2004 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Not the stereo-type Jaguar
By Jeff on 06/26/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2.5 X-type with 5-speed which I purchased new and it's now about 5 year old. This car has had one warranty issue in 5 years and otherwise it has been perfect. Handling is great although you must be willing to let the car lean into a curve on back roads. AWD has been great for trips to Vermont. I will definitely buy another Jaguar. The old stereotype of quality is way over. This is a very good entry luxury car for the money and it's not just as common as dirt like so many other makes either German or Japanese.

A great baby Jag
By Pete V. on 06/25/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my jag new in 2004, and still own it and love it. After comparing it to BMW 325, MB C240 and others, it was the best car for the price. I still get lots of on lookers and the car looks / runs great with no problems after almost 5 years. It also came with a "no cost" maintenance for 4 years, so all I paid for was gas until today. :-)

Love my Jag
By moni on 06/08/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car for a few years now. I bought it used in 06 and now it is 09. I have just done the 60k tune up and I still love it as much as the day I brought it home. It is older, has some scratches but I love the AWD (main reason I didn't buy a Mercedes) and it suits me and my personality. I have never had any problems at all with my car... and now if I had the money would probably buy the new one!! Jag baby... Jag.

Cat, Subies and Bimmers, 70K update.
By kkakear on 04/07/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, so said I wouldn't buy it out of the lease and I did anyway. It was the cheapest thing to do. Just put shocks, struts, tires and front brakes on it, all wear items. Haven't had any other problems other than a front axle seal leak, covered under warranty. The car's style stands out in a sea of styling mediocrity and angry kitchen appliances. Gas mileage stands at 23 MPG on premium fuel over 71K miles. Never any major problems, just a bunch of annoying small ones and it has never left us sitting, unlike every Japanese car we've ever owned.

Cats, Bimmers and Subies 70K Update
By KKear on 12/27/08 06:54 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it out of the lease only because it was the cheapest way to go. The tire wear was somewhat solved by using Fuzion HRi tires, good for about 30K miles. The headlights bulbs by going to GE silverstars, and the dash vents, superglue. Now the shocks all need replacement, and it's a good thing this car is mostly Ford because most anyone can work on it. The dealer wants an arm, leg and one or two other appendages to replace them. I will be wary of buying another Jaguar.

Bitter sweet
By eye candy on 11/17/08 08:32 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunately I have fallen in love with this car! It is a beauty to look at and I get lots of compliments. Always asked do I want to sell it. However, I am always nervous. The reliability is a big question mark. It has been repaired twice since purchase (9 months ago) and the check engine light is on as I type. I'm afraid I will have to part with her, if I have any more problems.

Don't get stuck with one
By Blown306 on 10/30/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our X-Type 3.0 Sport for about three years and it has been one of the sorriest cars we ever bought. In 60k miles, the car is on it's fourth set of tires, fifth set of defrost vents, second set of visors and 3 three rims have been replaced, one because it had to be chiseled off (stuck $14/ea lug nuts caused it). It leaks oil, makes tons of various noises and gets horrible mileage. It can take off and turn good in the snow, but forget about stopping. 30 days after a $200 alignment from Jag and new tires on the front, the wear indicators on the inner edges are gone! Look at something out of Germany instead... trading this in on a Jetta diesel.

Scary at times, but so far, so good.
By devargo on 10/15/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got this in June 07 with 32k miles. Now have 55k on it, and the only repair has been a worn tie-rod end. I have heard horror stories about Jaguar reliability over the years, but I took the plunge and am glad I did. One thing I never get over is the odd noises that this car makes. Squeals, whines, whistles, bumps, woomps, thumps, etc. For one thing, it appears that every road noise comes inside. For another, wind noise actually makes a whistling around the A pillars. But, overall, I can't complain. 22-24 mpg, good looks, good performance, lots of features, and the cachet of owning a Jag for under $20000. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, glad I bought this car.

Forget about the manual transmission
By Dissapointed on 09/16/08 17:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 5 speed 2004 X type, the styling, suspension and handling are Ok. The engine not very economical, but OK, needing 91 octane. My 5 speed gear shifting action was Ok, but the clutch was awful, and after only 20K miles the rear differential was clunking badly. The dealership changed the clutch, and I got to see the old unit - a terrible design. Lots of plastic pieces also broke. Happy to get rid of the car - I now buy Japanese.

Great Car!
By Nick on 06/17/08 07:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have done a lot of review prior to purchasing this car. I have had a few in my day and this is by far the best car I have ever had. Runs great and the handling is by far superior to anything I have driven. The only thing I needed to do was replace the windshield wiper motor which was very very easy to do. Took all of 30 min. Very stylish for the money and fun to drive in any weather! My wife loves it way more then the Volvo S70 she had. Two thumbs up for me!!