1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
I miss my jag.
By juegavivobuay on 01/10/12 11:15 AM (PST)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

To began this, I was 17 when my dad gave me his jag in favor for his s500 mercedes. A jag wasnt cool in school so i wanted something different. Nonetheless, a elegant, smooth, and deceptively fast car. I can still hear the deep roar from the engine. Seats had good support, carpet very soft, and the back seat very spacious. Good steering feel and surpisingly not to bad on gas and I always drove in sport mode.

Best thing from Jaguar ever
By solarus on 03/01/11 10:02 AM (PST)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1997 VP, it had 96,000 on it. Purchase price from a dealer was right around $6,000 - don't ask why they go so cheap, I think American buyers have been so scared by previously poorly built Jags that cost tons to repair that only daring souls (like me) buy these things. What can I say, this particular model is simply exceptional - as long as you follow the maintenance schedule! Find a neighborhood mechanic confident enough to work on general repair, and replace all belts, fluids and other aging parts, they are very reasonable if bought from rockauto.com .

Buy one now if you can
By David G. on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

I have been lucky enough to find a '97 XJ6 with 91K miles. The car is magical and I wonder how i drove anything else. The Previous owner was a southern church lady so she was well taken care of and not roughed up. After a clay scrub, wax, leather job, oil change, air filer change and wheel alignment, she looks marvelous and I feel like a baron. The engine is immaculate and performs like the Jaguar she is: POWER. Found a key fob on amazon and all I need are some sweet VDP mats to finish her off.

165,000 miles
By marty on 08/29/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

I had always wanted a jag, and I finally got one. It has 165,000 miles and it still runs great. One of the factors in buying such a high mile car was the straight 6. It seems to me that most of the old jags still on the road are xj6s. I love to drive this car more than any I've owned. Buying such a car is not without some troubles, it needed an alternator.

Love my Jags
By Princess on 12/01/09 09:20 AM (PST)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

This is the second 97 XJ I have owned. My first was totaled in a storm. Love, love, love them. 12 years old and it still gets attention. Completely reliable. I did my research before purchasing. 95-97 were the cream puff years. Bushings and struts and 2 ignition coils had to be replaced last year (100k miles). NOTHING ELSE! I am happy w/ gas mileage (17 city - 23 hwy). Cup holder is useless but that is a small sacrifice. I purchased a dual holder that slides between center console & passenger seat at PepBoys that matches. Chrome wheels are peeling. I had alloys on my previous xj and they were still perfect after 10 years. I will replace wheels and drive this one another few years.

Very fun and old school power
By kputman on 07/28/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

I recently decided to buy my xjl during a routine checkup for my volvo. The car was being checked out and the people could not afford it. The mechanic just happened to be an ex Jag salesman who told me if I did not buy it, he would. Told me the 95 - 97 xj6 was as reliable as the old 240 volvos, and that is saying something. I have never had so many people ask about my car. The paint is perfect after 10 years and the leather is great. Only issues are the cup holders go bad ($167) and my telescope steering needs replacing. Smooth as silk on new Michelins. Buy it.

Dream of Dream cars
By panther on 04/12/09 00:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

This has always been my dream car and I finally found the color, year and engine I wanted XJ6L. After plenty of research I read the 95-97 XJ6 was the more trouble free of all Jags and that's what I hunted for and so far so good.

No Surprises!
By Classic XJ6 on 06/19/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

I've always wanted a Jaguar and now it's mine. You can buy a used car or you can buy something you're proud to drive. I was very concerned about mechanical problems but after 6 months and 5,000 miles, no issues.

Beautiful flat-6 engine + luxury
By Aaron Weikart on 04/02/07 19:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

Wow, from the amzing performance of the Jaguar historic 250 horsepower flat-6 - which makes the most beautiful engine sound - to the amazing comfort of this luxury car. It all adds up to one of the best Jaguars ever made. Over the corse of 75000 miles I have had to only change one headlight and new brakes. Thats $4500. I purchased this car new for $64,900 back in 1997.

Very Satisfied
By chris on 03/26/07 16:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

I did a lot of research and it all pointed to the 1995-1997 XJ6. Being in the car industry and never having owned a Jaguar before, I talked to as many foreign car mechanics and Jaguar owners as possible. I bought the 1997 XJ6L with 97000 miles and had it checked out. The mechanic said it was excellent. My wife, who has had 3 new mercedes benz in a row, drives it and loves it. No more high payments, a paid for jaguar is the way to go. it's roomy, comfortable, drives smooth and looks great. It get more compliments than on our last 3 mercedes. We are very satisfied.