Used 1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Super Vehicle
By cwiningar

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 L 4dr Sedan

This was my first Jaguar and has always been my dream car. I always joked that when I retired I would get a jaguar and guess what, I got one!! It has met every expectation I could of had. I have never driven a car so smooth and beautiful. I sure do get the looks and love every minute of it. I am averaging 26-28 MPG on the highway. I could not ask for a better car and I love love this one.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the ride, east to handle and gas mileage plus the moon roof.

One Killer Kat
By shakur10011

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 xj8vdp 500 miles away from my home. it was a one owner car and she kept the car very well maintained. all manufacturer suggested maintenance have been performed and documented and every other little thing she had done as well. needless to say, my 5oo mile trip went by too fast and left me wanting to bypass my home to enjoy the ride even more. I had an oil service done the next day and with only 71,000 miles on this "Killer Kat" i know i will be leaping onto the highway soon. so if you live on the east coast you are sure to catch me prowling and growling pass all the other so called luxury sport sedans (bmw, lexus, mercedes), they don't compare.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, interior styling, and the looks i get from mercedes, bmw, and lexus drivers, it's pure envy.

Suggested Improvements

larger driver compartment for guys such as me (6' 3", 270 lbs.),but i fit just fine could use a little more room.

great but know the faults
By Joseph Obuchowski

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

This is one of the sexiest cars on the road. I have seen other cars trying to race me, and I do not want to race , I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride. Beware when you drive this model, it is a head turner and some people get angry. At the same time some people approach me and say, wow that is a great auto, it happens. I have two 1998 Jags one black and one white, the white one is the "L" version. Do not ask me why but the stereo sound is better in the "L" version, most likely due to the added interior.

Favorite Features

ride, the styling of the exterior, no sedan sedan from the same year looks this good on the road. After 2003 the Jags look too much like Fords, it is a shame.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, it is a completely closed trans and you can not change the fluid. Both my 1998 jags failed at 11 years, which together cost over $10,000. The engineer who designed the closed trans should be terminated from employment. Jasper has redesigned the trans to have the fluid changed. 3 yr w

Wonder car
By Thom

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

Lucky to find a car of this quality with such low mileage. A dream to drive and gets many looks by other drivers. While the off the line performance is less dramatic than expected it accelerates quickly once in second. Road noise is fantastically quiet. Comfort is luxurious and pleasing.

Favorite Features

I love the fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

The center console needs to be redesigned as the forward latching is a bit awkward.

A lot of car for a little cash.
By sleep2much

1998 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan

So many people like to put down Jaguars, the car not the cat, I would bet good money few of them have owned one or even sat in one, I know my car is knocking on the door of it's 10th year, but you couldn't tell by driving it, the interior is still pretty fresh and I like to look at the car too. I feel like I'm driving an $80,000 car, I know it's only $6000 now, but the luxury feel does not fly away as quick as the forecourt price.

Favorite Features

Speed when you need it, you hear the Jaguar roar. Looks great when it's just been polished.

Suggested Improvements

Easy access to the little bulbs in the facia and window controls, it's a shame to see dead lights, you just know if you dig your screwdriver in it's going to damage something. Rear bumpers tend to come loose and it's not easy to get in to fix.