Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Need re-engineering
By Cliff

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What a disappointment this car is. A lot of cheesy engineering. Transmission died at 45000 miles, cost $7200. Need new brake job at 42000 miles, cost $1,200. Can only be done by Jag or you can expect to hear brake noise, even with genuine pads and rotors.The vent cover pops up all the time near the windshield and makes noise, the driver seat moves forward 1/4" - 1/2" went stopping, the middle console rocks side-to-side like it's going to come apart.

Favorite Features

Like the styling, exterior looks great. Handles nice with the all wheel drive in the snow.

Overall Great Car
By Brad

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X-Type used a little over two years ago. I have loved every minute of it. I have not had any reliability issues with the car at all. I have only had it in to the dealer for routine service. Also, the 2.5L V6 has more than enough power for daily driving. Before I bought the car, I had read several reviews stating that the car was underpowered. Unless you're buying this car to do drag racing, this is not the case. I find it has as much, or even more power than my last car - a Infiniti I35 with a 3.5L V6. The X-Type's AWD system also has a leg up on the BMW 325xi. This is a great car for the price!

Favorite Features

The Sport Package was the best buy. The sport seats and suspension add to the car by leaps and bounds. The AWD system is incredible. The overall looks of the car distinguish it from it's other European competition.

Suggested Improvements

Simple features like a standard monochromatic rear view mirror. Also transmission can lurch when shifting into passing gear.

Beautiful and an excellent value
By Minimac

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used from the local Jaguar dealer with the 6 year 100,000 mile certified warranty, which made this car an incredible value. It was $2,000 - $3,000 less then most new American sedans that had no features. This is a beautiful automobile. The all wheel drive is worth every penny, including the reduction in gas mileage. The 5 speed automatic is perfectly matched for the 2.5 litre engine. More horsepower would be a plus, but mid-range acceleration is still darned impressive considering this engine's displacement. Great car for the money! As good as any European sedan at a lower price, better than most others.

Favorite Features

Looks great! Great handling with the all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Add a couple of inches of length in the chassis to get more rear seat leg room.

So far so good
By bigbaby

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used 2002 X-Type 2.5 for my wife whose 95 XJ6 finally bit the dust. Car has about 1 year left of certified pre-owned Jag warranty and 58K miles. Car is absolutely beautiful inside and out. Not a rocket but is ok to get around town. Took long trip in Texas and performed well, but I found the seats a bit tiresome on long drives. Tranny shifts quickly and smoothly.

Favorite Features

It's a beauty inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

At 65 MPH in cruise control, engine is at 2500 RPMs. My Mazda Tribute with a 3.0 litre v6 and only a 4 speed tranny will cruise at 1900 RPM. Jag must have some high gear ratios?? Assume this will hurt mileage on hwy.

It's far better than I suspected
By Rich

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just passed the 60,000 mile mark on my '02 X-Type 3.0 with five-speed manual. The car has about all the options, including GPS NAV and the CD changer. I recently had one maintenance problem with the car and that was the coolant thermostat intermittably stuck at about 58,000 miles. It fully convered on Jag's Special Edition warranty. No charge to me. Other than that, the car's been trouble free.

Favorite Features

Five-speed manual gearbox. Fuel economy (consistanly runs in the very high 20's on the highway) styling, reliablity. The looks it gets at fuel stops.

Suggested Improvements

Put a five-speed manual in the new ones so I can get another X-Type.