So far, so good!
By jimmhs73 on
2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
Bought my 1-owner X-Type locally, excellent cond., "Platinum" color, with 116k miles in January after reading all I could on-line & checking with another X-Type owner. Put all new Kumho tires on right away. I've driven close to 2k miles and absolutely no complaints. Super smooth shifting, quick acceleration, very quiet ride - except for hearing the transmission (apparently common) and a little wind noise at highway speeds if I have the interior shade for sunroof pulled back. Parts are outrageously expensive - found local Carquest can get OEM parts for a lot less. Paid $6k & dealer fee. Everyone amazed-beautiful, well-built car for the money!
Favorite Features
Looks, classic styling, most fun to drive of any car we've owned (Ford, Chrysler, Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Toyota). Has sealed transmission-cannot add trans fluid. Engine coolant-150k product - clean. Would definitely buy again.
Suggested Improvements
Headlight switch - so used to stem mounted switch, hard to get used to. Adjustable lumbar support.
By jimmhs73
on 06/25/12 16:51 PM (PDT)

Update: Almost a year and a half with this car. Only thing I've done is put new tires on (previous post - Kumho tires going strong), change the front brake pads (DIY), oil changes, air filter changes (DIY)... and use premium gas. Folks still cannot believe that it is eight years old! Runs great, looks great. After one of the oil changes, I noticed the car started to run hot. A week later, started out on a long trip & car started overheating. Stopped to check it out - small connector tube to the coolant reservoir was broken right where it connected to the tank, like someone leaned on it when looking for the oil filter perhaps? No way to prove it... stopped in NAPA & the guy gave me two small sections of flexible tubing (I bought two gallons of antifreeze). Fixed the leak in 10 minutes and back on my way. That was last December (today is June 25) and no problems since. Drove supremely well in light snow (that's all we had this year) and handles great in all conditions. 135K and still plenty of pep.

By jimmhs73
on 06/25/12 16:53 PM (PDT)

Forgot to mention - Got 28 mpg on recent trip. Most of the time 24-25 on the highway, 19-20 mpg around town.