Used 1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Smooth Rider
By soccadad

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Coupe XJS 2dr Coupe

I paid $3K for this car via a friend in the Jaguar business. It was a single owner car with 35K miles. The gel coat was bad, plus I immediately spent another $3K on brakes (a full rear end job is very expensive on any XJS model prior to 95), and it's been worth every penny. I'm about to splash out on a paint job, because I love the old fashioned style of the car, and this one has chrome wire wheels as well. I may have had about 10 Jags, including 3 XJSs, 3 XJ12s, and an XJR (8) and my wife has a 2005 S-Type with all the "bells and whistles", and I think I am enjoying this as much as any, even the XJR. Don't let the low initial cost fool you though. It's not a cheap car to own.

Favorite Features

It's smooth, has that great V12 growl, and is a real head turner. Old fashioned and hand built but with many of today's features like ABS. The chassis is incredible, with ride and handling like nothing else. This is not the car for everyone, but if you like the "character" of Jaguars you'll love it.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the 4 speed gear box of the 95/96 model. It lacks "quickness" off the mark. Make sure you start with a good example, otherwise you'll at least triple your orignal investment in repairs to get what you want.

AN AWESOME BUY!
By MOUTHPCE

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Coupe XJS 2dr Coupe

ANY MONEY PUT INTO MAINTENANCE IS EASILY OFFSET BY THE LOW PURCHASE PRICE. IMAGINE A TRUE EXOTIC FOR ABOUT 5K...WOW! PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE...YOU CAN JUSTIFY ANOTHER 5K IN REPAIRS,IF NECESSARY, AND STILL BE AHEAD OF THE MOB. THE V-12 IS A SCREAMER...PURE JAG AL THE WAY FOR A RIDICULOUS PRICE! GO ONLINE TO "JKAG-LOVERS" AND KIRBY PALM'S ONLINE HOW-TO MANUAL IS A GREAT DIAGNOSTIC GUIDE TO REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE.

Favorite Features

ROAR OF THE V12; PRECISE STEERING; 160 MPH=+ CAPABILITY; RIDES LIKE ON RAILS; AND, LAST BUT NEVER LEAST: LOOKS, LOOKS, LOOKS!! A REAL HEAD TURNER...THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT ON THE ROADS TODAY...PERIOD! ONE OF A KIND.

Suggested Improvements

IT'S AN ORIGINAL JAGUAR BUILD AND DESIGN: ENOUGH SAID...EXOTICS ARE NOT FOR THE TIMID BUT AMONG THE COURAGEOUS: WOW FACTOR IS A "10".

Must have gotten a good one
By Goliath

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Coupe XJS 2dr Coupe

I have had little or no problems with my Jag. I have put over 35000 miles and only had to replace a starter relay. I just love this car.

Favorite Features

The looks and the V12