Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Hit Or Miss Car
By acg042000

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 3.0 Liter X Types. One was great, only a few minor problems in 2 years. This sport model I have now is a lemon. Constant new noises, died 2 times for who knows what, and has probably been in the shop 10 times for maintenance. Good thing I have a warranty. To top it off, the car loses its value faster than anything Ive seen on this planet. All European cars are finicky, its really hit or miss. If you want these cars, get a warranty.

GPS, woodgrain, style, wheels on the sport package, AWD.

Transmission, computer system, rattles, cheap plastics next to expensive wood, cheap leather quality, bumpy suspension.

A lot of little car.
By Jess

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 8 months now and I believe I am sold on Jaguar for life. It is such a joy to drive at any speed. You can really feel the road with this car and you have to make a conscious effort to push it to the edges of its performance envelope. I have the sport suspension and manual trans and when I get on a twisty road I really want to wring it out. The car is very quiet with respect to wind and the all wheel drive and traction control systems are top notch. The engine will rev to 7000rpm and has power from about 1500 rpm on up. After owning about 20 cars I cannot praise this car enough if you like performance in your subtile family sedan.

Engine, manual transmission and chassis make it a total thrill to drive. I especially like wet or light snow conditions where it goes almost as well as on dry pavement. Seat is comfortable and the paint and interior look so good people are always telling me they think it is brand new.

The car has made 4 trips to the dealer in the eight months I have owned it. The treatment I get from them is awesome and I still have CPO warranty but it is having more mechanical problems than some of the competitors. The suspension is noisy on rough roads.

take the good with the bad
By kmac

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my X-type a couple years used and I believe I got a great value for the money, thanks to the high rate of depreciation on Jags. The car has been fairly reliable for me; it looks like it cost 3 times more than I paid for it; and the AWD is great in snow. The the downside of owning a used Jag is that once the warranty runs out (along with the included maintenance), upkeep is costly, especially at the dealership where $500 to $1,000 for scheduled maintenance is normal. I would say that if you value the "cool factor" more than such practical considerations as reliability, resale value, maintenance costs, etc., then this is great car for the money - if you bought used that is.

Body styling; All-wheel drive; Smooth ride; Real wood trim in interior; "Tuned" sounding exhaust under acceleration

Could use a bigger back seat. The 2.5 liter 6 cylinder is okay, but the car's looks by far exceed its performance.

Diamond in the Rough
By freedog

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in May of 2007 as a CPO with 100k warranty and immediately took it cross country. I compare this vehicle to Audi 3.0. 1. Biggest Surprise - handling! This car handles amazingly well and has better overall feel then the Audi because of it's 60% rear wheel drive, though steering wheel feedback is not as precise. 2. Biggest Disappointment - a few squeaks in the steering column and a noisy window at certain speeds. 3. Overall - with a 100k warranty, fantastic handling, Jag interior and ample horsepower, this is a perfect vehicle for those looking for a spirited car but with an eye more on luxury. Bonus is the mystical status that comes with the Jag name.

True Blue but often Yellow
By KCnHouston

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It was the best of cars, it was the worst of cars. After almost 5 years I still love this car. But the fun of driving a X-Type Sport 2.5 quickly wore thin after returning the car for service and repairs more often than I can remember. I kept all of the records but I don't think that I will keep them in the car when I go to try to sell it because I don't want anyone to see how many times the car has needed repair.

This is a beautiful car with incredable handling and power. So many little things about this car make it one I will remember.

Fix all the electrical problems. Lights, backup sensors, transmission, ABS brakes DCS fault, door locking sensors, you name it it went out and had to be replaced. I won't keep it after the 5 year warranty period expires this summer.