Used 1990 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Jaguar Xj-series - Consumer Reviews

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Mine's a 1990 XJ12 Vanden Plas - Not listed here but....
By tojoso

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Vanden Majestic 4dr Sedan

I have an XJ12 Vanden Plas 4 dr 12 cyl that is hard to find reviews for so I thought I'd post mine in it's little brother's area. This Car is AMAZING. Not only is it of superb comfort and style but the darn thing is bulletproof. It cruises along at 60 - 70 mph without effort and feels more like you're in first class seating on an aircraft. Everything is situated perfectly for comfort and access.

Favorite Features

Luxuriously smooth ride, ease of access and simplicity of controls, the sunroof, the overall feel of the car...... indulgent

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to parts and that's it.

I loved my XJ6 Soveriegn so much I bought TWO!
By jagstimestwo

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Well always wanted a Jag, just had to have one and finally last year I bought my first jag 1990 Soveriegn and I love it! Loved it so much that 6 mos later we bought at 1992 XJ6 that is exactly the same inside and out as the 1990, Twins! Yes these cars are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We are lucky to have someone who loves jags and knows how to fix them and knows his way around the junkyard for those hard to find parts! These cars are a labor of love, if you don't love your jags, then don't buy one, cause they can drive you crazy with the maintenance and issues, but when they run its a blast to drive and show! "cats gotta run"

Favorite Features

sport mode!

Pleasure to drive
By E J Clout

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Convertible

My pride and joy. A great roadster. Plan on buying a hardtop XJS. These are great world class autos.

Favorite Features

This is a large long roadster. Great on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Easier spark plug replacement.

Good, but not great
By felipeart

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sovereign 4dr Sedan

Have had my XJ6 Sovereign for 6 years now. A great entry model into Jaguar driving, but get as late a model as possible, 1990 on up or later. Don't get 1989 or lower. If possible get a 1995 or later.

Favorite Features

Fantastic engine - bulletproof. Nice styling, silky ride. Few have a Jag, it stands out. I love to drive it, the serene interior keeps me happy in traffic. A car for someone with stronger individualistic tendencies, and more money, although you can get a real nice one now for under $2,000.

Suggested Improvements

Finicky electrics, needs better fitting of interior parts. Expensive to repair. Anything that goes wrong is noticed easier when a car is highly refined. Not very rust resistant to corrosion in certain spots. Runs on premium gas.

Smooth Rider
By soccadad

1990 Jaguar XJ-Series XJS 2dr Coupe

I paid $3K for this car via a friend in the Jaguar business. It was a single owner car with 35K miles. The gel coat was bad, plus I immediately spent another $3K on brakes (a full rear end job is very expensive on any XJS model prior to 95), and it's been worth every penny. I'm about to splash out on a paint job, because I love the old fashioned style of the car, and this one has chrome wire wheels as well. I may have had about 10 Jags, including 3 XJSs, 3 XJ12s, and an XJR (8) and my wife has a 2005 S-Type with all the "bells and whistles", and I think I am enjoying this as much as any, even the XJR. Don't let the low initial cost fool you though. It's not a cheap car to own.

Favorite Features

It's smooth, has that great V12 growl, and is a real head turner. Old fashioned and hand built but with many of today's features like ABS. The chassis is incredible, with ride and handling like nothing else. This is not the car for everyone, but if you like the "character" of Jaguars you'll love it.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the 4 speed gear box of the 95/96 model. It lacks "quickness" off the mark. Make sure you start with a good example, otherwise you'll at least triple your orignal investment in repairs to get what you want.