Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

There is absolutely NOTHING in the world like driving a Jag
By skargo

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used 6 months ago and I still hate the fact that pulling in my driveway means that my drive has ended! I look forward to getting into the car every morning and looking down the amazing curves of the hood to follow my chrome cat to work. The car handles like a sports car. You can do the sharpest turns and curves at the highest speeds and the car doesn't flinch. It is small but comfortably room in the front - I can't say as much for the back - it's kind of cramped...but I will only ever be sitting behind the wheel of this car! You are surrounded by wood, leather, and an amazing Alpine sound system...who could ask for more!

Favorite Features

The car is a head turner. It absolutely does not look its age and the style is still extremely sharp. Most people that see it think it is brand new. The Alpine system in it gives a great full bodied sound and the remote features from the steering wheel are awesome. The car is really very simple to operate, and is a great balance of not too simple looking and not looking like the cockpit of a fighter jet - they really did a beautiful job designing the interior. The power heated memory seats are firm and very comfortable. The color combos are amazing...mine is cream with a darker brown and a wood grain that meets in the middle. AWD is AMAZING in snow. I live in RI and have no issues at all.

Suggested Improvements

The ride could be a little softer - I have a sport suspension so the handling is amazing, but it can sometimes feel like my old Jeep. Changing a headlamp is shear insanity - aside from that I cannot express how much I love this car! Excellent value for the money, and you'll feel like a million bucks driving it!

Good value but has drawbacks
By S. Chapman

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car as it had excellent value for resale and was AWD - others tested were the Audi A4 & Volvo S60 - the Jag just seemed like a better value for $$$ - the 3L V6 engine delivers smooth cruising power but has enough pickup punch to pass slower trucks/traffic on the highway. The AWD is great in poor weather and snow (make sure you check to see if its equipped with Traction control - mine was not and feels somewhat like a RWD car in heavy snow - light tail end). Also the name brand: Jaguar - it has a lengthy pedigree and the car is not very common on the road - unlike other executive BMW's & Audi's - which seem to be everywhere.

Favorite Features

AWD , navigation system, leather interior with heated seats are a must for longer commutes & trips. Looks - this car is a head turner and attracts a lot of attention in parking lots & at the lights. J-Gate transmission - gives the car a peppier feel when in "manual" mode.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality - suspension & alignments (in the last 6 months it's been done 3 times) - known quality issues with regards to transmission, transfer case & prop-shafts - get one with a warranty cause otherwise its big $$$ to replace.

The Jag
By Venessa

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jaguar x-type vdp edition is my 3rd vehicle that I've owned and by far the most fun and luxurious vehicle. I get so many compliments on it, and people think that I've paid a fortune. Luckily, I got a great deal for an awesome product. I've heard some negative things about Jaguar and so far I have not experienced any of them and I've had the car for almost 6 months. I don't know how anyone can see this car doesn't compare to the BMW 3 series or Mercedes C Class. This car definitely has a lot going for it plus more. I don't regret this purchase at all.

Favorite Features

My #1 favorite feature is the navigation because I get lost everywhere and this definitely helps. Also the seats are so comfortable, you can sleep in them. The controls are easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is the fuel efficiency. It is not that great. I definitely fill up my car a lot more often then any other car that I've owned. Also the cup holders are not that convenient. I can't even fit a Snapple bottle in them.

Amazing - get a 2005 or newer!
By Jag

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, I researched the car before purchase, saw that 2001-03 had some problems, Jaguars Quality Initiative 04 put over 1000 new components in this car. My 2005 is awesome. Great driving experience, curves and hills are my favorite, AWD will be a blessing this winter. Luxury interior leaves you feeling like and people thinking that you paid a fortune for this car.

Favorite Features

Windows that go completely down, putting the moon roof open and driving with the wind blowing thru the car. Amazing trunk space considering its a relatively small gar, I am getting 29 MPG in this on righ now. Front and rear fog lamps are really nice.

Great Deal
By Michael in Iowa

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 65. This is my 17th car and the first that's more than basic transportation. I have the basic X- type with no options: manual transmission and the small engine. To me, given a same-price choice between the X-type and a mid-level Accord or Camry is a no-brainer. The Accord and Camry are larger, but the X-type just lovely. It's beautifully equipped and a pleasure to drive. It seems powerful and sporty. Gas mileage, 19/28, is good for an all wheel drive car with 192 HP, and the shifter is the smoothest I've ever worked. I'd buy another.

Favorite Features

Very comfy seats that don't get tiresome after hundreds of miles. A large trunk. A fine sound system that picks up distant stations clearly and without static. Cruise control that maintains exactly the desired speed.

Suggested Improvements

Just a few quibbles: The crank to raise and lower the seatback is stiff, poorly located, and requires too many rotations. The headlights are not automatic. The ignition is located in a hard-to-find spot.