2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
who has a lemon
By oh well on 03/17/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for schematics of the front diff. (pumpkin) and came to Edmunds and found this review of a lady totally dissatisfied with her x- type. I am sorry but I purchased a 04 with 40,000 miles for my wife and the car has been exceptional. Nothing but normal stuff...rear brakes. this lady who says it has been nothing but trouble must have received a Monday/Friday car and am truly sorry she cannot enjoy the luxury of a Jaguar. This is what Ford intended...to have a luxury car be affordable to the middle class. I am a GM fan, oh well can't win them all.

LEMON !!
By N. on 02/12/10 10:20 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My husband purchased this car for me for my 40th birthday. Not a day goes by without regret. It has been nothing short of disastrous. It has been in the shop 7 times for the same two problems: 1)grinding noise located in the right front 2) at about 35 mph the engine begins to vibrate - best description: feels like you are driving over a washboard. They actually REPLACED the engine and it still is not fixed. The interior is falling apart. The lining surrounding the front and back windows is peeling off. The visor mirrors are broken. The back seat seat belts have broken. The glove box will not close properly. Electrical side mirror adjustment switch is faulty. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!

Wow and more WOW
By Sexy Cat on 02/01/10 15:12 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is one of the funnest and most sexy cars to drive I just fell in love. I was choosing between this and a Mazda 6 and hands down I am so happy I chose this car. It just makes ya feel like you are better than you really are and that is something you can't put a price on. I get out and just stare at it and have tripped on things from not watching where I am going. If you are EVER lucky enough to buy 1 DO IT!

5 years in and I still love it!
By uab9253 on 01/19/10 08:00 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought mine new in December 2004 and I still love this car. I have had 50000 relatively trouble free miles. I have only had bulbs, battery, fluids replaced - just got a rear brake job. Like another reviewer, I switched from Continental to Fuzion tires - they seem to be holding up much better and look good too. I also have the cloth wrinkling along the supports on each side of the windshield. This car has never left me, embarrassed me or sent me to the shop. I only just now have to pay for service- Dealer prices were a shock. I've probably gone there for the last time - minor stuff I'll have done at a local garage. Glorified oil change at 50K "Service" miles was $500.

Kitty Corners
By Chief on 12/30/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I found a steal on a 2004 2.5 X-type with only 21k mileage. I couldn't resist at the under 10k price despite their maintenance reputation. I was shocked at how well it handles and with the 5 speed and 200 horses it can be driven like the cat it is. I'm sure the 3.0 or the 430 horse versions are nice improvements. Being in the NW I appreciate the AWD in the snow but the torquey nature of the car will set you sliding if you're not careful. Not an Outback for sure but it looks hotter!

Piece of junk
By Buddy on 12/23/09 13:39 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 2004. I have only 35000 miles and this started giving me problems before even it reached 20,000 miles. I have spent over $2500 on repairs. Now I hear whining noise when I drive and my dealer says it needs all new hoses $2000. I must say quality of Jaguar is far worst than any other car in the market. It's not worth $10,000 I can't believe I paid over $32,000 for this junk. I would never ever buy any Jaguar ever.

Awesome Luxury Car
By Jaguar man on 12/21/09 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought my first jaguar A 2004 Jaguar x type 3.0 With sport package And love it..It seems to ride great good pick up power all around great car a little expensive for insurance and plates but the car is well worth it..Love the heated seats and the seats are very comfortable I have put 3000 miles already on it... A very dependable car. I love the looks that people give when they see the car - looks like a million bucks very sleek look. The gas millage is not as good as advertised but I get about 20 miles to the gallon. I did do a lot of research on this car before I bought it and seen a lot of positive stuff about it

Awesome car!!
By Josh boyles on 12/09/09 18:41 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I saw this car and fell in love with it. Love the awd and the sport button, fast. Great horsepower. My first jag and so far am very impressed, the awd is great and the pick up power is nice to have.

Why bad reviews?
By David on 10/07/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I do not understand why Edmunds rates this car down, I nearly did not buy it in '04 because of that and it has been a terrific car! It handles wonderful in all types of road conditions, it has great pep and I always get 26+mph, if I slow down to speed limit of 5 above it goes up to 27+. Even after 5 years people still admire it and make comments. I always trade by 4 years but I can't find anything I like better. The only criticism I have is premium gas requirement. The ride is a bit stiff but the handling more than makes up for it. Listen to the owners Edmunds, we like this car.

Great performance & dependability
By brenda9417 on 09/30/09 22:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sadly, I totaled my Jag last week. It had over 105,000 miles and still drove like it was new off the lot! Whether in sport mode or regular this Jag hugs the road like a dream, stops on a dime, and accelerates on demand. Of course, I did service my car regularly- -which helps with whatever car you own. I had no doubt in my mind that the car would have rolled over 300,000 miles. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus and BMW and would (hands down) place this car above all of those on reliability and performance. I am currently looking for another X-type to replace it!