Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Great Deal
By Michael in Iowa

2005 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 65. This is my 17th car and the first that's more than basic transportation. I have the basic X- type with no options: manual transmission and the small engine. To me, given a same-price choice between the X-type and a mid-level Accord or Camry is a no-brainer. The Accord and Camry are larger, but the X-type just lovely. It's beautifully equipped and a pleasure to drive. It seems powerful and sporty. Gas mileage, 19/28, is good for an all wheel drive car with 192 HP, and the shifter is the smoothest I've ever worked. I'd buy another.

Favorite Features

Very comfy seats that don't get tiresome after hundreds of miles. A large trunk. A fine sound system that picks up distant stations clearly and without static. Cruise control that maintains exactly the desired speed.

Suggested Improvements

Just a few quibbles: The crank to raise and lower the seatback is stiff, poorly located, and requires too many rotations. The headlights are not automatic. The ignition is located in a hard-to-find spot.

Fun to Drive
By Keith

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had never considered buying a Jag until I happened to test drive one while my wife was looking for a new car. It took me by surprise how much fun I had driving the 2.5 5 speed manual. Yes the car is not perfect but I think it holds its own against the BMW 3 and Merz C. I haven't had this much fun driving a car since I was a 16 year old with a Camaro. New X-types are a little pricey but a good value can be found with a Certified Pre-owned Jaguar. I ended up buying a 3.0 auto with the sport package. I miss shifting gears but still have more fun than I thought was possible driving a sedan. After 3 months I'm still happy I bought the car

Favorite Features

Styling, wood trim, leather seats and that distinctive hood ornament. Build quality is good, interior pieces fit well with no squeaks or rattles. Smooth highway ride.

Suggested Improvements

Seat could be a little wider.

Nice VDP
By Todd

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased an elite VDP 3.0 with decked out rims, etc. Happy with car overall. Hit deer going 40 mph and car held up to impact surprisingly well - only cosmetic damage. Very sturdy car (had Volvo previously) - feel safe. Some transmission issues already. Fails to up/downshift causing annoying jerking to ride. Trans seems to slip. Premium stereo could be better. Would like more interior space - need to adjust seats for different size guests depending where they sit. Larger sun visors would be nice. Don't like the center armrest much.

Favorite Features

Status and VIP valet treatment! Easy to drive, handles well and looks sexy. Like the AWD especially in snow. VDP is a nice touch. 17" Rims make the car stand out from the siblings. Steering wheel buttons. J shift. Car's strength.

Suggested Improvements

More interior space. Easier rear seat access. Better subs for stereo. Sun visors which work better. Heavy top down tint on front window. Retire green dash lights. Offer high performance engine like the Super V8. Better transmission. Retractable rear headrests. Less dust producing brake pads.

2005 X-type VDP
By Andy

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I am very pleased with my experience with the car. The styling is exquisite and the interior elegance is above its competitors. The car has plenty of power (3L V6 engine) to make my driving fun and leave a fair amount of cars behind.

Favorite Features

The wood work on this car is superior to other cars in the same class. It gives it that Jaguar special touch and feeling. The touch-screen GPS/audio/climate control center is well appointed and easy to work.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a bit low for a V6 engine, particularly when other Jaguar V8s are giving better MPG.

My Jag
By stanny

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After driving a mercedes for 7 years and RX7s for 11 years I switched to the Jag. I could not be happier, it drives like a sports coupe, but still has a safe backseat for my 7 yr old daughter.

Favorite Features

Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger speaker covers in the backseat, mine broke within 6 months after my daughter hit it with her foot getting out of the car, then of course you have to replace the ENTIRE door panel, you can't just replace the speaker cover.