1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1990 XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Mine's a 1990 XJ12 Vanden Plas - Not listed here but....
By tojoso

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Vanden Majestic 4dr Sedan

I have an XJ12 Vanden Plas 4 dr 12 cyl that is hard to find reviews for so I thought I'd post mine in it's little brother's area. This Car is AMAZING. Not only is it of superb comfort and style but the darn thing is bulletproof. It cruises along at 60 - 70 mph without effort and feels more like you're in first class seating on an aircraft. Everything is situated perfectly for comfort and access.

Favorite Features

Luxuriously smooth ride, ease of access and simplicity of controls, the sunroof, the overall feel of the car...... indulgent

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to parts and that's it.

I loved my XJ6 Soveriegn so much I bought TWO!
By jagstimestwo

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Well always wanted a Jag, just had to have one and finally last year I bought my first jag 1990 Soveriegn and I love it! Loved it so much that 6 mos later we bought at 1992 XJ6 that is exactly the same inside and out as the 1990, Twins! Yes these cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We are lucky to have someone who loves jags and knows how to fix them and knows his way around the junkyard for those hard to find parts! These cars are a labor of love, if you don't love your jags, then don't buy one, cause they can drive you crazy with the maintenance and issues, but when they run its a blast to drive and show! "cats gotta run"

Favorite Features

sport mode!

Good, but not great
By felipeart

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Have had my XJ6 Sovereign for 6 years now. A great entry model into Jaguar driving, but get as late a model as possible, 1990 on up or later. Don't get 1989 or lower. If possible get a 1995 or later.

Favorite Features

Fantastic engine - bulletproof. Nice styling, silky ride. Few have a Jag, it stands out. I love to drive it, the serene interior keeps me happy in traffic. A car for someone with stronger individualistic tendencies, and more money, although you can get a real nice one now for under $2,000.

Suggested Improvements

Finicky electrics, needs better fitting of interior parts. Expensive to repair. Anything that goes wrong is noticed easier when a car is highly refined. Not very rust resistant to corrosion in certain spots. Runs on premium gas.

Inexpensive Introduction
By Barry Carter

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from it's second owner in Dayton, Ohio in '04. It drove like a dream all the way to Dallas. It rained across OH, WVA, VA, TN, & AR. IT got warm in TX. Since then I have replaced the AC compressor, headliner, rack & pinion bushings, some PS hoses, had a brake job, repaired both rear door handles, and tinted the windows. There is some minor body rust to repair. I'd also like to replace the Blauplunkt w/ an original radio. I'm trying to find OEM wheels to replace the current alloys w/ plastic Jag caps. If you are patient and want a great daily driver that doesn't look like everything else on the road, this one was affordable. Which makes restoring it less painful.

Favorite Features

Drivability and interior.

Suggested Improvements

Don't the British drink beverages in their cars? No cup holders in this one and the placement of cup holders in my '99 XJ8L is from Mars if you shift or smoke.

first love
By Alero

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

I have always admired these cats on the street and I decided to take the plunge on an older XJ6, 1990. quite frankly I was scared but since then my fears are gone. This is a great car and it rules the highway. One has to remember that the car is after all 15 years old and therefore some things will need taking care of but the engine and major components on this baby are just puuuurrriiing.

Favorite Features

it's a jag! quite fast and awsome handling. good gas considering the engine size. overall a nice car.

Suggested Improvements

radio and sound system are kind of cheap for the car.

Excellent Buy
By samwhite

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

These cars are a steal at 5 to 6K. You get so much luxury for the price and 1990 and above are trouble free.

Favorite Features

Excellent ride and power. Killer interior.

XJ HEAVEN
By Stever

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

I have had this vehicle for 6 months and it is the best riding car I have owned. I just had it painted and it now looks like a brand new $70,000 Jag. I believe it is the best value/price of any used car. It is a joy to drive and a joy to look at! If you can find one that is well maintined and relible for a decent price 3-6K jump on it!

Favorite Features

J-Shifter, Handling, Ride, Comfort

Looks great in the garage
By moleary

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

This car required three transmissions (albeit covered under warranty)within its intitial 1,600 miles. It seems as though it's had just about every part replaced by 65,000. When it runs, it runs great--but I won't take it anywhere out of town. Thankfully, I've been able to afford a second car throughout twelve years of ownership.

Favorite Features

Appearance and ride (when running).

Suggested Improvements

Everything related to the drive train, electronics and paint integrity.

bad buy ,a lemon
By joe montainia

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 4dr Sedan

this car breaks on me all the time. its has costed me a fortune i advise donot buy this car. i strongly suggest mercedes-benz products and lexus. lexus got the highest rating of preowned vehicles by jd power. over all its a bad buy and if you have the money to keep on fixing it then so be it.

Suggested Improvements

leather quality could be better. if you get this car replace its sound system (if it has its original system). ive had two of these my first one a car hit the back of it going about 10 miles an hour and it bent my frame and it was totaled.

Used Jag - bad idea
By aklein18

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

I let the low price tag fool me. This car cost me a lot of money. It looked and drove like a new car. But after all was said and done, I would have been better off leasing a new one. (not that I could have afforded that either)

Favorite Features

Comfort of front and rear seats

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk. Needs better gas mileage especially considering low performance