Used 2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Much better than I expected
By Darel Parker

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at similarly priced BMWs and Mercedes, I decided to take a chance on the X-Type and I have not been disappointed. I absolutely love this car. Inside and out, the X-Type is beautiful, and driving it is a dream. With an automatic transmission, the 2.5 liter engine is a bit underpowered but the performance is more than acceptable and the handling is superb. The X-Type styling really stands out in the crowded entry-level luxury market. If you don't tell people what you paid for the car, they'll assume you paid twice as much. It is that nice.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive inspires confidence in inclement weather. Love the nav system and backup sensors. Auto headlamps and windshield wipers are a nice touch. The rich leather and wood interior is impressive. The engine growl lets everyone know it's a Jaguar. Driving this car just feels special.

Suggested Improvements

Noticeable road noise. Dash vents tend to come loose and vibrate. Interior door handles need a good tug to open. Kids will be happy in the back seat. Adults, not so much.

Privileges and Pleasures of a Jag Driver
By gentlemanrobby

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

"She" has been in my life now for almost a year after being introduced to me by a British salesman as my first car. We have endured the haterism of the Ford jokes & negativity of her brand's past failures in reliability as she continues to live up to a tradition of luxury & a quality performance automobile. Against all odds, she has performed far more better than anyone expected. Surprisingly, my most harshest critics have never driven in a Jaguar, therefore they have never experienced its distinction & luxurious feel. She's a rarity on any road. She drives through the Northeast winter storms like an SUV with her AWD capability.

Favorite Features

The complete satisfaction she delivers to me each time i'm in the driver's seat.

Suggested Improvements

I only wish 3 things: 1. That I was her first owner because i would've gotten to known her far more better than i do now. 2. She is a very thirsty car especially with a desire for Premium gas (avg. $35 a week) 3. I would've had her fully-loaded in exclusive options.

Worth the extra HP
By Neil McFarlane

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tried the 2.5L SE and was surprised at the lack of pull, lots of gutsy noise but no real grunt. Then tried the 3.0L, the difference is remarkable as soon as you turn the key. Much gruntier sound, loads more wellie and some effective top end traction. Fuel consumption isn't that much more, but early days yet. If you're still deciding, go for the 3L, you won't regret it.

Favorite Features

External looks, quiet ride, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, more extras as standard on the Sports.

Better than reported by the "experts"
By love my X

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Everyone and their cousin has either a 3 series or C class - for good reason, both are excellent cars, I've had both - but it was time for a change. On that note this little Jag delivers. People don't confuse it for a Corolla or Honda. The body style is very reminiscent of the '84 which was one of my favorite cars as a kid. Regarding power, it accelerates just fine, I don't need a racecar to go back and forth to work or run errands. As for issues regarding the small rear seat, this is a small car, not a Chevrolet Impala. It's meant to be small and nimble, which is part of what makes it perfect. It drives smooth and the sport mode makes it quicker.

Favorite Features

Ride, traction, dual heated power seats, auto wipers, rear park sensors, auto lights, "mileage use" computer.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles and center armrest cheapness don't make sense considering the rest of the car.

2 years and still enjoying my X
By Varilux

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased a certified used 5 spd/2.5L X-Type in 3/05 (had 12k miles). 2 years and 18k miles later, the only issues have been a popping air vent (fixed under warranty) and a driver's door handle that intermittently sticks. Handles like a dream (the AWD is amazing), but could use just a bit more punch in 1st gear. Acceleration from 20 mph on is just fine. Quiet ride and gets compliments everywhere I go. Very satisfied with performance, reliability, and gas mileage (24 mpg with 50/50 highway and local driving, and I tend to punch it a lot). Looking to upgrade to either a 3.0 X-Type Sport or used XK8 next year.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, manual transmission, climate control system, AWD, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

A turbocharger would make this a VERY sporty 4-door. A bit more of the wood trim would be nice as well.