Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Great performance & dependability
By brenda9417

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sadly, I totaled my Jag last week. It had over 105,000 miles and still drove like it was new off the lot! Whether in sport mode or regular this Jag hugs the road like a dream, stops on a dime, and accelerates on demand. Of course, I did service my car regularly- -which helps with whatever car you own. I had no doubt in my mind that the car would have rolled over 300,000 miles. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus and BMW and would (hands down) place this car above all of those on reliability and performance. I am currently looking for another X-type to replace it!

Favorite Features

Overall performance, great sound system, the overall dependability of the car, the comfort and stunning style. Oh, and I love the Jaguar "growl" the engine makes when you're rolling down the road.

Suggested Improvements

The center console could be improved.

Not the stereo-type Jaguar
By Jeff

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2.5 X-type with 5-speed which I purchased new and it's now about 5 year old. This car has had one warranty issue in 5 years and otherwise it has been perfect. Handling is great although you must be willing to let the car lean into a curve on back roads. AWD has been great for trips to Vermont. I will definitely buy another Jaguar. The old stereotype of quality is way over. This is a very good entry luxury car for the money and it's not just as common as dirt like so many other makes either German or Japanese.

Favorite Features

AWD makes driving in rain no sweat compared to FWD or RWD.

Suggested Improvements

Would have opted for 3.0L V6 for more power but the 2.5 V6 is solid.

A great baby Jag
By Pete V.

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my jag new in 2004, and still own it and love it. After comparing it to BMW 325, MB C240 and others, it was the best car for the price. I still get lots of on lookers and the car looks / runs great with no problems after almost 5 years. It also came with a "no cost" maintenance for 4 years, so all I paid for was gas until today. :-)

Favorite Features

Great looks, in and out. AWD and price.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love my Jag
By moni

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car for a few years now. I bought it used in 06 and now it is 09. I have just done the 60k tune up and I still love it as much as the day I brought it home. It is older, has some scratches but I love the AWD (main reason I didn't buy a Mercedes) and it suits me and my personality. I have never had any problems at all with my car... and now if I had the money would probably buy the new one!! Jag baby... Jag.

Favorite Features

sexy styling, seats are comfy, sun roof, wood grain

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo!

Cat, Subies and Bimmers, 70K update.
By kkakear

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, so said I wouldn't buy it out of the lease and I did anyway. It was the cheapest thing to do. Just put shocks, struts, tires and front brakes on it, all wear items. Haven't had any other problems other than a front axle seal leak, covered under warranty. The car's style stands out in a sea of styling mediocrity and angry kitchen appliances. Gas mileage stands at 23 MPG on premium fuel over 71K miles. Never any major problems, just a bunch of annoying small ones and it has never left us sitting, unlike every Japanese car we've ever owned.

Favorite Features

The overall packaging is really nice and the wood and leather interior is just beautiful and wears like nails.

Suggested Improvements

Too late, they don't import them to America anymore. Guess the dealers didn't like putting up with demanding working buyers. Guess I'll have to be another mindless Bimmer buyer next.