Used 1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Mine's a 1990 XJ12 Vanden Plas - Not listed here but....
By tojoso

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Vanden Majestic 4dr Sedan

I have an XJ12 Vanden Plas 4 dr 12 cyl that is hard to find reviews for so I thought I'd post mine in it's little brother's area. This Car is AMAZING. Not only is it of superb comfort and style but the darn thing is bulletproof. It cruises along at 60 - 70 mph without effort and feels more like you're in first class seating on an aircraft. Everything is situated perfectly for comfort and access.

Favorite Features

Luxuriously smooth ride, ease of access and simplicity of controls, the sunroof, the overall feel of the car...... indulgent

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to parts and that's it.

I loved my XJ6 Soveriegn so much I bought TWO!
By jagstimestwo

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Well always wanted a Jag, just had to have one and finally last year I bought my first jag 1990 Soveriegn and I love it! Loved it so much that 6 mos later we bought at 1992 XJ6 that is exactly the same inside and out as the 1990, Twins! Yes these cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We are lucky to have someone who loves jags and knows how to fix them and knows his way around the junkyard for those hard to find parts! These cars are a labor of love, if you don't love your jags, then don't buy one, cause they can drive you crazy with the maintenance and issues, but when they run its a blast to drive and show! "cats gotta run"

Favorite Features

sport mode!

Good, but not great
By felipeart

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Have had my XJ6 Sovereign for 6 years now. A great entry model into Jaguar driving, but get as late a model as possible, 1990 on up or later. Don't get 1989 or lower. If possible get a 1995 or later.

Favorite Features

Fantastic engine - bulletproof. Nice styling, silky ride. Few have a Jag, it stands out. I love to drive it, the serene interior keeps me happy in traffic. A car for someone with stronger individualistic tendencies, and more money, although you can get a real nice one now for under $2,000.

Suggested Improvements

Finicky electrics, needs better fitting of interior parts. Expensive to repair. Anything that goes wrong is noticed easier when a car is highly refined. Not very rust resistant to corrosion in certain spots. Runs on premium gas.

Inexpensive Introduction
By Barry Carter

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from it's second owner in Dayton, Ohio in '04. It drove like a dream all the way to Dallas. It rained across OH, WVA, VA, TN, & AR. IT got warm in TX. Since then I have replaced the AC compressor, headliner, rack & pinion bushings, some PS hoses, had a brake job, repaired both rear door handles, and tinted the windows. There is some minor body rust to repair. I'd also like to replace the Blauplunkt w/ an original radio. I'm trying to find OEM wheels to replace the current alloys w/ plastic Jag caps. If you are patient and want a great daily driver that doesn't look like everything else on the road, this one was affordable. Which makes restoring it less painful.

Favorite Features

Drivability and interior.

Suggested Improvements

Don't the British drink beverages in their cars? No cup holders in this one and the placement of cup holders in my '99 XJ8L is from Mars if you shift or smoke.

first love
By Alero

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

I have always admired these cats on the street and I decided to take the plunge on an older XJ6, 1990. quite frankly I was scared but since then my fears are gone. This is a great car and it rules the highway. One has to remember that the car is after all 15 years old and therefore some things will need taking care of but the engine and major components on this baby are just puuuurrriiing.

Favorite Features

it's a jag! quite fast and awsome handling. good gas considering the engine size. overall a nice car.

Suggested Improvements

radio and sound system are kind of cheap for the car.