Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

take the good with the bad
By kmac

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my X-type a couple years used and I believe I got a great value for the money, thanks to the high rate of depreciation on Jags. The car has been fairly reliable for me; it looks like it cost 3 times more than I paid for it; and the AWD is great in snow. The the downside of owning a used Jag is that once the warranty runs out (along with the included maintenance), upkeep is costly, especially at the dealership where $500 to $1,000 for scheduled maintenance is normal. I would say that if you value the "cool factor" more than such practical considerations as reliability, resale value, maintenance costs, etc., then this is great car for the money - if you bought used that is.

Favorite Features

Body styling; All-wheel drive; Smooth ride; Real wood trim in interior; "Tuned" sounding exhaust under acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bigger back seat. The 2.5 liter 6 cylinder is okay, but the car's looks by far exceed its performance.

Diamond in the Rough
By freedog

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in May of 2007 as a CPO with 100k warranty and immediately took it cross country. I compare this vehicle to Audi 3.0. 1. Biggest Surprise - handling! This car handles amazingly well and has better overall feel then the Audi because of it's 60% rear wheel drive, though steering wheel feedback is not as precise. 2. Biggest Disappointment - a few squeaks in the steering column and a noisy window at certain speeds. 3. Overall - with a 100k warranty, fantastic handling, Jag interior and ample horsepower, this is a perfect vehicle for those looking for a spirited car but with an eye more on luxury. Bonus is the mystical status that comes with the Jag name.

True Blue but often Yellow
By KCnHouston

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It was the best of cars, it was the worst of cars. After almost 5 years I still love this car. But the fun of driving a X-Type Sport 2.5 quickly wore thin after returning the car for service and repairs more often than I can remember. I kept all of the records but I don't think that I will keep them in the car when I go to try to sell it because I don't want anyone to see how many times the car has needed repair.

Favorite Features

This is a beautiful car with incredable handling and power. So many little things about this car make it one I will remember.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the electrical problems. Lights, backup sensors, transmission, ABS brakes DCS fault, door locking sensors, you name it it went out and had to be replaced. I won't keep it after the 5 year warranty period expires this summer.

Real Estate Machine
By David J.

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 02 X-Type. I had upgraded from a 97 Cad STS. What a different car. I feel the Jag is more refined while remaining sporty. The all wheel drive is a must for the Colorado winters. In fact the X-Type is so good in the snow that I feel no need to purchase a SUV. The car has a few quirks like the turn signals won't turn off unless you make a full turn. I also wish the car had more driver leg room since I am 6'2". Overall though I have to say that when I went to the dealer I was going to buy a BMW or Audi. I had such a bad attitude about the old Jags and their lack of reliability I didn't even want to test drive it. Once I drove it I immediately bought it and will drive nothing else.

Favorite Features

Quality, driveability, AWD, performance, refinement. This car is a status symbol. Everyone thinks I dropped 60k on it and keep the mechanic in good funds. The car is reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Make the turn signal shut off at a quarter turn and I believe that the new ones have this but add 2nd cup holder. So many people rip on the one cup holder and dub the car as the selfish egocentric driver's car.

Great little car
By Tom

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car because of its curb appeal and AWD. To date and 55000 miles later, I am not disappointed. I opted for standard transmission and the 3.0 engine and the car revs nicely when needed. Not a problem uphill or to pass at all. Gas mileage is a matter of driving styles, the Jag gives me 21-23 city and 23-25 highway. The car stills turns heads wherever I drive it

Favorite Features

Navigation system, 6-speaker audio system.

Suggested Improvements

A more stylish interior.