2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

2002 X-Type Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
The worst car I've ever owned
By Ed

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car loves to spend time getting service. It's been at the dealer for service 10 months of the 48 months I've owned the car. I can't remember the many new parts it has but you can say they have rebuilt the thing. Nobody can deny is beautiful but is a piece of junk.

Favorite Features

It's beautiful

An Excellent Automobile
By davidb

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This automobile is excellent except for three drawbacks: there is minimal space in the back for passengers, gas mileage is very poor, the wheels cannot be easily removed, they stick to the rotors. It would be impossible to remove a wheel in an emergency. Otherwise an excellent car, well built and reliable.

Favorite Features

Design, driver comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage, increase space in rear of auto for passengers

Great pre-owned car for the modest price
By TDUBYA

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sport is an excellent vehicle. Good gas mileage great entry level comfort and a very sexy appearance that could only come from Jaguar. Incredible pre-owned value for all those who've always wanted to own a Jag but couldn't fit it into their budget. The key to owning a reliable, pleasurable, fun to drive, X-type is to purchase a pre-owned one that is still under factory warranty, take it directly to your local Jag dealership, and have the maintenance department verify or carry out all the service bulletin upgrades, recalls and repairs which will be free of charge. After all services and repairs are complete take you vehicle home drive it and enjoy.

Favorite Features

The aggressive exterior styling, touch screen NAV system, the excellent sound system, the growl of the engine when accelerating and the wide band of power available at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats, in dash CD player, and 50 more horses.

Outstanding value when purchased used
By Tom

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before deciding on this car, a mint 2002 X-Type 2.5 Automatic in Carnival Red. I had wanted an entry-luxury car to handle my long daily commute and I looked at BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Infiniti, etc. I was drawn to this car's great looks and the comments I get from others confirm that. I knew of Jaguar's dubious history of poor reliability and also read many of the lukewarm and even negative reviews. I am very pleased with this car. It is an amazing value on the used market. I can understand that some who bought new may be a little underwhelmed because of the price. But at the price I paid this car is a steal. I was able to add an extended warranty.

Favorite Features

I LOVE the ride and handling. It is a pleasure to drive. While the interior is not as plush as some it is tasteful and comfortable. This is a great road car. I just completed a week long trip all over Maine and this car made the journey even better. The AWD is terrific. You simply must drive to see!

Suggested Improvements

Well mine did not come with the CD player, so that will be a costly add on. And while for me the 2.5L is adequate, even with the AT, I suppose I would not mind the 3.0L. Overall, I love this car and the attention it draws. It is VERY underrated! It is not a FORD either. Well worth a look!

JUNK
By jcpil1515

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the biggest piece of junk i have ever bought. it started breaking down the 2nd day after i bought it. its has been in the shop 23 times. Warranty just ran out and we are getting rid of this car as quickly as possible. i have had problems with brakes, transmission, ignition, main computer, door panels. My wife and baby have been stranded 3 times because the car wouldn't start it would say security enabled and the only way to reset it is at the dealership. which is 100 miles from where we live. When i had problems with the brakes it went on for 3 months they had to get the engineers who designed the brakes and fly them into the dealership to finally fix them. Bottom line it's junk

Favorite Features

it is a fun car to drive and it does look nice but thats about it

Suggested Improvements

They need to definitely go back to the drawing board

2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport
By James

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a 2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport and am grateful I did. I love driving this car! It has the firm, sports-car oriented driving style that I like in a car. I love driving this car far more than my '02 330i. The car is a head turner. Watch out though for possible electrical problems. I have already had a window regulator go out on the back window. Overall, I would buy this car again and again.

Favorite Features

The Xenon headlights provide excellent lighting at night. The navigation system provides precise directions with adequate warnings for upcoming turns.

Suggested Improvements

The turn signal noise is obnoxious!

Excellent buy as a Used Car
By David

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with this car. I bought it for its appearance and I have not been disappointed. I am, however, disappointed with four things: Poor gas mileage, approximately 20 MPG, even in Highway driving. This vehicle (the 2.5) is severly underpowered, with poor pickup and hill climbing ability. The leg room in the back seat is very poor. It is impossible to tighten the rear view mirror and it moves when you hit a bump. An excellent buy if you don't mind getting poor mileage from special gas and never have anyone sitting in back.

Favorite Features

I really like the styling and appearance. The driving position is very comfortable and the seat can be positioned perfectly for every driving condition. I especially like the lower back support.

Suggested Improvements

More space for the back seats, a better rear view mirror, and better gas mileage.

Mechanically a disgrace!
By Richard Bobo

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 7 months. It went back to the shop under warranty 5 times in less than two months. The transmission still shifts ruff after having the control module reset twice. I have had to replace the drive shaft at an expense of $883.00 and now I have to have the power steering hose replaced at a cost of $489.00. The warranty ran out last month and these expenses have been incurred within less than a month of that!!!! What a piece of junk!!!! Oh I forgot that the vent covers on top of the dash pop up when the temp outside changes and I finally supper glued them down. I will not buy another.

Favorite Features

It looks good sitting in the driveway.

Suggested Improvements

Have the engineers who design these pieces of junk work on them!!!

Great car, couple issues.
By Sarah

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Well I have to say that overall I love the car! However, the second week I had it (it was used 19K on it) the fuel pump went out during rush hour. After the initial nightmare of the towing, all was great with the Jag dealer. It is great looking, love the sunroof and it handles great!!

Favorite Features

Sunroof and the cool interior!

Suggested Improvements

Seriously? Whose idea was it for the sliding arm rest? Not necessary. Also, 2 cup holders would have been nice.

Pretty Lemon
By Tom

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our 2002 x-type after leasing it for three years. During those three years we have had an interior water leak from the vent filter on the dash, pop ups of the vent, interior wood replacement, drivers door panel replaced, coolant hose prung a leak - twice, bearing replaced in suspension, squeaks, brakes replaced, worn tires- we have practically rebuilt the car from the ground up. Every time we bring it in we swear its the last time - but the beauty of it draws us back. Great looking car - but overall, a lemon. I would buy another BMW over a Jag any day- much more reliable.

Favorite Features

Great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

stronger transmission