better than the 4 liter 6 cyl eng, but it has a better reliability factor. Change oil at 4-5000 miles, rotate tires every 5000, wash and wax regularly. Wonderful family car with LOTS of room.