2004 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
So good I am getting another one
By Pete04XType on 06/21/10 22:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 04 certified from a local Jaguar dealer. It has been nothing short of excellent. The car is 6 yrs old and still gets compliments where ever I go. I keep it mostly dealer serviced and it has really not cost me much in repairs. With the select warranty they have fixed the little things that have popped up, but nothing major so far. I like it so much that I am trading it back to the dealer for another low mileage X Type with more options. I was hooked the first time I drove it and the awd system is excellent. I can drive through anything with other cars and trucks are stuck on the side of the road. I wish that Jaguar still made them or came up with a gen II X Type. Hello Jaguar!

who has a lemon
By oh well on 03/17/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for schematics of the front diff. (pumpkin) and came to Edmunds and found this review of a lady totally dissatisfied with her x- type. I am sorry but I purchased a 04 with 40,000 miles for my wife and the car has been exceptional. Nothing but normal stuff...rear brakes. this lady who says it has been nothing but trouble must have received a Monday/Friday car and am truly sorry she cannot enjoy the luxury of a Jaguar. This is what Ford intended...to have a luxury car be affordable to the middle class. I am a GM fan, oh well can't win them all.

LEMON !!
By N. on 02/12/10 10:20 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My husband purchased this car for me for my 40th birthday. Not a day goes by without regret. It has been nothing short of disastrous. It has been in the shop 7 times for the same two problems: 1)grinding noise located in the right front 2) at about 35 mph the engine begins to vibrate - best description: feels like you are driving over a washboard. They actually REPLACED the engine and it still is not fixed. The interior is falling apart. The lining surrounding the front and back windows is peeling off. The visor mirrors are broken. The back seat seat belts have broken. The glove box will not close properly. Electrical side mirror adjustment switch is faulty. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!

Kitty Corners
By Chief on 12/30/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I found a steal on a 2004 2.5 X-type with only 21k mileage. I couldn't resist at the under 10k price despite their maintenance reputation. I was shocked at how well it handles and with the 5 speed and 200 horses it can be driven like the cat it is. I'm sure the 3.0 or the 430 horse versions are nice improvements. Being in the NW I appreciate the AWD in the snow but the torquey nature of the car will set you sliding if you're not careful. Not an Outback for sure but it looks hotter!

Not the stereo-type Jaguar
By Jeff on 06/26/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2.5 X-type with 5-speed which I purchased new and it's now about 5 year old. This car has had one warranty issue in 5 years and otherwise it has been perfect. Handling is great although you must be willing to let the car lean into a curve on back roads. AWD has been great for trips to Vermont. I will definitely buy another Jaguar. The old stereotype of quality is way over. This is a very good entry luxury car for the money and it's not just as common as dirt like so many other makes either German or Japanese.

Forget about the manual transmission
By Dissapointed on 09/16/08 17:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 5 speed 2004 X type, the styling, suspension and handling are Ok. The engine not very economical, but OK, needing 91 octane. My 5 speed gear shifting action was Ok, but the clutch was awful, and after only 20K miles the rear differential was clunking badly. The dealership changed the clutch, and I got to see the old unit - a terrible design. Lots of plastic pieces also broke. Happy to get rid of the car - I now buy Japanese.

2004 Jaguar
By James on 09/12/07 14:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The odometer on my X-Type just turned 60k w/ no major problems to report. The car has had a loud squeal which appears to emanate from the underside of the car since the day I brought it home. The dealer told me it's normal, that all Jaguars make noise and the decibels are acceptable. A sound shield was installed to muffle the noise, but I still hear it. Aside from that, the dash vents popped off. The dealer replaced them, citing a defect in the plugs that secure them to the dashboard. Overall, the car is nice and is a pleasure to drive. Relatively short money for a luxury vehicle. I'd likely buy another, but will make certain it doesn't squeal before I drive out of the dealership.

X-Type Unreliable
By Kelley on 04/27/07 19:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From the time that I purchased this vehicle, it spent more time in the shop then I spent driving the vehicle. Unfortunately, I decided to purchase this vehicle instead of lease. The car has very little residual value now at 55,000 miles and I have had to put over $3000 into the vehicle in the last two months because of the poor quality of this vehicle. The vehicle is pretty to look at and yes it will turn heads, however, it has been a complete waste of money for me. I am a professional and do not have time to waste getting a vehicle repaired constantly.

Best certified car out there
By P Medina on 01/17/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased this 2004 Jaguar X- type and so far I love this car. I was looking for a nice affordable luxury car and decided to check out Jaguar. I was very impressed with the style of the car. The interior is very nice and comfortable with all of the options a nice luxury car should have. I love driving a 5 spd and love that the x- type has it. I can not wait to test the awd in the bad weather. I have had the car for a short period of time but love it so far.

Value for the Money
By Roy Fazio on 05/01/06 05:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

When shopping, compared my X-Type to Audi, MC C Class and BMI and after options were piled (leather, CD,etc.,) the other vehicles were $5K more. This car comes loaded. Car handles great and is fun to drive. Solidly built. Had a few minor trim problems when i first bought the car (vents loose and visor mirrors), but dealership swiftly too care of problems. Car is great in snow too.