Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

has some faults
By peelu27

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A few surprising build quality issues.
center armrest console is rubbish and creaks and moans if you put any weight on it.

The headliner/nterior fabric is coming off all over the place.

There is no trunk button in the interior.
I've never heard of a car without a release.

Requires expensive premium fuel, for this price point, a really bad idea.
This is not a $60k car.

The rear leg room is ridiculously small for this size of a car.
There's more room in my ford fusion.
there's more room in an audi a4.

The gas mileage is appalling.
I drive 98% freeway miles and i get 20 mpg and i hear most people get much worse.

The engine, for sure. It's really a great engine but you really pay for it. It drinks lots of expensive premium fuel. The wood work is typical, beautiful Jaguar and makes you think you're getting a much more expensive car than it is. The AWD is really great and allows you to quickly take off through tight turns without making "vulgar" noises.

For a Jag, albeit a lower end model, it has a surprising lack of features. I realize this is a 2004 car, but still, it's just a basic car - this is not an XJ and i wish i'd bought that instead since they can be had for nearly the same price, so if you buy one make sure you get one that is loaded. At the least, ensure that it was blue-tooth enabled, otherwise you're facing a steep price to correct that, unless you go with aftermarket and that's just not the same thing.

Autobahn driving
By dncncwboy56

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our 2004 Jaguar X-type 3.0 for four years now and we love it. Have not had one single problem with it.
We regularly drive it on the autobahn in Germany where we live. It is electronically stopped out at 126 MPH but anywhere from zero to 126 MPH, the car handles like it is on a city street doing 35 MPH. I would recommend this car to anyone.
It is AWD and handles great in snow or in rain. We have videos of us driving 90 MPH on snow covered roads.
Extremely comfortable on long trips. Heated seat for the winter. Love it!!

Very Pleased With 2004 X-Type
By lmdave

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car new in August 2004 for my wife.
She and I both love it.
We also had a 1989 XJ6 at the time, and knew Jaguar's spotty reputation for reliability was for real with the XJ6.
Not so for the X-type...it has had less problems than any other automobile I have ever owned.
Only mistake I made was buying an extended warranty; all other cars I have done this with, this has paid off, but not for the X-Type..which has been nearly trouble free for the entire extended warranty period.
I highly recommend this car.
We always use Shell premium gas; makes a difference in engine running smoothly.

Great look. Reliable. Fun to drive. Sporty. All wheel drive.

Bring back this model, Jaguar, you will sell a lot of them to satisfied prior owners.

So far, so good!
By jimmhs73

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 1-owner X-Type locally, excellent cond., "Platinum" color, with 116k miles in January after reading all I could on-line & checking with another X-Type owner. Put all new Kumho tires on right away.
I've driven close to 2k miles and absolutely no complaints.
Super smooth shifting, quick acceleration, very quiet ride - except for hearing the transmission (apparently common) and a little wind noise at highway speeds if I have the interior shade for sunroof pulled back.

Parts are outrageously expensive - found local Carquest can get OEM parts for a lot less.
Paid $6k & dealer fee. Everyone amazed-beautiful, well-built car for the money!

Looks, classic styling, most fun to drive of any car we've owned (Ford, Chrysler, Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Toyota). Has sealed transmission-cannot add trans fluid. Engine coolant-150k product - clean. Would definitely buy again.

Headlight switch - so used to stem mounted switch, hard to get used to. Adjustable lumbar support.

Update On 17K miles Jag XT 3.0With High Speed Vibration Problem
By tggary

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fortunately, the Dealer I bought this car from went the extra mile needed to rectify the problem. Besides new wheels and a few other replaced parts, they provided a second new set of tires, again alligned and balanced of course, and I took the car up to 90 on the highway with zero vibration evident, and a whole new ride overrall. Then when I went through my glove compartment to review the Registration paperwork, I found another envelope with my name on it -- inside was cash equal to my first month's paymment.

The Dealer carries all highline and next to highline vehicles at bottom line pricing and obviously backs up the customer in regard to the New York State Warranty rules. Contact me at TGGaryVerizon.net if you are interested in knowing more - Good News! The dreaded high speed vibration in the X Type does have a fix.

TGGary

Wood Steering Wheel, Jag Hood Ornament, Cornering Capability, Fun factor, Accelleration is good.

Let's see the X Replacement with slightly roomier back seat with cupholders, more reliable tires on stock car, more horsepower and a more forgiving allignment set up...