Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Wow GREAT Performance for 2.5S
By AC

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the jag with 56k mi about 1 1/2 yr ago and I was blown away on how well the performance of this car it sounds like an American muscle car when I punch it to pass uphill or entering freeway. It's fast for a V6 and it does roar. Now I'm hooked on jag! The only thing is when I needed oil pan gasket fix it's hard to get into the pan without taking apart everything from the bottom and labor was expensive plus parts $1000. When I purchased it I did not know that it was an AWD and my gas mileage is poor in mix driving but you can get good mileage on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, 6 CD changer, backup sensors and steering wheel controls. Body style the looks dual power seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make all parts from the engine bay easy accessible to mechanics so it will not costs us so much for labor. Why did you stop making the X-Type bring it back only this time make some coupes and make the AWD system an option. Also bring back the cat on the hood from all makes of jaguars we like those.

Great car -still going strong
By yklktk

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderfully smooth on the highway, with paw like handling on country roads. The manual shift 2.5 gives back performance lost in the automatics I tested - the car will really move with revs kept above 2500.

Favorite Features

Great styling; excellent paint work and finish; AWD; back-up radar; excellent front seats, rear is adequate; nice leather.

Suggested Improvements

Crammed driver leg and shoulder room if you are taller than about 5'9". Wiper arms need stiffening. Oil-pan leak around 50k miles suggests better gasket design is in order. Similarly, plastic coolant reservoir tank has cracked at 60k miles suggesting poor quality material. Thin floor mats.

Special car
By buckeyebrit

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This was my 1st Jaguar purchase in the States after having 2 UK models back in Blighty before emigrating to the US. I was dubious about buying a US specification car after enjoying a X- type & a S-type over the pond. My concerns were soon put to bed after I took the car for a test drive. I loved it, despite the steering wheel being on the wrong side. When you sit behind the wheel of a Jag, you know you're sat in a car that all the "others" aspire to match! My wife had been "Japanese cars only" until she drove the Jag. Now she won't even look at anything else. It handles like a sports car, the AWD is awesome, the quality and driving experience are unmatched from anything else out there!

Favorite Features

The seats are soooo comfy... the AWD inspires confidence in bad weather and the handling is incredible!

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat leg room is poor. With a baby seat you have to move the front seats a long way forward to accommodate the seat. This is NOT a good family car. Go for the larger XJ8 if you have a family, the X-Type is far too small!

Electrical problems like any other Ford.
By tgapoz

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle however maintenance is costly. Expect several hundred dollars for the simplest of repairs. My particular annoyance deals with electrical. Why would someone tie in the moon roof, interior lights and blower into one module. $300 to trace the problem and $500 to replace module. I refuse to replace and let this issue remind me to never buy a Ford product again. The work around was to unplug the module but that means no interior lights or moon roof. Oddly enough the blower worked. $1300 for brakes, $700 for an oil pan leak.

Favorite Features

Great color, handling, stereo, curb appeal... a real head turner.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and cheaper repair bills. There is no justification for 82 dollars for a set of 2 brake pads. Engineer the parts to fit better so they do not come loose from the interior when hitting bumps.

Transmission problems for the past 2yrs.
By Gilfigga

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 X-Type just went out of warranty in March, 2008. This morning I took the car to the shop because the transmission began to slip. For the past 2 years, I've been seeing a gear fault light but the service center could not duplicate the message. Now the transmission is gone and it will cost me close to $9K to get it fixed. The car is not even worth that much anymore! Where is the reliability for buying such an expensive car?

Suggested Improvements

Extend the drive train warranty to at least 100,000 if you believe in your engineering. Compete with the other automakers offering this attractive warranty. My recommendation, don't buy a Jaguar unless they offer you at least a 7yr or 100,000 mile warranty.