Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Ocean to desert round robin
By proflovell

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only reason I did not give the interior design a 10 rating is because, at 6'1", I have tended toward larger cars. That said, a recent 1200 mile journey to Death Valley & return was our maiden trip to put the "darling little car" (my wife's description) through a gentle test run. We tent-camped in Furnace Creek, hauling all we needed in the cargo area; freeway driving was a fun run for a change with the sport-feel of the road; country curves & desert "thank-you-mums" were even more pleasurable with the X-Type's road- hugging & shorter wheelbase handling. Our 25 mpg average on this trip was most welcome in light of the $3+ pump prices; a fair exchange for a downsized wagon.

Favorite Features

Memory seat: it is my wife's car, I get to drive it at her pleasure - I'm tall, she is less so! Turn off ignition & interior lighting comes on - nice! Close clustering of instruments & controls; leather interior; our first sun/moon roof; engine purrs just as a contented mid- sized cat should.

Suggested Improvements

More contrast between instrument messaging & background; larger message screen for the aging eyes of the upmarket buyers you should be targeting; center armrest should be beefed up; check back with me in a year - I might have more!

2005 X-TYPE 3.0 VDP Edition
By Nice Jag

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nice comfortable ride. Love the interior leather and the exterior styling on my VDP edition. Decent acceleration but not mind blowing off the line. I expect the manual would be a bit more fun. Roomy in the front and the back seat is par for the course. Nice build quality and has a large trunk. Alpine stereo is ok but the bass needs a little more depth at least for my ears. Seem to be getting 20.9 mpg but I have a heavy foot. AWD is nice -corners ok but does feel a little loose at higher speeds but hey this isn't a sports car. The local Jag service department seems very helpful. I am really enjoying this car and getting a lot of compliments on the interior and exterior styling!

Favorite Features

Styling, AWD, automatic headlights, all the airbags, reverse parking, large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Auto folding exterior mirrors, more torque would be nice, interior button for trunk release and a button to unlock all doors.

Great little Jag
By wm

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded 2000 S-Type, hated to let it go, perfect for 130000 miles+. But needed wagon type AWD vehicle, not SUV. Still get admiring glances, although not as many as we did with S- Type. Comfortible, beautiful, classy, great in snow. Plenty of power, and most luxury features found in higher priced cars. Carpeting and sunvisors are cheap jack, but overall cars lives up to its image. Wife loves to drive it, and feels very secure doing so in adverse weather.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, room

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior a couple of notches

Wagon is superior to x-type sedan
By roger

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is second x-type (first was sedan)- this is an awesome car, and we love driving it- great power, great handling, and love the style. It's roomier than the sedan (in the back) and the storage capacity is wonderful. The styling is excellent, and it sets you apart from the crowd. Dealership is great to work with, and service is excellent. Highly recommend this car as it comes with all comforts without the confusion of myriad of option packages. Get the nav system and bluetooth

Favorite Features

Bluetooth for phone, engine power, interior, sound, and navigation system

Suggested Improvements

None. This is an excellent car and a joy to drive

Good value for the money
By np

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the car at the end of the year. Saved the first year's depreciation. It is more agile than the 99 bmw 528 I had. Gas mileage is not quite as good so far, about 23mpg. Interior is exceptionally nice. Exterior is also exceptional. Engine could use another 15-20 hp but not bad. No issues so far. Handling is not quite as good as a bmw 325, but for every day use it works great.

Favorite Features

Leather and wood interior is beautiful and better than the bmw or mercedes. Exterior paint is about perfect (no orange peel anywhere).

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage by about 3 mpg. Add about 20 hp to engine.