2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Nice car... at 53 mph I get 32 mpg
By Rob on 03/10/09 15:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The all wheel drive is great. When driving 53 MPH I get 32 mpg or more. Great for highway trips!

"Experts"???
By HistoryDocBob on 09/16/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was an MG driver for many years and have always enjoyed the "British" feel for a car. Yes, the X-type is not a standard Jag, but with gas at $4, who would want one? This car is perfect for what we all do -- drive to work, the Metro or run a few errands. I find nothing "cheap" about the interior; the camel interior goes beautifully with the British racing green exterior. Yes, I can't get to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, but Ford (which has a long tradition in building British cars) has put together just the right package of performance, appearance and creature comforts to make this car worth every dime. You'd be a fool to waste your money on a far more expensive German or high-end Japanese car.

A nice car that I love to keep
By Hank on 07/21/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has meant several things to me: Nice looks, decent power (3 liter), all wheel drive (AWD) versatility and of course, the Jaguar brand name. It feels great when friends and strangers recognize the brand and make positive comments about its looks. This is my 5th year of ownership and I still like its looks and feel. I liked it so much I decided to not trade it in when I recently bought a new car. The 3 liter engine feels strong and satisfying in most situations although the automatic transmission loses a second or two when downshifting in sudden acceleration. It makes up for this in smooth operation when needing to pass. Last but not least, the AWD feature has been great in snow/ice.

Tab's Jag is all PRRR and no GRRRR
By Tab's Jag on 05/12/08 15:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 in January 0f 2008 and I love it. It was a blessing that fell in my lap and once I saw what a great deal it was I couldn't pass it up. Well, 4 months later I am deftly happy with it. I have had no issues whatsoever and it gets many head nods. I just tell all the people who think I must be cavorting a lot more money than they thought to be driving it, that a blessing came my way and it keeps blessing me over and over again. It is grey with woodgrade integrated with the black leather interior. Also, yes it has a pretty sleek look and everyone loves it. I appreciate and love it!!

My Baby Jag
By AL on 05/07/08 19:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had mine for almost a year now with no problems. The car handles like no other I have ever owned, it has good power, and it turns heads like no car I have ever owned, and this thing will really take a corner at any speed, no torque steer, no drift, a joy to drive.

Much better than I expected
By Darel Parker on 05/07/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at similarly priced BMWs and Mercedes, I decided to take a chance on the X-Type and I have not been disappointed. I absolutely love this car. Inside and out, the X-Type is beautiful, and driving it is a dream. With an automatic transmission, the 2.5 liter engine is a bit underpowered but the performance is more than acceptable and the handling is superb. The X-Type styling really stands out in the crowded entry-level luxury market. If you don't tell people what you paid for the car, they'll assume you paid twice as much. It is that nice.

Privileges and Pleasures of a Jag Driver
By gentlemanrobby on 11/23/07 21:30 PM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

"She" has been in my life now for almost a year after being introduced to me by a British salesman as my first car. We have endured the haterism of the Ford jokes & negativity of her brand's past failures in reliability as she continues to live up to a tradition of luxury & a quality performance automobile. Against all odds, she has performed far more better than anyone expected. Surprisingly, my most harshest critics have never driven in a Jaguar, therefore they have never experienced its distinction & luxurious feel. She's a rarity on any road. She drives through the Northeast winter storms like an SUV with her AWD capability.

Worth the extra HP
By Neil McFarlane on 11/05/07 09:15 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tried the 2.5L SE and was surprised at the lack of pull, lots of gutsy noise but no real grunt. Then tried the 3.0L, the difference is remarkable as soon as you turn the key. Much gruntier sound, loads more wellie and some effective top end traction. Fuel consumption isn't that much more, but early days yet. If you're still deciding, go for the 3L, you won't regret it.

Better than reported by the "experts"
By love my X on 10/30/07 12:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Everyone and their cousin has either a 3 series or C class - for good reason, both are excellent cars, I've had both - but it was time for a change. On that note this little Jag delivers. People don't confuse it for a Corolla or Honda. The body style is very reminiscent of the '84 which was one of my favorite cars as a kid. Regarding power, it accelerates just fine, I don't need a racecar to go back and forth to work or run errands. As for issues regarding the small rear seat, this is a small car, not a Chevrolet Impala. It's meant to be small and nimble, which is part of what makes it perfect. It drives smooth and the sport mode makes it quicker.

2 years and still enjoying my X
By Varilux on 06/11/07 19:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased a certified used 5 spd/2.5L X-Type in 3/05 (had 12k miles). 2 years and 18k miles later, the only issues have been a popping air vent (fixed under warranty) and a driver's door handle that intermittently sticks. Handles like a dream (the AWD is amazing), but could use just a bit more punch in 1st gear. Acceleration from 20 mph on is just fine. Quiet ride and gets compliments everywhere I go. Very satisfied with performance, reliability, and gas mileage (24 mpg with 50/50 highway and local driving, and I tend to punch it a lot). Looking to upgrade to either a 3.0 X-Type Sport or used XK8 next year.