Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 200 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

One of the best cars you can buy
By Derek Echanique

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd car I have owned in my 3 years of driving. I originally bought it because when I was a kid my dad had a Jag XJ8L and I loved it. This car has been outstanding for me. But I was given a offer that I couldn't refuse which made me put the Jag up for a little. I ended up driving a BMW 740iL (E38) Sport for about a year and a half. But coming back to the Jag was a great decision. I can't more pleased to return to a car. The only down side of that is the BMW had a V8 vs a V6 so I am use to a little bit more power, but I can get over that. This car is outstanding!

Pleasant Surprise!!!
By TW

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Proves the mistaken reaction to owning a Jaguar. Most of the adverse reviews come from individuals that have never owned one. Normal preventative maintenance provides pleasant ownership.

220,000 miles and still looks new
By dennis

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had a ton of cars and this is right up there with Mercedes etc.
Still shines like new.
Yes, I have had to replace some things - sensors and cooling system but the car never died.
Repairs are not cheap but I'm still going on long trips without a worry.
AWD is a big plus.
I have so many miles on it the website won't let me plug it in !

160k miles & going strong
By jimmhs73

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 X-Type 3.0 in January, 2011 for $6k. It had 117k, was in excellent shape (except tires), and only one previous owner. The car has been great - routine maintenance, replaced compressor for A/C, couple of minor repairs, all done by local garage vs Jag dealer - less than $2200 in 4 years. Heads-up: rear seat leg room minimal. Fabric covering front roof supports has separated - used fabric glue to repair (easy fix). Requires premium gasoline - upside is it gets 25-27 mpg on trips, only 20 around town. AWD a plus however low ground clearance hinders going in deep snow. Been a great car - no regrets!

"Leaper" on front hood - yep, love the ext styling. Great acceleration; good handling & braking; has been extremely reliable and low-cost to own (other than premium gasoline). Fun to drive! Even after 11 years, the paint looks almost new - folks can't believe it is an '04.

Headlight fixtures that break and thus headlights frequently out of alignment; tough to replace light bulbs for headlights - very cramped. Better glue for interior fabric.

has some faults
By peelu27

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A few surprising build quality issues.
center armrest console is rubbish and creaks and moans if you put any weight on it.

The headliner/nterior fabric is coming off all over the place.

There is no trunk button in the interior.
I've never heard of a car without a release.

Requires expensive premium fuel, for this price point, a really bad idea.
This is not a $60k car.

The rear leg room is ridiculously small for this size of a car.
There's more room in my ford fusion.
there's more room in an audi a4.

The gas mileage is appalling.
I drive 98% freeway miles and i get 20 mpg and i hear most people get much worse.

The engine, for sure. It's really a great engine but you really pay for it. It drinks lots of expensive premium fuel. The wood work is typical, beautiful Jaguar and makes you think you're getting a much more expensive car than it is. The AWD is really great and allows you to quickly take off through tight turns without making "vulgar" noises.

For a Jag, albeit a lower end model, it has a surprising lack of features. I realize this is a 2004 car, but still, it's just a basic car - this is not an XJ and i wish i'd bought that instead since they can be had for nearly the same price, so if you buy one make sure you get one that is loaded. At the least, ensure that it was blue-tooth enabled, otherwise you're facing a steep price to correct that, unless you go with aftermarket and that's just not the same thing.