Used 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jaguar XF - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jaguar XF

View reviews for a specific XF model:

Still in love after 3 years
By icuwon1stprize

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

It was love at first sight 3 years ago.
My 2006 E350 Mercedes 4matic had 140,000 and it was getting tired.
Great car, no headaches, just blaa styling.
Then my eyes met the UK headlamps of the Jaguar XF at it was over.
The understated exterior could easily be mistaken for a number of other cars but another glance turns into a stare.
She is gorgeous!
Classic lines draw you in while her interior touches of the transmission knob that rises out of the console to the air vents that open and close when you start the car seal your fate.
Like a beautiful woman, she does have her faults and demands attention.
If you read the posts on how to deal with her querks, she will amaze you!

Styling, tramsmission knob, air vents, performance and reliability. yes, reliability!

Jaguar XF 09
By jagxf09

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

When stopping at a light or stop sign, I feel the jerking of my Jag after I've completely stopped. Is this happening to anybody else? Just bought it OCT 24th 2012 at a really good price but after reading some of the reviews I'm praying I'm not going to regret it. I have a 2001 Inifiniti I-30 as well, and it's been the world to me. No real troubles out of it and i have 270K miles on it and have had it since 04. I love the Jag but!! The factory warranty is already out when i called. Hope someone can shed light. It runs great just that one issue.

Used 2009 XF
By carl_f

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car in May 2012 with 13,000 miles on it. After reading the reviews I was a bit concerned about the low miles, but said "what the hey?", traded in my beloved 2002 XJ8 with 120,000 miles on it and bought it. It has truly been a fun car to drive.

First things first - I can't argue with a car that had a high average of 31.5mpg on a cross-country trip, full average of 27+mpg (rated 16/24). The performance is terrific and the braking is sure and swift. I love the interior and after being so used to the old XJ8 styling, I came to love the exterior styling (thought it a bit rakish at first). Since most of my driving was Interstate freeways, the acceleration was outstanding, the ride tight and quiet. I even ran it up to 100mph and not a complaint!

At this point I would recommend taking a second look at the shifter. I was in Sport Mode climbing the hills into Jerome, AZ. Having found a parking space, I tried to shift into Reverse, was stuck in Drive and finally got the shifter to cooperate (I didn't dare shut off the car and restart). The sunroof switch broke with the sunroof open, but I finally got it closed after a few trys. All in all I can see my Jaguar love affair continuing as my dealer is terrific - their service experience was a real selling point despite the many reviews I read about this car. As noted in other reviews, the rear visibility leaves more to be desired, of course the backing sensors and the camera are a big help

Great warranty
By cyborgen

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time at the garage if you intend to keep the car in good condition and learn to relax...

Jaguar patience requires a visit to India where you will meet with Swami Tata who will teach you how to breathe calmly while your car is being fixed... again ... and again.... breathe slowly he will stay as you decompress in the waiting room. Think of the beauty and transcending flow of the car's hypnotic design.. do not focus on the negative.. relax..

Do your homework !! when your warranty is about to expire, get a full cost accounting of what went wrong.

At this stage I'm not sure post warranty ownership makes economic sense. Its called due diligence.

Best feature is driving away from Jaguar service in a freshly washed XF hoping not to return so soon.

Better QA and building on proven designs requiring less visits back to the service docks.

Gorgeous Car that Nightmares are Made Of!
By twindavid

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second entree with Jaguar. I had purchased the XJ8L for my wife ( her dream car), and found that it was just too big for her. The quality of the car was outstanding, so I decided on the 2009 XF. The car is a real stunner. Handles like a premium sports car should. The fit and finish of the car is second to none. The interior is drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, this is where the fairy-tale ends. We have found this car to be completely unreliable. The XF has a programing issue that allows the car's systems to remain active, therefore draining the battery. We have had the car for a 18 months now, and it has stranded my wife over a half a dozen times.

The exterior design is awesome. The interior styling is jaw dropping. Sound system is great. Handling and power is outrageous.

A programming patch is need to shunt the car's unfortunate tendency of keeping it's electrical system active. The dealership's answer to the problem is immediately locking the car when exiting the vehicle, even in the garage. This solution just diminished the frequency of breakdowns to once every 6 months. We will NEVER consider Jaguar in the future.