2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Disappointing glitches in new luxury car
By ps2 on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The X-Type is an excellent all-weather car with tons of Jaguar options. On the negative, the build quality is disappointing - coolant leak, driver seat repairs, interior trim rattles & squeaks, and the car is less than 3 months old. Jaguar is good about fixing the issues & service is what you expect from a high-end car company. Even with those issues, I still rate it very high -- the rattles don't impact the all-round performance of the car. It beats the SUVs in poor weather performance & fuel economy, not to mention the status of being a Jaguar. Oh yes, the price was less than most SUV's too.

I am not happy
By taxmom2000 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My x-type has 4000 miles and is going into the shop for the 3rd time. I have an annoying whistle, so they replaced the drive shaft, but the whistle came back. Now I am waiting for a new transmission, they think that is where the noise is coming from. The other problem is with the gas tank design. If the gas pump hits the door spring the wrong way, it knocks the spring off and you can't open the door, unfortunately Jaguar didn't design the car with a release in the trunk, so I had to go back to Jaguar to get the tank door opened before I could get gas. For the money, I expected a much smoother ride and it isn't there.

Awesome Car Awesome Service
By jjmccain on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

As a previous Audi A4 and BMW 323i owner, I know great entry level luxury sedans. Service is the differentiating factor here. BMW service is the most awful, painful experience ever! Audi is great, but the old A4 was too tight inside. The X-type gives you performance and a service/dealership experience far superior to BMW or Audi. To the car - great car inside and out for an unbelievable price. We got the factory lease deal and had a no haggle price. Wood dash, great leather, and all-wheel drive makes this car hard to beat.

I love my XJag
By Glenda on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had the X 3.0almost a year. It is a great car. It reacts to my command. I average 50 miles a day to work on a interstate so you know I need comfort, ecomony and style. I go with the wind. Love my Baby X.

Don't be misled by reviews
By hatipa on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We were looking for an affordable sporty sedan a la Infiniti G35, Audi A4, Cadillac CTS etc. and were actually not planning to test drive the Jaguar given the mixed reviews regarding the early 2002 models. However, my wife pushed for a test ride; we were surpised to find ourselves hooked. The car handles very well. The 2.5 is plenty sufficient to keep things interesting. While maybe not as fast as the G35, the car is lots of fun to drive and has character. With the free service and our deal price of $28,000 for a base model/manual, the value is high. 1k on the car to date.

New Cat in the Family
By Kraut on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have found the X-Type a joy to drive, being surprised with its acceleration and handling. After switching between my Vette and the Jag., the usually reorientation between vehicles has narrowed considerably. Wisconsin winters no longer are the challenge they were in the past. Styling is a plus. Its is super ego boost to have the number of people who stop to look her over at the malls, stations, etc. Very pleased with the purchase of my little cat.

X-Type review by a Brit
By Barryl on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the X-Type for my own 50th Birthday! So far I have covered just less than 1000 miles, so it is admittedly a little early to say, but the car has been faultless, both on delivery and in use. Mine is a manual Sport - I didn't want the auto on this car. The car is much quieter than I expected and very refined, such that now I tend to listen to classical music! Lots of extras made the car rather expensive - these are mainly individual in the UK, not big option packs as in the States. Would definitely recommend the reverse-park sensor which I have, as rearward visibility is not too good. Standard headlights are quite good, but I wish now I'd bought the Xenon option.

surprisingly smooth drive
By DriveAJag on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this X2.5 only a week ago, but I am quite impressed by its handling and the smooth ride. Before this car I leased a BMW 328i(99 model), it was a fine car with nice handling. But the gas mileage sucked and the ride was quite bumpy. The X-type feels much stabler and smoother on the highway. And I like the handling of X-type better. One complain is the space (head room and leg room) should be bigger.