Used 2009 Jaguar XF Luxury Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jaguar XF - Consumer Reviews

Luxury Sedan (4.2L V8 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific XF model:
The best car I have owned
By NIKOS on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I owned in the past several BMW cars 3 series and X3. Jaguar is far away in front of BMW in everything. I read about transmission problems. It's all fooleries. It happens to me once but be serious just stop the engine and start it again, the problem fixed by itself! It a problem that can happens to every automatic transmission gear! The dcs is incredible you cannot feel any of the corrections itís making. In all other cars you will hear strange noises when the dcs trying to control the car and you can fill the corrections that made. In jag you do not understand anything at all! The only problem is that jag has a lot of enemies from German car fans.

Can be fixed
By Bill on 08/23/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had most of the same frustrations. The most unreliable vehicle I have owned. But, I have a great dealership, they fix the problems one by one. Car totally without power twice...problem was battery cable coming loose. Dealer installed new battery clip, problem fixed. Transmission stuck. Didn't happen until I took it in for the recall. They performed the repair, I got home, the transmission stuck! They replaced the entire shifter assembly, problem solved. Interior lights going on, software upload fixed them. Radio and touch screen replaced. The latest; car would not start for 15 minutes, then started fine, still a mystery. So far so good on brakes. 16k miles, I wont see it hit 30K

Starting to have problems
By TeeBee on 07/21/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The second time in as many weeks that the tow truck have had to tow for the gear shifter. The Jaguar dealership in Austin Tx is just as bad with repairs. I will not own another Jag, I hate the way they have treated my wife through this process. It took 2 weeks to get the part, the car had to be towed to the dealership and they gave us a hard time with loaner and rental vehicles.

Problem free
By Cat Lover on 05/25/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Rare enough to draw admirers, comfortable, fast. Great gas mileage for such a fast, heavy car. No problems to report.

We are all Heartbroken
By So Dissappointed on 05/19/10 08:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I feel the pain of the other owners. My car has been the worst investment ever. Yes the car looks good but it is far from reliable and I would not recommend it anyone. My problems for the last 2 years include: total shutdown with no power to the car (towed to dealership), 2 months later, total shutdown again no power to the car, transmission stuck in drive (towed), computer system failure (in the shop for 33 days), 3 sets of brakes, internal lights flashing on an off, constant no start issues. The problems start at 3000 miles and have never stopped. This car has major electrical problems and Jaguar and Momentum (dealership) knows it and will not admit to the problems. You are not safe!

Transmission nightmare
By CA dreamin on 03/21/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Read the other review about this Jaguar having transmission problems. The exact same thing is happening with the 2009 Jaguar XF that I have. It is getting stuck in park. Had to have it towed to the Jaguar dealership because none is in the town I live in. SUPPOSEDLY they fixed it. One day later the exact same thing happened - stuck in park. Now I can not drive the car and have to get it towed once again. Less than 20,000 miles on this car and it is doing this. This is a serious malfunction that Jaguar must not be able to fix! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.

BEWARE!!! The car gets stuck in gear!!!
By UW HUSKY FAN on 02/16/10 18:20 PM (PST)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

OK...I have been very impressed with my Jaguar until now. It has 20,000 miles on it and it's starting to fall apart. That's unacceptable for a car that's a year old. I just brought it to Jaguar dealership and they notified me of a recall because the car gets stuck in gear. I just brought it there 4 days ago and SUPPOSEDLY they fixed it. Tonight when I got home it was stuck in gear. Bad work by the dealership? Possibly, but no car a year old should have major transmission problems like this. It's a total inconvenience and I'm lucky I was at home and not somewhere else. The car has been great but this is a MAJOR issue and has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Great Car
By hattmann on 12/08/09 10:13 AM (PST)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 4th Jaguar. This car is truly an E ticket ride. Snappy acceleration and great handling. Paddle shifters are a kick. And the sound as you go through 4000 RPM's. Wow, Can't even fathom what the SC version is like.

fun to drive
By raviji on 08/02/09 05:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

we took the car on a 850mi round trip...performed very well. Average 26 miles despite getting stuck in montreal traffic. Much better than infiniti G35. other than minor issues, car has performed very well.

My experience was not good
By JP on 07/30/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Jaguar XF Luxury 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Very appearing car until the problems start. On way home from dealer, engine light came on. Took it back and they could not explain what is use (Computer should give some kind of code). Said battery may have been low, so they recharged and reset computer. On way home from dealer, differential started making noise. Took back again. Dealer thought may be normal. Drove another with mechanic and they acknowledged should not make noise. Had to obtain approval from Jaguar to repair. At this point I had enough. After 170 miles, 150 of which were back and forth to dealer, I returned car. Cost me $6,000.00 to have dealer buy back car. Be careful going down this road. Jaguar USA didn't care!