A Jaguar for all seasons
By george_s48 on
2013 Jaguar XF 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)
I bought the car new in July and now have 9,000 miles on it. It is fast, handles very well and, with all wheel drive, suits my driving requirements. I spend time in Los Angeles, but live 100 miles away in the local mountains. The all-wheel drive works flawlessly. (My last car was a Subaru WRX and the Jag is faster and works just as well in snow). I've always driven manual transmission cars, but the 8-speed auto has won me over. The car is roomy, the interior is elegant and the dash and console design are simple and straight forward without the multiple buttons, dials and lights in German or Japanese luxury sedans. The use of leather and wood trim rather than plastic is a pleasant change.
Favorite Features
First on the list is the mileage. It is rated highway at 26 - 27 mpg. I have been averaging 30 - 32 mpg, and that's with 340 hp available. The various driving modes are excellent also. Foul weather mode works well in snow, rain and ice and the "dynamic" mode is perfect for the 20 miles of mountain road between Los Angeles and home. The crisper shifts, firmed up suspension response and higher shift points are perfect for the elevation changes and twisting two-lane roads. Finally, the adaptive headlights and low beam cutoff point make driving in fog as easy as with a good set of separate fog lights.
Suggested Improvements
I agree that the media center / nav system is a little slow to respond, but after a few weeks I had addapted, and the "take me home button" on the opening screen is a great touch. Another minor irritation is the front seat heaters. When selected, they automatically switch on at the high setting and both front seats turn on, even if there is no front seat passenger. I find that the low setting is more than adequate most of the time, medium is only useful when the interior temperature is below 30 F and the high setting could probably fry eggs on the seat cushions. Finally, the owner's is comprehensive, but the organization sometimes makes it difficult to find wnat you are looking for.