Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Best Kept Secret
By J Smythe

2005 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has been outstanding since I purchased it. 2.5L w/manual transmission is the way to go--good performance and good gas mileage. Clutch is not quite Porsche, but only one step below. The X Type does every thing well and, with the AWD, there is no need for my 4WD Pick Up here in the Wash. DC area. Looks great--most people think I paid way more for it than I did.

Favorite feature is the handling.

Larger/expandable sun visors.

Excellent but needs minor improvements
By Nicolas

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 X TYPE driven only 3400 miles since new has a little noise or click when it engages the AWD and the transmission at speeds lower than 30 MPH, It is similar to the noises in the old cardan shafts system and crosses attaching the transmission and the differential of american cars. The dealer revised the noise and the AWD system but found "nothing wrong". It is very difficult to read the trip computer window due to daylight glare. No problem during night time.

Jaguar personality and luxuries.

AWD engagement noises. Trip computer, deficient daytime visibility.

My 2nd X type
By sharon

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd x-type. My other one is a 2002 Platinum sport... love it! Only a few simple problems such a a malfunctioning trunk lock and some recall service... all covered under warranty plus the dealer provided a free Jaguar rental car. My new car is just a beautiful and I am leasing for a similar price to my 2002 model! Glad I did not have to downsize! The best feature is the AWD! I live in WI and we get bad snow and ice... this car's wheels NEVER spin! Grips the road! Love it!

AWD, style, and there are not millions of them out on the road like Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.

Cup holders (not deep enough), need another plug to charge cell phone, integrate ipod into glove box like Mercedes is doing. Could add a little more leg room for rear passengers. Some new cars have a built in water bottle holder in the doors....this is a great idea, Jag should consider it!

What A Disaster!
By Todd

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please! I beg you to think twice before buying an X type. I have had it for 3 months... and it has been nothing but a disaster! The remotes don't work, the gas tank does not open!! The windows are constantly breaking and get stuck in one position. The plastic buttons on the inside break off!!! Stay as far away as you can!!!!

The outside look.

Improved electrical features... windows, door locks. The plastic on the inside (i.e. radio, ac controls) are made cheaply and poorly.

Why the Bad Rap?
By Adam

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I read all the reviews before buying my X-type and I was a little worried as most seemed to give the car a bad rap. After owning it for 8 months I have found only minor things I would change on the car. Most reviews said the car wasn't as sporty as the other small cars in it's class. While that may be true not everyone is looking for a sports car. With the 230hp engine the Jag will get you anywhere you need to go plenty fast. If you're looking to blow the doors off other cars go buy a Mustang Cobra for the same price. For the rest of us who are just looking to ride around in style this car is perfect. Drives nice, looks sharp, and I haven't had any issues yet.

The heated seats automatically turn off after 15 minutes. Not my favorite feature.