Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Transmission swap
By Zoomer

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those of you who had a automatic transmission swap (out of warranty) had two options, buy a new tranny or a rebuilt unit. I chose the rebuilt unit ($2700 including labor). Afterward I looked into the issue and found the rebuilt have enhancements and internal fixes the brand-new ones lack. So rebuilt is BETTER than new.

Favorite Features

Handling and traction in bad weather. Comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Certainly a revised tranny (automatic).

A victim of misjudging
By Curtis K

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My X-Type has treated me very well; power and handling are always there when I need it. On the road, I'm confidant of the ability to pass someone even if they try to accelerate to close the gap. Sitting in this car, you really feel at one with the machine as the seat wraps around your body reassuringly, connecting you with the road as the roar of the engine actually sounds like the primal growl of a wild, angry jaguar. The steering wheel allows you to feel your way without becoming disconnected from the road as you do with many luxury cars. We have to remember, to judge this car in the same class as other high-end cars would be unfair. This is an entry level car delivering above par results.

Favorite Features

The short wheel base allows for in- town maneuverability with ease. The disability of traction control is a nice feature. The boot has plenty of space, especially with the option of dropping the rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

The AWD is reassuring in weather, however it slows down the acceleration from the line considerably. With MT, you cannot pop the clutch as all that traction blogs the engine down initially. This car really needed another 100 HP, with that it would be an Impreza killer!

Car shakes and wont accelerate over 40
By alex sholom

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a jaguar X type 2.5 and when i would accelerate the car would shake and slow down as if running out of fuel. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't solve it even though the fuel filter was almost clogged. I tried changing sensors and thought it was the transmission but the reason was when i was washing the engine water got into the spark plugs and was blocking off the spark. I blew out all the water with an air compressor then put in the spark plugs and it works like a charm ever since. hopefully this can be helpful to somebody.

To whom it may concern
By towhothismyconcern

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jaguar a year ago used from a hometown dealer. The car only had one previous owner and was bought with 78k miles. i was so excited about my new car and i looked great driving it. The car was such a beauty. i later found out that beauty isn't everything when within the first year of owning this vehicle I've had to replace the starter, water pump and transmission. this car has cost me 7k, almost more than it's worth. i guess it's a lesson learned. I'm writing this review to help anyone anyway i can.

Never again will I buy another Jaguar
By Hate It!!!!

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I will never buy another Jaguar. I have owned my car for 3 years and have had it in the shop for countless things (in fact, it needs to be taken in again but I just don't care anymore). Thank God the dealership would not sell it to me without an extended warranty otherwise I would be in BIG trouble. I can't even begin to tell you about all the issues with it. And, to make matters worse, I am trying to trade it in for a newer, more reliable vehicle and I have been the laughing stock of every dealership I have been to. I am about $10,000 upside down in it which is making negotiations very difficult. I will never, ever recommend one of these cars. They are crap.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning and heaters work well.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Very disappointed in this car.