2002 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
The worst car I've ever owned
By Ed on 01/08/07 12:52 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car loves to spend time getting service. It's been at the dealer for service 10 months of the 48 months I've owned the car. I can't remember the many new parts it has but you can say they have rebuilt the thing. Nobody can deny is beautiful but is a piece of junk.

An Excellent Automobile
By davidb on 11/29/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This automobile is excellent except for three drawbacks: there is minimal space in the back for passengers, gas mileage is very poor, the wheels cannot be easily removed, they stick to the rotors. It would be impossible to remove a wheel in an emergency. Otherwise an excellent car, well built and reliable.

Great pre-owned car for the modest price
By TDUBYA on 10/10/06 10:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sport is an excellent vehicle. Good gas mileage great entry level comfort and a very sexy appearance that could only come from Jaguar. Incredible pre-owned value for all those who've always wanted to own a Jag but couldn't fit it into their budget. The key to owning a reliable, pleasurable, fun to drive, X-type is to purchase a pre-owned one that is still under factory warranty, take it directly to your local Jag dealership, and have the maintenance department verify or carry out all the service bulletin upgrades, recalls and repairs which will be free of charge. After all services and repairs are complete take you vehicle home drive it and enjoy.

Outstanding value when purchased used
By Tom on 10/03/06 12:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before deciding on this car, a mint 2002 X-Type 2.5 Automatic in Carnival Red. I had wanted an entry-luxury car to handle my long daily commute and I looked at BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Infiniti, etc. I was drawn to this car's great looks and the comments I get from others confirm that. I knew of Jaguar's dubious history of poor reliability and also read many of the lukewarm and even negative reviews. I am very pleased with this car. It is an amazing value on the used market. I can understand that some who bought new may be a little underwhelmed because of the price. But at the price I paid this car is a steal. I was able to add an extended warranty.

JUNK
By jcpil1515 on 05/21/06 18:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the biggest piece of junk i have ever bought. it started breaking down the 2nd day after i bought it. its has been in the shop 23 times. Warranty just ran out and we are getting rid of this car as quickly as possible. i have had problems with brakes, transmission, ignition, main computer, door panels. My wife and baby have been stranded 3 times because the car wouldn't start it would say security enabled and the only way to reset it is at the dealership. which is 100 miles from where we live. When i had problems with the brakes it went on for 3 months they had to get the engineers who designed the brakes and fly them into the dealership to finally fix them. Bottom line it's junk

2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport
By James on 05/02/06 14:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a 2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport and am grateful I did. I love driving this car! It has the firm, sports-car oriented driving style that I like in a car. I love driving this car far more than my '02 330i. The car is a head turner. Watch out though for possible electrical problems. I have already had a window regulator go out on the back window. Overall, I would buy this car again and again.

Excellent buy as a Used Car
By David on 04/01/06 17:47 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with this car. I bought it for its appearance and I have not been disappointed. I am, however, disappointed with four things: Poor gas mileage, approximately 20 MPG, even in Highway driving. This vehicle (the 2.5) is severly underpowered, with poor pickup and hill climbing ability. The leg room in the back seat is very poor. It is impossible to tighten the rear view mirror and it moves when you hit a bump. An excellent buy if you don't mind getting poor mileage from special gas and never have anyone sitting in back.

Mechanically a disgrace!
By Richard Bobo on 12/14/05 20:29 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 7 months. It went back to the shop under warranty 5 times in less than two months. The transmission still shifts ruff after having the control module reset twice. I have had to replace the drive shaft at an expense of $883.00 and now I have to have the power steering hose replaced at a cost of $489.00. The warranty ran out last month and these expenses have been incurred within less than a month of that!!!! What a piece of junk!!!! Oh I forgot that the vent covers on top of the dash pop up when the temp outside changes and I finally supper glued them down. I will not buy another.

Great car, couple issues.
By Sarah on 11/20/05 02:04 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Well I have to say that overall I love the car! However, the second week I had it (it was used 19K on it) the fuel pump went out during rush hour. After the initial nightmare of the towing, all was great with the Jag dealer. It is great looking, love the sunroof and it handles great!!

Pretty Lemon
By Tom on 11/05/05 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our 2002 x-type after leasing it for three years. During those three years we have had an interior water leak from the vent filter on the dash, pop ups of the vent, interior wood replacement, drivers door panel replaced, coolant hose prung a leak - twice, bearing replaced in suspension, squeaks, brakes replaced, worn tires- we have practically rebuilt the car from the ground up. Every time we bring it in we swear its the last time - but the beauty of it draws us back. Great looking car - but overall, a lemon. I would buy another BMW over a Jag any day- much more reliable.