Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Student
By Student

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Jaguar x-type just hit 120,000 and still drives great! My dad purchased the car in 2005 and recently I purchased the car since I commute to school. The car drives well, and is extremely responsive. It's a very high performance car, and will perform to keep you safe. The interior is like riding in your living room. The car is very good in the snow. I have the FWD drive model, and while everyone else is skidding off the road, I am moving along with no problems. We are located in Ohio and I have driven on some nasty snow packed country roads with it, and it performed great. As a student who commutes, I needed a safe reliable car and Jaguar fits the bill.

The snow handling is great! I love the smoothness of the car at high speeds. The car still looks new, and is an eye catcher, but most importantly this is a very safe car, and feels solid! I feel very safe driving it in any condition.

The car only has one cup holder up front. The fuel economy is around 20 for city driving, that could be improved and the maintenance is EXPENSIVE! If you buy this car, budget for the high prices and maintenance parts. Parts don't fail often, but they they do, its expensive. The back seat is cramped.

Transmission swap
By Zoomer

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those of you who had a automatic transmission swap (out of warranty) had two options, buy a new tranny or a rebuilt unit. I chose the rebuilt unit ($2700 including labor). Afterward I looked into the issue and found the rebuilt have enhancements and internal fixes the brand-new ones lack. So rebuilt is BETTER than new.

Handling and traction in bad weather. Comfortable on long trips.

Certainly a revised tranny (automatic).

A victim of misjudging
By Curtis K

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My X-Type has treated me very well; power and handling are always there when I need it. On the road, I'm confidant of the ability to pass someone even if they try to accelerate to close the gap. Sitting in this car, you really feel at one with the machine as the seat wraps around your body reassuringly, connecting you with the road as the roar of the engine actually sounds like the primal growl of a wild, angry jaguar. The steering wheel allows you to feel your way without becoming disconnected from the road as you do with many luxury cars. We have to remember, to judge this car in the same class as other high-end cars would be unfair. This is an entry level car delivering above par results.

The short wheel base allows for in- town maneuverability with ease. The disability of traction control is a nice feature. The boot has plenty of space, especially with the option of dropping the rear seats.

The AWD is reassuring in weather, however it slows down the acceleration from the line considerably. With MT, you cannot pop the clutch as all that traction blogs the engine down initially. This car really needed another 100 HP, with that it would be an Impreza killer!

Car shakes and wont accelerate over 40
By alex sholom

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a jaguar X type 2.5 and when i would accelerate the car would shake and slow down as if running out of fuel. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't solve it even though the fuel filter was almost clogged. I tried changing sensors and thought it was the transmission but the reason was when i was washing the engine water got into the spark plugs and was blocking off the spark. I blew out all the water with an air compressor then put in the spark plugs and it works like a charm ever since. hopefully this can be helpful to somebody.

To whom it may concern
By towhothismyconcern

2002 Jaguar X-Type Sedan 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jaguar a year ago used from a hometown dealer. The car only had one previous owner and was bought with 78k miles. i was so excited about my new car and i looked great driving it. The car was such a beauty. i later found out that beauty isn't everything when within the first year of owning this vehicle I've had to replace the starter, water pump and transmission. this car has cost me 7k, almost more than it's worth. i guess it's a lesson learned. I'm writing this review to help anyone anyway i can.

• SUV