Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

160k miles & going strong
By jimmhs73

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 X-Type 3.0 in January, 2011 for $6k. It had 117k, was in excellent shape (except tires), and only one previous owner. The car has been great - routine maintenance, replaced compressor for A/C, couple of minor repairs, all done by local garage vs Jag dealer - less than $2200 in 4 years. Heads-up: rear seat leg room minimal. Fabric covering front roof supports has separated - used fabric glue to repair (easy fix). Requires premium gasoline - upside is it gets 25-27 mpg on trips, only 20 around town. AWD a plus however low ground clearance hinders going in deep snow. Been a great car - no regrets!

Favorite Features

"Leaper" on front hood - yep, love the ext styling. Great acceleration; good handling & braking; has been extremely reliable and low-cost to own (other than premium gasoline). Fun to drive! Even after 11 years, the paint looks almost new - folks can't believe it is an '04.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight fixtures that break and thus headlights frequently out of alignment; tough to replace light bulbs for headlights - very cramped. Better glue for interior fabric.

has some faults
By peelu27

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A few surprising build quality issues. center armrest console is rubbish and creaks and moans if you put any weight on it. The headliner/nterior fabric is coming off all over the place. There is no trunk button in the interior. I've never heard of a car without a release. Requires expensive premium fuel, for this price point, a really bad idea. This is not a $60k car. The rear leg room is ridiculously small for this size of a car. There's more room in my ford fusion. there's more room in an audi a4. The gas mileage is appalling. I drive 98% freeway miles and i get 20 mpg and i hear most people get much worse.

Favorite Features

The engine, for sure. It's really a great engine but you really pay for it. It drinks lots of expensive premium fuel. The wood work is typical, beautiful Jaguar and makes you think you're getting a much more expensive car than it is. The AWD is really great and allows you to quickly take off through tight turns without making "vulgar" noises.

Suggested Improvements

For a Jag, albeit a lower end model, it has a surprising lack of features. I realize this is a 2004 car, but still, it's just a basic car - this is not an XJ and i wish i'd bought that instead since they can be had for nearly the same price, so if you buy one make sure you get one that is loaded. At the least, ensure that it was blue-tooth enabled, otherwise you're facing a steep price to correct that, unless you go with aftermarket and that's just not the same thing.

Autobahn driving
By dncncwboy56

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our 2004 Jaguar X-type 3.0 for four years now and we love it. Have not had one single problem with it. We regularly drive it on the autobahn in Germany where we live. It is electronically stopped out at 126 MPH but anywhere from zero to 126 MPH, the car handles like it is on a city street doing 35 MPH. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is AWD and handles great in snow or in rain. We have videos of us driving 90 MPH on snow covered roads. Extremely comfortable on long trips. Heated seat for the winter. Love it!!

Very Pleased With 2004 X-Type
By lmdave

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car new in August 2004 for my wife. She and I both love it. We also had a 1989 XJ6 at the time, and knew Jaguar's spotty reputation for reliability was for real with the XJ6. Not so for the X-type...it has had less problems than any other automobile I have ever owned. Only mistake I made was buying an extended warranty; all other cars I have done this with, this has paid off, but not for the X-Type..which has been nearly trouble free for the entire extended warranty period. I highly recommend this car. We always use Shell premium gas; makes a difference in engine running smoothly.

Favorite Features

Great look. Reliable. Fun to drive. Sporty. All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back this model, Jaguar, you will sell a lot of them to satisfied prior owners.

So far, so good!
By jimmhs73

2004 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 1-owner X-Type locally, excellent cond., "Platinum" color, with 116k miles in January after reading all I could on-line & checking with another X-Type owner. Put all new Kumho tires on right away. I've driven close to 2k miles and absolutely no complaints. Super smooth shifting, quick acceleration, very quiet ride - except for hearing the transmission (apparently common) and a little wind noise at highway speeds if I have the interior shade for sunroof pulled back. Parts are outrageously expensive - found local Carquest can get OEM parts for a lot less. Paid $6k & dealer fee. Everyone amazed-beautiful, well-built car for the money!

Favorite Features

Looks, classic styling, most fun to drive of any car we've owned (Ford, Chrysler, Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Toyota). Has sealed transmission-cannot add trans fluid. Engine coolant-150k product - clean. Would definitely buy again.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight switch - so used to stem mounted switch, hard to get used to. Adjustable lumbar support.