2004 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
has some faults
By peelu27 on 10/17/13 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A few surprising build quality issues. center armrest console is rubbish and creaks and moans if you put any weight on it. The headliner/nterior fabric is coming off all over the place. There is no trunk button in the interior. I've never heard of a car without a release. Requires expensive premium fuel, for this price point, a really bad idea. This is not a $60k car. The rear leg room is ridiculously small for this size of a car. There's more room in my ford fusion. there's more room in an audi a4. The gas mileage is appalling. I drive 98% freeway miles and i get 20 mpg and i hear most people get much worse.

Autobahn driving
By dncncwboy56 on 05/19/11 06:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our 2004 Jaguar X-type 3.0 for four years now and we love it. Have not had one single problem with it. We regularly drive it on the autobahn in Germany where we live. It is electronically stopped out at 126 MPH but anywhere from zero to 126 MPH, the car handles like it is on a city street doing 35 MPH. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is AWD and handles great in snow or in rain. We have videos of us driving 90 MPH on snow covered roads. Extremely comfortable on long trips. Heated seat for the winter. Love it!!

Very Pleased With 2004 X-Type
By lmdave on 05/13/11 05:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car new in August 2004 for my wife. She and I both love it. We also had a 1989 XJ6 at the time, and knew Jaguar's spotty reputation for reliability was for real with the XJ6. Not so for the X-type...it has had less problems than any other automobile I have ever owned. Only mistake I made was buying an extended warranty; all other cars I have done this with, this has paid off, but not for the X-Type..which has been nearly trouble free for the entire extended warranty period. I highly recommend this car. We always use Shell premium gas; makes a difference in engine running smoothly.

So far, so good!
By jimmhs73 on 03/15/11 05:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 1-owner X-Type locally, excellent cond., "Platinum" color, with 116k miles in January after reading all I could on-line & checking with another X-Type owner. Put all new Kumho tires on right away. I've driven close to 2k miles and absolutely no complaints. Super smooth shifting, quick acceleration, very quiet ride - except for hearing the transmission (apparently common) and a little wind noise at highway speeds if I have the interior shade for sunroof pulled back. Parts are outrageously expensive - found local Carquest can get OEM parts for a lot less. Paid $6k & dealer fee. Everyone amazed-beautiful, well-built car for the money!

Update On 17K miles Jag XT 3.0With High Speed Vibration Problem
By tggary on 03/09/11 11:34 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fortunately, the Dealer I bought this car from went the extra mile needed to rectify the problem. Besides new wheels and a few other replaced parts, they provided a second new set of tires, again alligned and balanced of course, and I took the car up to 90 on the highway with zero vibration evident, and a whole new ride overrall. Then when I went through my glove compartment to review the Registration paperwork, I found another envelope with my name on it -- inside was cash equal to my first month's paymment. The Dealer carries all highline and next to highline vehicles at bottom line pricing and obviously backs up the customer in regard to the New York State Warranty rules. Contact me at TGGaryVerizon.net if you are interested in knowing more - Good News! The dreaded high speed vibration in the X Type does have a fix. TGGary

Great Car
By dwbarry on 12/08/10 07:43 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my X-Type new in 2004 and still have it. After over 90K miles there are only two problems - the interior cloth material falling away from the front and read roof posts (like several others have mentioned) and the headlight assembly breaking due to what I guess is the front end stiffness. My dealer in New Orleans has been terrific and fixed the interior cloth issue for free. The headlight repair estimate was quit expensive so I've opted to operate the car with less than perfectly aligned headlights. Overall the car has been one the best cars I've owned in 41 years of driving.

Great Car but not from Cherry Hill NJ
By BoroBulldogs on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Jaguar 2004 x-type has been a reliable vehicle as far as the powertrain is concerned. It is a great performing car that handles turns with tremendous agility. However, there is a defect with the interior design- specifically the interior peeling from around the windshield and back window. This is documented in many places on the internet. Please check the interior edges in these locations before making your purchase and be wary of what dealership you choose to deal with. When our original dealership closed in Mays Landing NJ we were forced to do business with Cherry Hill Classic Cars in NJ, which I strongly advise you to STEER CLEAR of as they turned the deaf ear on this defect!

So good I am getting another one
By Pete04XType on 06/21/10 22:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 04 certified from a local Jaguar dealer. It has been nothing short of excellent. The car is 6 yrs old and still gets compliments where ever I go. I keep it mostly dealer serviced and it has really not cost me much in repairs. With the select warranty they have fixed the little things that have popped up, but nothing major so far. I like it so much that I am trading it back to the dealer for another low mileage X Type with more options. I was hooked the first time I drove it and the awd system is excellent. I can drive through anything with other cars and trucks are stuck on the side of the road. I wish that Jaguar still made them or came up with a gen II X Type. Hello Jaguar!

Great Car To Drive
By Fizzle on 06/10/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this from dealer as a demo with only 1600 miles. Car handles great and has never needed any major repairs. I am upgrading to the new XJ as a result of my wonderful experience with this model. X-type is an entry level Jag but if you want a car different from every other model on the road this is it.

Ok for a first luxury car
By Jason on 04/07/10 16:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was 25 when I bought my X-type, my first "luxury" car after I finished grad school. The car is not perfect as it has been in the shop several times and I've spent about $2000 on little annoyances in just a few months, but I feel safe and its no lemon. Be sure to find a reputable repairman quick! The car is BEAUTIFUL to look at and after a year of ownership I still turn back and look at it. The interior is also nice but the seats are a little flat. Gas mileage is OK and my 3.0 in sport mode picks up pretty well. In sum if you're looking for a true luxury car you may want to look elsewhere but if you're young and looking for a eye-catching ride you can't go wrong with the X-type 3.0.