Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon - Consumer Reviews

3.0L Sportwagon 3.0L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

No"disappointment" by me
By pandahenry

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several BMW's,Mini Cooper(s)and other Jaguars.
This is the Wife's "Dog and plant hauler" it has 72k mi. and is works fine...
the ride has deteriorated but that might be in part to recent tire purchase
In the 8 years we have owned= only 2 problems..a brake boost seal-replaced under warranty.
The other "problem" was the discovery of expensive performance components like the Special F Brake discs.
I suppose the disappointing" stems from poor sales numbers?
I see many of these vehicles still on the road here in Coastal Southern California
So I am guessing it is Jaguar Purists who find the X-type as "disappointing"
So to the purists who downbrow our car..this car is fast "like a Jaguar"..it is fun to drive "like a Jaguar" it has unique style and grace,"like a Jaguar.
has expensive upkeep.."like a Jaguar...so are not those qualities found in most Jaguars?
We get many long looks of admiration, wonder and curiosity .
We are glad that Jaguar has re-introduced the SportBrake " (as they call it in England) I wish they exported them to the USA because of the new high tech diesel.
We are looking at the 2017 F-pace because this Wagon is discontinued, we do not know how much longer parts are available and when repair frequency might happen .

Jaaaaaag Wagon
By Lymeboy

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven mostly BMW's for the past 20 years. I purchased this 05 Jaguar Sportwagon in July 07 and I am delighted with the design, build quality, aesthetics, and driving dynamics. It can not be compared to BMW, MB, Audi, etc., as it is British, not German. The wagon is elegant inside and out, it is comfortable for a guy with back problems. I have only seen one other Jag Wagon in the state of Maine---I do not see myself coming and going.

The growl of the exhaust when I step on it, heated seats, manually shifting the auto box. The beautiful lines of the exterior and the elegance of the interior.

The fuel mileage is less than ideal and the transmission shifts into fifth too soon for my taste. It feels like the engine is bogging in 5th gear if the tach is below 2000rpm.

Great Car
By CMcnam8163

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my car. I never have seen another one on the road. This car is so practical, I really hope they continue making them. I'm really tired of SUVs and this car is the perfect alternative. Really stylish!

I turn a lot of head when driving the car.

Interior leather is cheap! Leather scratches easily.

Ocean to desert round robin
By proflovell

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only reason I did not give the interior design a 10 rating is because, at 6'1", I have tended toward larger cars. That said, a recent 1200 mile journey to Death Valley & return was our maiden trip to put the "darling little car" (my wife's description) through a gentle test run. We tent-camped in Furnace Creek, hauling all we needed in the cargo area; freeway driving was a fun run for a change with the sport-feel of the road; country curves & desert "thank-you-mums" were even more pleasurable with the X-Type's road- hugging & shorter wheelbase handling. Our 25 mpg average on this trip was most welcome in light of the $3+ pump prices; a fair exchange for a downsized wagon.

Memory seat: it is my wife's car, I get to drive it at her pleasure - I'm tall, she is less so! Turn off ignition & interior lighting comes on - nice! Close clustering of instruments & controls; leather interior; our first sun/moon roof; engine purrs just as a contented mid- sized cat should.

More contrast between instrument messaging & background; larger message screen for the aging eyes of the upmarket buyers you should be targeting; center armrest should be beefed up; check back with me in a year - I might have more!

Great little Jag
By wm

2005 Jaguar X-Type Wagon 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded 2000 S-Type, hated to let it go, perfect for 130000 miles+. But needed wagon type AWD vehicle, not SUV. Still get admiring glances, although not as many as we did with S- Type. Comfortible, beautiful, classy, great in snow. Plenty of power, and most luxury features found in higher priced cars. Carpeting and sunvisors are cheap jack, but overall cars lives up to its image. Wife loves to drive it, and feels very secure doing so in adverse weather.

Looks, power, room

Upgrade interior a couple of notches