1990 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Mine's a 1990 XJ12 Vanden Plas - Not listed here but....
By tojoso on 05/28/14 18:27 PM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Vanden Majestic 4dr Sedan

I have an XJ12 Vanden Plas 4 dr 12 cyl that is hard to find reviews for so I thought I'd post mine in it's little brother's area. This Car is AMAZING. Not only is it of superb comfort and style but the darn thing is bulletproof. It cruises along at 60 - 70 mph without effort and feels more like you're in first class seating on an aircraft. Everything is situated perfectly for comfort and access.

I loved my XJ6 Soveriegn so much I bought TWO!
By jagstimestwo on 03/19/13 19:41 PM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Well always wanted a Jag, just had to have one and finally last year I bought my first jag 1990 Soveriegn and I love it! Loved it so much that 6 mos later we bought at 1992 XJ6 that is exactly the same inside and out as the 1990, Twins! Yes these cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We are lucky to have someone who loves jags and knows how to fix them and knows his way around the junkyard for those hard to find parts! These cars are a labor of love, if you don't love your jags, then don't buy one, cause they can drive you crazy with the maintenance and issues, but when they run its a blast to drive and show! "cats gotta run"

Pleasure to drive
By E J Clout on 06/23/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Convertible

My pride and joy. A great roadster. Plan on buying a hardtop XJS. These are great world class autos.

Good, but not great
By felipeart on 05/29/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Have had my XJ6 Sovereign for 6 years now. A great entry model into Jaguar driving, but get as late a model as possible, 1990 on up or later. Don't get 1989 or lower. If possible get a 1995 or later.

Smooth Rider
By soccadad on 10/01/06 16:14 PM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Coupe

I paid $3K for this car via a friend in the Jaguar business. It was a single owner car with 35K miles. The gel coat was bad, plus I immediately spent another $3K on brakes (a full rear end job is very expensive on any XJS model prior to 95), and it's been worth every penny. I'm about to splash out on a paint job, because I love the old fashioned style of the car, and this one has chrome wire wheels as well. I may have had about 10 Jags, including 3 XJSs, 3 XJ12s, and an XJR (8) and my wife has a 2005 S-Type with all the "bells and whistles", and I think I am enjoying this as much as any, even the XJR. Don't let the low initial cost fool you though. It's not a cheap car to own.

Great exotic Grand Tourer
By Rick on 04/15/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Convertible

The XJS convertible is an awesome car, its supercar V-12 is unlike any other. It produces a sound better than a Ferrari's V-12 and can keep up with one too. Would recommend this car to anyone, especially since preowned prices are low. Great ownership experience never had to take to shop other than scheduled maintenance. Very much like an Aston Martin from the same period; a fast, sophisticated, luxurious, beautiful (inside and out) British GT.

Inexpensive Introduction
By Barry Carter on 07/11/05 01:28 AM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from it's second owner in Dayton, Ohio in '04. It drove like a dream all the way to Dallas. It rained across OH, WVA, VA, TN, & AR. IT got warm in TX. Since then I have replaced the AC compressor, headliner, rack & pinion bushings, some PS hoses, had a brake job, repaired both rear door handles, and tinted the windows. There is some minor body rust to repair. I'd also like to replace the Blauplunkt w/ an original radio. I'm trying to find OEM wheels to replace the current alloys w/ plastic Jag caps. If you are patient and want a great daily driver that doesn't look like everything else on the road, this one was affordable. Which makes restoring it less painful.

first love
By Alero on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

I have always admired these cats on the street and I decided to take the plunge on an older XJ6, 1990. quite frankly I was scared but since then my fears are gone. This is a great car and it rules the highway. One has to remember that the car is after all 15 years old and therefore some things will need taking care of but the engine and major components on this baby are just puuuurrriiing.

AN AWESOME BUY!
By MOUTHPCE on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Coupe

ANY MONEY PUT INTO MAINTENANCE IS EASILY OFFSET BY THE LOW PURCHASE PRICE. IMAGINE A TRUE EXOTIC FOR ABOUT 5K...WOW! PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE...YOU CAN JUSTIFY ANOTHER 5K IN REPAIRS,IF NECESSARY, AND STILL BE AHEAD OF THE MOB. THE V-12 IS A SCREAMER...PURE JAG AL THE WAY FOR A RIDICULOUS PRICE! GO ONLINE TO "JKAG-LOVERS" AND KIRBY PALM'S ONLINE HOW-TO MANUAL IS A GREAT DIAGNOSTIC GUIDE TO REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE.

Excellent Buy
By samwhite on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan

These cars are a steal at 5 to 6K. You get so much luxury for the price and 1990 and above are trouble free.