2005 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
There is absolutely NOTHING in the world like driving a Jag
By skargo on 03/14/13 19:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used 6 months ago and I still hate the fact that pulling in my driveway means that my drive has ended! I look forward to getting into the car every morning and looking down the amazing curves of the hood to follow my chrome cat to work. The car handles like a sports car. You can do the sharpest turns and curves at the highest speeds and the car doesn't flinch. It is small but comfortably room in the front - I can't say as much for the back - it's kind of cramped...but I will only ever be sitting behind the wheel of this car! You are surrounded by wood, leather, and an amazing Alpine sound system...who could ask for more!

Jaaaaaag Wagon
By Lymeboy on 11/02/09 16:33 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven mostly BMW's for the past 20 years. I purchased this 05 Jaguar Sportwagon in July 07 and I am delighted with the design, build quality, aesthetics, and driving dynamics. It can not be compared to BMW, MB, Audi, etc., as it is British, not German. The wagon is elegant inside and out, it is comfortable for a guy with back problems. I have only seen one other Jag Wagon in the state of Maine---I do not see myself coming and going.

Good value but has drawbacks
By S. Chapman on 02/26/09 06:58 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car as it had excellent value for resale and was AWD - others tested were the Audi A4 & Volvo S60 - the Jag just seemed like a better value for $$$ - the 3L V6 engine delivers smooth cruising power but has enough pickup punch to pass slower trucks/traffic on the highway. The AWD is great in poor weather and snow (make sure you check to see if its equipped with Traction control - mine was not and feels somewhat like a RWD car in heavy snow - light tail end). Also the name brand: Jaguar - it has a lengthy pedigree and the car is not very common on the road - unlike other executive BMW's & Audi's - which seem to be everywhere.

The Jag
By Venessa on 02/16/09 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jaguar x-type vdp edition is my 3rd vehicle that I've owned and by far the most fun and luxurious vehicle. I get so many compliments on it, and people think that I've paid a fortune. Luckily, I got a great deal for an awesome product. I've heard some negative things about Jaguar and so far I have not experienced any of them and I've had the car for almost 6 months. I don't know how anyone can see this car doesn't compare to the BMW 3 series or Mercedes C Class. This car definitely has a lot going for it plus more. I don't regret this purchase at all.

Amazing - get a 2005 or newer!
By Jag on 08/28/08 18:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, I researched the car before purchase, saw that 2001-03 had some problems, Jaguars Quality Initiative 04 put over 1000 new components in this car. My 2005 is awesome. Great driving experience, curves and hills are my favorite, AWD will be a blessing this winter. Luxury interior leaves you feeling like and people thinking that you paid a fortune for this car.

Great Deal
By Michael in Iowa on 08/15/08 00:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 65. This is my 17th car and the first that's more than basic transportation. I have the basic X- type with no options: manual transmission and the small engine. To me, given a same-price choice between the X-type and a mid-level Accord or Camry is a no-brainer. The Accord and Camry are larger, but the X-type just lovely. It's beautifully equipped and a pleasure to drive. It seems powerful and sporty. Gas mileage, 19/28, is good for an all wheel drive car with 192 HP, and the shifter is the smoothest I've ever worked. I'd buy another.

Fun to Drive
By Keith on 02/18/07 08:35 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had never considered buying a Jag until I happened to test drive one while my wife was looking for a new car. It took me by surprise how much fun I had driving the 2.5 5 speed manual. Yes the car is not perfect but I think it holds its own against the BMW 3 and Merz C. I haven't had this much fun driving a car since I was a 16 year old with a Camaro. New X-types are a little pricey but a good value can be found with a Certified Pre-owned Jaguar. I ended up buying a 3.0 auto with the sport package. I miss shifting gears but still have more fun than I thought was possible driving a sedan. After 3 months I'm still happy I bought the car

Nice VDP
By Todd on 01/09/07 19:28 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased an elite VDP 3.0 with decked out rims, etc. Happy with car overall. Hit deer going 40 mph and car held up to impact surprisingly well - only cosmetic damage. Very sturdy car (had Volvo previously) - feel safe. Some transmission issues already. Fails to up/downshift causing annoying jerking to ride. Trans seems to slip. Premium stereo could be better. Would like more interior space - need to adjust seats for different size guests depending where they sit. Larger sun visors would be nice. Don't like the center armrest much.

2005 X-type VDP
By Andy on 12/28/06 12:01 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I am very pleased with my experience with the car. The styling is exquisite and the interior elegance is above its competitors. The car has plenty of power (3L V6 engine) to make my driving fun and leave a fair amount of cars behind.

My Jag
By stanny on 12/18/06 03:27 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After driving a mercedes for 7 years and RX7s for 11 years I switched to the Jag. I could not be happier, it drives like a sports coupe, but still has a safe backseat for my 7 yr old daughter.