2002 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Wow GREAT Performance for 2.5S
By AC on 12/29/09 00:28 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the jag with 56k mi about 1 1/2 yr ago and I was blown away on how well the performance of this car it sounds like an American muscle car when I punch it to pass uphill or entering freeway. It's fast for a V6 and it does roar. Now I'm hooked on jag! The only thing is when I needed oil pan gasket fix it's hard to get into the pan without taking apart everything from the bottom and labor was expensive plus parts $1000. When I purchased it I did not know that it was an AWD and my gas mileage is poor in mix driving but you can get good mileage on the freeway.

Great car -still going strong
By yklktk on 12/03/09 06:31 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderfully smooth on the highway, with paw like handling on country roads. The manual shift 2.5 gives back performance lost in the automatics I tested - the car will really move with revs kept above 2500.

Special car
By buckeyebrit on 11/27/09 18:01 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This was my 1st Jaguar purchase in the States after having 2 UK models back in Blighty before emigrating to the US. I was dubious about buying a US specification car after enjoying a X- type & a S-type over the pond. My concerns were soon put to bed after I took the car for a test drive. I loved it, despite the steering wheel being on the wrong side. When you sit behind the wheel of a Jag, you know you're sat in a car that all the "others" aspire to match! My wife had been "Japanese cars only" until she drove the Jag. Now she won't even look at anything else. It handles like a sports car, the AWD is awesome, the quality and driving experience are unmatched from anything else out there!

Electrical problems like any other Ford.
By tgapoz on 08/24/08 06:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle however maintenance is costly. Expect several hundred dollars for the simplest of repairs. My particular annoyance deals with electrical. Why would someone tie in the moon roof, interior lights and blower into one module. $300 to trace the problem and $500 to replace module. I refuse to replace and let this issue remind me to never buy a Ford product again. The work around was to unplug the module but that means no interior lights or moon roof. Oddly enough the blower worked. $1300 for brakes, $700 for an oil pan leak.

Transmission problems for the past 2yrs.
By Gilfigga on 08/22/08 07:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 X-Type just went out of warranty in March, 2008. This morning I took the car to the shop because the transmission began to slip. For the past 2 years, I've been seeing a gear fault light but the service center could not duplicate the message. Now the transmission is gone and it will cost me close to $9K to get it fixed. The car is not even worth that much anymore! Where is the reliability for buying such an expensive car?

2002 2.5 x-type
By jim b on 08/05/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle from a Jaguar dealer as a certified car. The car was fun to drive and is a great looking car. Reliability stinks. I was in and out of the dealer ever other month with little problems. Until the big one happen. 2 1/2 years later after I purchased my car I brought it in because of rust that I found along the rocker panel on both sides of the car. 1 month later the dealer came back to me saying that the car was not repairable. Jaguar purchased back the car from me. The dealer told me that this was a design problem and it was fixed in later year models. 2004 or newer. I purchased a 2005 3.0 x-type bacause of the after market accessories that I had on my 02.

X-Type is "All that AND more"
By TommyE on 04/26/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Haven't had mine too long but love it completely. It replaces a 18 year old Acura. Gets better mileage (avg. 21 city) is absolutely stunning to look at and turns heads everywhere I go. This isn't just an automobile, its rolling artwork. When I showed it to my friends the most heard thing they say is, "Oh my god, its so beautiful!" This thing feeds my ego quite nicely. I can't image any other car making me happier. I am very very satisfed.

2002 - bad year for X-Type
By tomas on 03/16/08 04:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Jaguar X-Type I purchased had only 2000 miles on it when purchased. The dealer was excellent, however my car was in the shop for repair numerous times. Transmission rebuilt at 45000 miles, starter and alternator replaced at the same mileage. The rear axle had to replaced, at my own expense at a cost of $1000.00, because of sensor issue at 60000 miles. I had to superglue vent cover down on dash, sensor lights keep coming on, poor gas mileage, avg. 20 mpg. I would not recommend this brand to anyone.

Hit Or Miss Car
By acg042000 on 03/13/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 3.0 Liter X Types. One was great, only a few minor problems in 2 years. This sport model I have now is a lemon. Constant new noises, died 2 times for who knows what, and has probably been in the shop 10 times for maintenance. Good thing I have a warranty. To top it off, the car loses its value faster than anything Ive seen on this planet. All European cars are finicky, its really hit or miss. If you want these cars, get a warranty.

A lot of little car.
By Jess on 03/10/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 8 months now and I believe I am sold on Jaguar for life. It is such a joy to drive at any speed. You can really feel the road with this car and you have to make a conscious effort to push it to the edges of its performance envelope. I have the sport suspension and manual trans and when I get on a twisty road I really want to wring it out. The car is very quiet with respect to wind and the all wheel drive and traction control systems are top notch. The engine will rev to 7000rpm and has power from about 1500 rpm on up. After owning about 20 cars I cannot praise this car enough if you like performance in your subtile family sedan.