Best thing from Jaguar ever
By solarus on
1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan
When I bought my 1997 VP, it had 96,000 on it. Purchase price from a dealer was right around $6,000 - don't ask why they go so cheap, I think American buyers have been so scared by previously poorly built Jags that cost tons to repair that only daring souls (like me) buy these things. What can I say, this particular model is simply exceptional - as long as you follow the maintenance schedule! Find a neighborhood mechanic confident enough to work on general repair, and replace all belts, fluids and other aging parts, they are very reasonable if bought from rockauto.com .
Favorite Features
Absolutely - Interior. Rich creamy light leather and exceptional woodwork (yes, real wood!) make me feel like I am relaxing at home when I drive this car daily, both in the city and on long trips. Paint on this car is German, and clear coat is unbeatable. As long as you regularly wax your car, it will remain looking gorgeous. Electric system is significantly improved from the 80's models, just replace a fuse if one blows. This car is actually not bad on gas - average gas mileage is 19, and that's 50% city and 50% highway (you get 23 mpg on highway). And, rear leg room - I don't think you can get that much room in a minivan, simply amazing!
Suggested Improvements
Make oil filter better accessible. Ignition key location could be better, too close to my right knee (I have long legs). Simplify the controls console and eliminate the leather hood "arch" in console, so that new flat panel display systems can be put in. Believe it or not, I can't think of anything else! Great car!