1996 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
*CLASS & DASH*
By mongoose4 on 07/06/13 10:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 4dr Sedan

Owned now for 4 years, found it on local Craigslist wanted 6K, got it 4.5K. Mint body (9+), Int 8, new tires, subwoofer. Engine compartment look new. Had a few issues mechanically-wheel bearings, frozen brake caliper. Put 2K into it, rebuilt throttle body + previous mentioned. Cant beat the looks, performance. Really where can you get this for <7K today & 3 years from collector plates ;)

What a great car for the $$$
By fritzthecat1 on 12/14/12 18:34 PM (PST)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 8 months. Purchased with 90K and currently has 101K on it. Immediate repairs when purchased were minor. Rear seal replaced, front shocks replaced and a new set of tires. It has burnt NO OIL between oil changes which I do every 8K due to type of oil used and filter used. After 8K the oil still looked clean. MPG for the area(hilly) is not bad. It gets compliments everywhere I go. It is actually easier DIY repair that I ever thought and parts are cheap if you shop for them.

My dream came true
By jeff pendman on 03/27/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 4dr Sedan

This Jaguar was the best car I have owned all the luxury but when it came to Jaguar it was the best and smoothest ride once in awhile a few minor problems occur like door locks but a easy fix and well worth for this xj6! All the bells and whistles

Gorgeous big cat
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 01/20/10 21:48 PM (PST)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I'm very pleased to say that my gorgeous big cat is still running well. In fact, the only thing I've done is a few oil changes. I've put nearly 40,000 miles on her and she's been great. She came with Toyo tires that still have 40% left on them. Still on the same brakes as well. Rear axle has been leaking since I got her (can smell the diff oil), but no problems. Front left wheel bearing still makes the same noise. Gas mileage is pretty good on the freeway 24 mpg at 80 mph. City mpg isn't so good. I've received as many compliments on her as my Porsche Boxster and 911. When I drive people they comment on how nice a ride she has. I didn't think I would say it, but I love this car. An absolutely beautiful luxury car that makes me proud to own her.

Our VDP at 80K mi
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 12/12/09 14:27 PM (PST)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

Our XJ6 Vanden Plas just broke 80K miles with very minimal problems. The seats are still in excellent condition - these are the best seats, especially the back seats! The ride comfort is amazing. Our VDP is a long car. I drove to work today in a good solid rainstorm. I was doing over 90 and I didn't even know. The car holds the ground so well - I'm amazed at how great the suspension is. At first I thought the suspension wasn't up to BMW standards, but I've changed my mind. Jaguar did a great job on this car. The 4.0 straight 6 sings! Smog check results look like a PZEV car! Timeless beauty. Solid, safe car. Very impressive stereo system. My VDP still puts a smile on my face!

Nice Car!
By Mike on 06/21/09 20:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 4dr Sedan

I have always thought about owning a Jaguar and I am glad that I made the choice on my 96 XJ6. Overall the car is great. Great ride, great looks and has been reliable. It gets looks and has a nice big car feel without feeling heavy. Extremely good gas mileage! My wife not being a "car" person loves it as well.

My Beatuiful Jag
By Hook_20 on 06/26/08 15:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I have owned Japanese cars for years and I have always sworn by them, However after I started test driving European cars I noticed a huge improvement in build quality and overall performance. I then happened upon this Jag and I can honestly say I will never go back. This is really comfortable it has awesome power for a 5000 LB car and good gas mileage for a heavy car. Plus I never hear the wind. Oh and I haven't spent anymore on this car then I have with any other Japanese car in repairs so in my opinion why buy anything else, not mention I picked this up for $7000 and it is just has good as a Mercedes of the same year.

This is Luxury
By The Big Cat on 06/20/08 21:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This is our second Jaguar - the first was a 1992 Sovereign, which was a very nice car. Our 1996 VDP is a world above the old Sovereign. Our VDP is the most luxurious car, has the nicest materials and has the best looks. This car makes me smile, everytime I drive it. We've owned Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti and we've enjoyed those cars (and still enjoy our 540i), but there is something very special about the big cat! Add to this the improved reliability, you have a car that is hard to beat.

Our Wonderful Big Cat
By Greg on 05/27/08 23:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This is our second Jaguar (first was a 1992 XJ std). Some nice improvement over the 1992. Ride quality is phenomenal. Acceleration is good. Gas mileage is so-so (our 540i does a little better). The quality of material is unheard of in this day and age. Our Big Cat is such a sexy machine. A lot of oohs and ahhs! Back seat is more comfortable than the front. Sport or Luxury shock setting = great idea! If you want an incredible luxury vehicle, get a Jaguar. No other car has this much personality!

Gorgeous Luxury Car
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 12/26/07 22:30 PM (PST)

1996 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

This car is so beautiful. She's great to look at. Interior is so comfortable. Rear seat is the most comfortable I've ever been in. Lots of nice improvements over our 1992 Sovereign. Long wheelbase is a bit of a hassle to park or u-turn. This car feels long - it feels like you're hauling a small trailer behind it. Body lines are beautiful. You feel like a million bucks in the car. Power is good. Handling is good for such a big, heavy car. Front suspension feels outdated - slow on speed bumps and doesn't feel refined like BMW or Mercedes. We've had good luck with Jaguar, even though people tell us they're nightmares - mechanically. Only time will tell.