Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

The worst car I've ever owned
By Ed

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car loves to spend time getting service. It's been at the dealer for service 10 months of the 48 months I've owned the car. I can't remember the many new parts it has but you can say they have rebuilt the thing. Nobody can deny is beautiful but is a piece of junk.

Favorite Features

It's beautiful

An Excellent Automobile
By davidb

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This automobile is excellent except for three drawbacks: there is minimal space in the back for passengers, gas mileage is very poor, the wheels cannot be easily removed, they stick to the rotors. It would be impossible to remove a wheel in an emergency. Otherwise an excellent car, well built and reliable.

Favorite Features

Design, driver comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage, increase space in rear of auto for passengers

Great pre-owned car for the modest price
By TDUBYA

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sport is an excellent vehicle. Good gas mileage great entry level comfort and a very sexy appearance that could only come from Jaguar. Incredible pre-owned value for all those who've always wanted to own a Jag but couldn't fit it into their budget. The key to owning a reliable, pleasurable, fun to drive, X-type is to purchase a pre-owned one that is still under factory warranty, take it directly to your local Jag dealership, and have the maintenance department verify or carry out all the service bulletin upgrades, recalls and repairs which will be free of charge. After all services and repairs are complete take you vehicle home drive it and enjoy.

Favorite Features

The aggressive exterior styling, touch screen NAV system, the excellent sound system, the growl of the engine when accelerating and the wide band of power available at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, in dash CD player, and 50 more horses.

Outstanding value when purchased used
By Tom

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before deciding on this car, a mint 2002 X-Type 2.5 Automatic in Carnival Red. I had wanted an entry-luxury car to handle my long daily commute and I looked at BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Infiniti, etc. I was drawn to this car's great looks and the comments I get from others confirm that. I knew of Jaguar's dubious history of poor reliability and also read many of the lukewarm and even negative reviews. I am very pleased with this car. It is an amazing value on the used market. I can understand that some who bought new may be a little underwhelmed because of the price. But at the price I paid this car is a steal. I was able to add an extended warranty.

Favorite Features

I LOVE the ride and handling. It is a pleasure to drive. While the interior is not as plush as some it is tasteful and comfortable. This is a great road car. I just completed a week long trip all over Maine and this car made the journey even better. The AWD is terrific. You simply must drive to see!

Suggested Improvements

Well mine did not come with the CD player, so that will be a costly add on. And while for me the 2.5L is adequate, even with the AT, I suppose I would not mind the 3.0L. Overall, I love this car and the attention it draws. It is VERY underrated! It is not a FORD either. Well worth a look!

JUNK
By jcpil1515

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the biggest piece of junk i have ever bought. it started breaking down the 2nd day after i bought it. its has been in the shop 23 times. Warranty just ran out and we are getting rid of this car as quickly as possible. i have had problems with brakes, transmission, ignition, main computer, door panels. My wife and baby have been stranded 3 times because the car wouldn't start it would say security enabled and the only way to reset it is at the dealership. which is 100 miles from where we live. When i had problems with the brakes it went on for 3 months they had to get the engineers who designed the brakes and fly them into the dealership to finally fix them. Bottom line it's junk

Favorite Features

it is a fun car to drive and it does look nice but thats about it

Suggested Improvements

They need to definitely go back to the drawing board