Used 1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

I miss my jag.
By juegavivobuay

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

To began this, I was 17 when my dad gave me his jag in favor for his s500 mercedes. A jag wasnt cool in school so i wanted something different. Nonetheless, a elegant, smooth, and deceptively fast car. I can still hear the deep roar from the engine. Seats had good support, carpet very soft, and the back seat very spacious. Good steering feel and surpisingly not to bad on gas and I always drove in sport mode.

2nd gear+ acceleration interior build quality and room massive trunk Smooth, very smooth ride foglights and rear foglights jag eblem on the hood. omg long elite body styling

Differential went out at around 170,000. Possibly from doing doughnuts.haha Glass sunroof instead of steel moonroof. Car steered like a boat. Not very direct with the road. opposite of bmw.

Best thing from Jaguar ever
By solarus

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1997 VP, it had 96,000 on it. Purchase price from a dealer was right around $6,000 - don't ask why they go so cheap, I think American buyers have been so scared by previously poorly built Jags that cost tons to repair that only daring souls (like me) buy these things. What can I say, this particular model is simply exceptional - as long as you follow the maintenance schedule! Find a neighborhood mechanic confident enough to work on general repair, and replace all belts, fluids and other aging parts, they are very reasonable if bought from rockauto.com .

Absolutely - Interior. Rich creamy light leather and exceptional woodwork (yes, real wood!) make me feel like I am relaxing at home when I drive this car daily, both in the city and on long trips. Paint on this car is German, and clear coat is unbeatable. As long as you regularly wax your car, it will remain looking gorgeous. Electric system is significantly improved from the 80's models, just replace a fuse if one blows. This car is actually not bad on gas - average gas mileage is 19, and that's 50% city and 50% highway (you get 23 mpg on highway). And, rear leg room - I don't think you can get that much room in a minivan, simply amazing!

Make oil filter better accessible. Ignition key location could be better, too close to my right knee (I have long legs). Simplify the controls console and eliminate the leather hood "arch" in console, so that new flat panel display systems can be put in. Believe it or not, I can't think of anything else! Great car!

Buy one now if you can
By David G.

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

I have been lucky enough to find a '97 XJ6 with 91K miles. The car is magical and I wonder how i drove anything else. The Previous owner was a southern church lady so she was well taken care of and not roughed up. After a clay scrub, wax, leather job, oil change, air filer change and wheel alignment, she looks marvelous and I feel like a baron. The engine is immaculate and performs like the Jaguar she is: POWER. Found a key fob on amazon and all I need are some sweet VDP mats to finish her off.

Sport-drive, luxury interior, huge trunk, concourse- ready body.

cup holders are a cheesy.

165,000 miles
By marty

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

I had always wanted a jag, and I finally got one. It has 165,000 miles and it still runs great. One of the factors in buying such a high mile car was the straight 6. It seems to me that most of the old jags still on the road are xj6s. I love to drive this car more than any I've owned. Buying such a car is not without some troubles, it needed an alternator.

The smooth ride is a dream. But don't be shy about pushing this cat hard around a corner, or dropping a couple of gears getting on the freeway. the interior is timeless, and even the larger person will find plenty of leg room in the back seat.

I'll get back to you in another 165,000 miles.

Love my Jags
By Princess

1997 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 L 4dr Sedan

This is the second 97 XJ I have owned. My first was totaled in a storm. Love, love, love them. 12 years old and it still gets attention. Completely reliable. I did my research before purchasing. 95-97 were the cream puff years. Bushings and struts and 2 ignition coils had to be replaced last year (100k miles). NOTHING ELSE! I am happy w/ gas mileage (17 city - 23 hwy). Cup holder is useless but that is a small sacrifice. I purchased a dual holder that slides between center console & passenger seat at PepBoys that matches. Chrome wheels are peeling. I had alloys on my previous xj and they were still perfect after 10 years. I will replace wheels and drive this one another few years.

Attention getting classic good looks, smooth ride. Complete reliability. Quick a/c and heat. I like the low profile for me (5'5") but way too low for for anyone 5'11 or over.

Cup holder design. Steering column telescope is a common problem. Went bad in my first xj (112k miles), still working in my current xj (115k miles). Sunroof is starting to bind.