2002 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
take the good with the bad
By kmac on 12/03/07 08:28 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my X-type a couple years used and I believe I got a great value for the money, thanks to the high rate of depreciation on Jags. The car has been fairly reliable for me; it looks like it cost 3 times more than I paid for it; and the AWD is great in snow. The the downside of owning a used Jag is that once the warranty runs out (along with the included maintenance), upkeep is costly, especially at the dealership where $500 to $1,000 for scheduled maintenance is normal. I would say that if you value the "cool factor" more than such practical considerations as reliability, resale value, maintenance costs, etc., then this is great car for the money - if you bought used that is.

Diamond in the Rough
By freedog on 09/24/07 09:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in May of 2007 as a CPO with 100k warranty and immediately took it cross country. I compare this vehicle to Audi 3.0. 1. Biggest Surprise - handling! This car handles amazingly well and has better overall feel then the Audi because of it's 60% rear wheel drive, though steering wheel feedback is not as precise. 2. Biggest Disappointment - a few squeaks in the steering column and a noisy window at certain speeds. 3. Overall - with a 100k warranty, fantastic handling, Jag interior and ample horsepower, this is a perfect vehicle for those looking for a spirited car but with an eye more on luxury. Bonus is the mystical status that comes with the Jag name.

True Blue but often Yellow
By KCnHouston on 07/12/07 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It was the best of cars, it was the worst of cars. After almost 5 years I still love this car. But the fun of driving a X-Type Sport 2.5 quickly wore thin after returning the car for service and repairs more often than I can remember. I kept all of the records but I don't think that I will keep them in the car when I go to try to sell it because I don't want anyone to see how many times the car has needed repair.

Real Estate Machine
By David J. on 06/21/07 14:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 02 X-Type. I had upgraded from a 97 Cad STS. What a different car. I feel the Jag is more refined while remaining sporty. The all wheel drive is a must for the Colorado winters. In fact the X-Type is so good in the snow that I feel no need to purchase a SUV. The car has a few quirks like the turn signals won't turn off unless you make a full turn. I also wish the car had more driver leg room since I am 6'2". Overall though I have to say that when I went to the dealer I was going to buy a BMW or Audi. I had such a bad attitude about the old Jags and their lack of reliability I didn't even want to test drive it. Once I drove it I immediately bought it and will drive nothing else.

Great little car
By Tom on 06/14/07 23:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car because of its curb appeal and AWD. To date and 55000 miles later, I am not disappointed. I opted for standard transmission and the 3.0 engine and the car revs nicely when needed. Not a problem uphill or to pass at all. Gas mileage is a matter of driving styles, the Jag gives me 21-23 city and 23-25 highway. The car stills turns heads wherever I drive it

Need re-engineering
By Cliff on 06/14/07 21:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What a disappointment this car is. A lot of cheesy engineering. Transmission died at 45000 miles, cost $7200. Need new brake job at 42000 miles, cost $1,200. Can only be done by Jag or you can expect to hear brake noise, even with genuine pads and rotors.The vent cover pops up all the time near the windshield and makes noise, the driver seat moves forward 1/4" - 1/2" went stopping, the middle console rocks side-to-side like it's going to come apart.

Overall Great Car
By Brad on 05/09/07 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X-Type used a little over two years ago. I have loved every minute of it. I have not had any reliability issues with the car at all. I have only had it in to the dealer for routine service. Also, the 2.5L V6 has more than enough power for daily driving. Before I bought the car, I had read several reviews stating that the car was underpowered. Unless you're buying this car to do drag racing, this is not the case. I find it has as much, or even more power than my last car - a Infiniti I35 with a 3.5L V6. The X-Type's AWD system also has a leg up on the BMW 325xi. This is a great car for the price!

Beautiful and an excellent value
By Minimac on 03/21/07 08:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used from the local Jaguar dealer with the 6 year 100,000 mile certified warranty, which made this car an incredible value. It was $2,000 - $3,000 less then most new American sedans that had no features. This is a beautiful automobile. The all wheel drive is worth every penny, including the reduction in gas mileage. The 5 speed automatic is perfectly matched for the 2.5 litre engine. More horsepower would be a plus, but mid-range acceleration is still darned impressive considering this engine's displacement. Great car for the money! As good as any European sedan at a lower price, better than most others.

So far so good
By bigbaby on 02/06/07 14:30 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used 2002 X-Type 2.5 for my wife whose 95 XJ6 finally bit the dust. Car has about 1 year left of certified pre-owned Jag warranty and 58K miles. Car is absolutely beautiful inside and out. Not a rocket but is ok to get around town. Took long trip in Texas and performed well, but I found the seats a bit tiresome on long drives. Tranny shifts quickly and smoothly.

It's far better than I suspected
By Rich on 01/14/07 16:50 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just passed the 60,000 mile mark on my '02 X-Type 3.0 with five-speed manual. The car has about all the options, including GPS NAV and the CD changer. I recently had one maintenance problem with the car and that was the coolant thermostat intermittably stuck at about 58,000 miles. It fully convered on Jag's Special Edition warranty. No charge to me. Other than that, the car's been trouble free.