Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

2002 2.5 x-type
By jim b

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle from a Jaguar dealer as a certified car. The car was fun to drive and is a great looking car. Reliability stinks. I was in and out of the dealer ever other month with little problems. Until the big one happen. 2 1/2 years later after I purchased my car I brought it in because of rust that I found along the rocker panel on both sides of the car. 1 month later the dealer came back to me saying that the car was not repairable. Jaguar purchased back the car from me. The dealer told me that this was a design problem and it was fixed in later year models. 2004 or newer. I purchased a 2005 3.0 x-type bacause of the after market accessories that I had on my 02.

Favorite Features

AWD, looks of the cars interior and exterior. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Don't purchase a 2002 or 2003 xtype. These are the year's know with this design problem where water would not drain from the car properly. My 05 x- type seems to have a much better build quality. Only time will tell!

X-Type is "All that AND more"
By TommyE

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Haven't had mine too long but love it completely. It replaces a 18 year old Acura. Gets better mileage (avg. 21 city) is absolutely stunning to look at and turns heads everywhere I go. This isn't just an automobile, its rolling artwork. When I showed it to my friends the most heard thing they say is, "Oh my god, its so beautiful!" This thing feeds my ego quite nicely. I can't image any other car making me happier. I am very very satisfed.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth Handeling Mileage Power Comfort Style, Style, Style

Suggested Improvements

How can I knock it? I certainly could not have done better if I had designed it myself. There will be no broman wheels on my ride! A class act just as it is.

2002 - bad year for X-Type
By tomas

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Jaguar X-Type I purchased had only 2000 miles on it when purchased. The dealer was excellent, however my car was in the shop for repair numerous times. Transmission rebuilt at 45000 miles, starter and alternator replaced at the same mileage. The rear axle had to replaced, at my own expense at a cost of $1000.00, because of sensor issue at 60000 miles. I had to superglue vent cover down on dash, sensor lights keep coming on, poor gas mileage, avg. 20 mpg. I would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Favorite Features

Looks are great and the ride is comfortable, although a tight cabin.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs extensive quality control team to rectify its problems.

Hit Or Miss Car
By acg042000

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 3.0 Liter X Types. One was great, only a few minor problems in 2 years. This sport model I have now is a lemon. Constant new noises, died 2 times for who knows what, and has probably been in the shop 10 times for maintenance. Good thing I have a warranty. To top it off, the car loses its value faster than anything Ive seen on this planet. All European cars are finicky, its really hit or miss. If you want these cars, get a warranty.

Favorite Features

GPS, woodgrain, style, wheels on the sport package, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, computer system, rattles, cheap plastics next to expensive wood, cheap leather quality, bumpy suspension.

A lot of little car.
By Jess

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 8 months now and I believe I am sold on Jaguar for life. It is such a joy to drive at any speed. You can really feel the road with this car and you have to make a conscious effort to push it to the edges of its performance envelope. I have the sport suspension and manual trans and when I get on a twisty road I really want to wring it out. The car is very quiet with respect to wind and the all wheel drive and traction control systems are top notch. The engine will rev to 7000rpm and has power from about 1500 rpm on up. After owning about 20 cars I cannot praise this car enough if you like performance in your subtile family sedan.

Favorite Features

Engine, manual transmission and chassis make it a total thrill to drive. I especially like wet or light snow conditions where it goes almost as well as on dry pavement. Seat is comfortable and the paint and interior look so good people are always telling me they think it is brand new.

Suggested Improvements

The car has made 4 trips to the dealer in the eight months I have owned it. The treatment I get from them is awesome and I still have CPO warranty but it is having more mechanical problems than some of the competitors. The suspension is noisy on rough roads.