Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Update On 17K miles Jag XT 3.0With High Speed Vibration Problem
By tggary

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fortunately, the Dealer I bought this car from went the extra mile needed to rectify the problem. Besides new wheels and a few other replaced parts, they provided a second new set of tires, again alligned and balanced of course, and I took the car up to 90 on the highway with zero vibration evident, and a whole new ride overrall. Then when I went through my glove compartment to review the Registration paperwork, I found another envelope with my name on it -- inside was cash equal to my first month's paymment. The Dealer carries all highline and next to highline vehicles at bottom line pricing and obviously backs up the customer in regard to the New York State Warranty rules. Contact me at TGGaryVerizon.net if you are interested in knowing more - Good News! The dreaded high speed vibration in the X Type does have a fix. TGGary

Favorite Features

Wood Steering Wheel, Jag Hood Ornament, Cornering Capability, Fun factor, Accelleration is good.

Suggested Improvements

Let's see the X Replacement with slightly roomier back seat with cupholders, more reliable tires on stock car, more horsepower and a more forgiving allignment set up...

Great Car
By dwbarry

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my X-Type new in 2004 and still have it. After over 90K miles there are only two problems - the interior cloth material falling away from the front and read roof posts (like several others have mentioned) and the headlight assembly breaking due to what I guess is the front end stiffness. My dealer in New Orleans has been terrific and fixed the interior cloth issue for free. The headlight repair estimate was quit expensive so I've opted to operate the car with less than perfectly aligned headlights. Overall the car has been one the best cars I've owned in 41 years of driving.

Favorite Features

Performance, reliability, interior comfort/quiet and appearance after 6 years.

Suggested Improvements

More rear leg room would be nice and a less stiff front end.

Great Car but not from Cherry Hill NJ
By BoroBulldogs

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Jaguar 2004 x-type has been a reliable vehicle as far as the powertrain is concerned. It is a great performing car that handles turns with tremendous agility. However, there is a defect with the interior design- specifically the interior peeling from around the windshield and back window. This is documented in many places on the internet. Please check the interior edges in these locations before making your purchase and be wary of what dealership you choose to deal with. When our original dealership closed in Mays Landing NJ we were forced to do business with Cherry Hill Classic Cars in NJ, which I strongly advise you to STEER CLEAR of as they turned the deaf ear on this defect!

Favorite Features

Handling, Power, Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Customer relations end when the warranty ends in certain dealerships. Spend time in the service department waiting room prior to making any purchase- you may be surprised at what you hear from customers or what you hear the service reps saying to other customers. Stay out of Cherry Hill NJ!

So good I am getting another one
By Pete04XType

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 04 certified from a local Jaguar dealer. It has been nothing short of excellent. The car is 6 yrs old and still gets compliments where ever I go. I keep it mostly dealer serviced and it has really not cost me much in repairs. With the select warranty they have fixed the little things that have popped up, but nothing major so far. I like it so much that I am trading it back to the dealer for another low mileage X Type with more options. I was hooked the first time I drove it and the awd system is excellent. I can drive through anything with other cars and trucks are stuck on the side of the road. I wish that Jaguar still made them or came up with a gen II X Type. Hello Jaguar!

Favorite Features

Interior, radio, exterior looks, comfortable seats, trunk space, awd system.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension, more hp, R model, blue tooth standard,

Great Car To Drive
By Fizzle

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this from dealer as a demo with only 1600 miles. Car handles great and has never needed any major repairs. I am upgrading to the new XJ as a result of my wonderful experience with this model. X-type is an entry level Jag but if you want a car different from every other model on the road this is it.

Favorite Features

Car handles great and no matter where you go people like to see a Jag pull up.

Suggested Improvements

i-pod jack would have been nice, and phone on dash