2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Working better than I thought!
By longhorn57 on 06/05/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Jag with 23k miles in June 07. After I bought it, I read all these horror stories about how awful the car was. Well, so far, after one whole year, it's really been fine. It's very fun to drive, looks extremely attractive, has some nice pep, and the gas mileage is OK. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the car continues to operate reliability. So far, so good!

First Jaguar
By Mike V on 05/21/08 11:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first Jaguar, Purchased it with only 14580 miles on it, Select edition certified. Have already put 2500 miles on the car and it is awesome! Fast, responsive, and good looking. The J shifter is fun, wood inside is looks great, I'm a big guy and the seats are great, I spent many years driving a land rover and supportin OPEC, I get almost twice the MPG, I average 27 MPG on the highway and about 22 in the city. Jaguar is great! I'm hooked!

It's a comfortable drive
By Edward on 03/16/08 22:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Especially in the snow when the all wheel drive makes you feel like your driving a little tank. This is complemented by a very nice interior design. The low profile tires, however, are not very good because I have to avoid potholes. I wouldn’t mind the gas mileage if I didn’t have to drive 120 miles a day.

2004 Jaguar
By James on 09/12/07 14:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The odometer on my X-Type just turned 60k w/ no major problems to report. The car has had a loud squeal which appears to emanate from the underside of the car since the day I brought it home. The dealer told me it's normal, that all Jaguars make noise and the decibels are acceptable. A sound shield was installed to muffle the noise, but I still hear it. Aside from that, the dash vents popped off. The dealer replaced them, citing a defect in the plugs that secure them to the dashboard. Overall, the car is nice and is a pleasure to drive. Relatively short money for a luxury vehicle. I'd likely buy another, but will make certain it doesn't squeal before I drive out of the dealership.

OK but Reliability Issues a Concern
By Peter C. on 06/06/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did tons of research when I purchased this car. Bought for ridiculously cheap price. All and all drives nice, on par with other entry level luxury vehicles. Many issues have popped up including replacement of propshaft, faulty seat heater, grinding noise when braking, faulty sunroof (had to be fixed twice). For price I paid, and magnitude of repairs (small but annoying) I am not unhappy but if I had to do it again, I would probably have purchased the Volvo S-60 instead.

Very Nice Used Purchase
By Massachusetts Driver on 04/29/07 19:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2004 jaguar x type. It runs great and is incredibly roomy. The trunk is huge and the rear seats fold down for skis, and other large objects in the trunk. I paid $18,300 for a 2004 (3 years old) and am happy with my deal. The car is quiet, comfortable and fast. I also have been averaging close to 25 MPG on the highway. I have checked out the BMWs and find as new and used cars they are very expensive. The Jag offers a less harsh ride, and a far more economical used purchase. All amenities work well, and the car is really a value. It also offers a slightly more individualistic and eccentric statement than the BMW.

X-Type Unreliable
By Kelley on 04/27/07 19:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From the time that I purchased this vehicle, it spent more time in the shop then I spent driving the vehicle. Unfortunately, I decided to purchase this vehicle instead of lease. The car has very little residual value now at 55,000 miles and I have had to put over $3000 into the vehicle in the last two months because of the poor quality of this vehicle. The vehicle is pretty to look at and yes it will turn heads, however, it has been a complete waste of money for me. I am a professional and do not have time to waste getting a vehicle repaired constantly.

Nice car for the price
By SouthCarolinaGuy on 02/21/07 07:38 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've leased this car for the past 39 months. I love the styling, smooth ride. The AWD just hugs the road. Turning, parking,etc. all great. I feel safe driving this car. Great visibility all around. I have not been pleased with the workmanship. My dash vents have popped up, the cloth covering on the roof support along the windsheld is wrinkling, the lighted mirror on the passenger visor won't stay up - flops down when opened. The covering for the driver-side rear view mirror disappeared - assume it just fell off. The oil pan gasket had a leak that was repaired under warranty. Back seat is tight, but I rarely have passengers there.

Great Cat
By Frank K on 01/20/07 12:43 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great value. I know this is a Ford based car, but the value is great. The ride is firm and yet comfortable. Huge trunk. No issues, recalls and free maintenance!!

Best certified car out there
By P Medina on 01/17/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased this 2004 Jaguar X- type and so far I love this car. I was looking for a nice affordable luxury car and decided to check out Jaguar. I was very impressed with the style of the car. The interior is very nice and comfortable with all of the options a nice luxury car should have. I love driving a 5 spd and love that the x- type has it. I can not wait to test the awd in the bad weather. I have had the car for a short period of time but love it so far.