2002 Jaguar X-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:
Great car for the money
By tarrid on 01/02/14 20:21 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well !!!!! as with every car we review, we will find owners that hate and owners that love ther rides. My Jag is by no means perfect ( NO CAR IS ) but for a car under $5000 Look at what you get. Luxury!!!!!. Do your own oil changes. Your own break job. And if you cant. DONT take it to a dealership. Find a good indi shop. Buy your parts on e-bay. It will cost you just as much to repair as a Ford. (preventative maintanance) is what it is about. You will have a very reliable car with the Jaguar.

Well it is early, but what a deal
By ukxpat on 11/09/12 21:52 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I was looking for AWD for the snow conditions we live in. Subaru, Honda, 100k miles 15 grand plus. I found a 2002 Jaguar AWD with 29k miles! 10 year old car looks brand new! Amazing 1/2 the price of them japanese cars! I drove it home on the curvey mtn roads and that auto/manual tranny, I never had to use the breaks! Got about 25 mpg fwy, and 19 mountain roads. I never expected to get an older vehicle that is like new!!!

Amazing car for the price
By disguay on 02/07/12 13:40 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my jaguar x-type (sport, lowered, 3.0, manual) for about 8 months and 12k miles. I have never been let down once with this car (even with 120k miles,) although other reviewers will say different. The only trick with this car is that it doesn't like to be abused. If you keep everything maintained via recommendations on forums and not the dealership, everything will continue to run smoothly.

Decent Entry Level Luxury Car
By ivanrothschild on 12/22/10 19:15 PM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my X-Type for two years. It handles well. Not quick when accelerating until you get over 2500rpms. Handles fantastic in snow. I've had to rebuild one of the brake calipers. Every imaginable lightbulb has gone out (replaced easily and cheaply). Overall it is reliable, but not super comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is so-so. It's a head-turner, but I quickly realized I'd like a car that rides smoother and handles better. Suspension feels stiff. Great deal for the money though minus some minor annoyances at times. When it's freshly cleaned, I do sit up straighter in my seat...It's a Jag, hardly anyone has one! Fit for a queen, affordable (if you buy used) for everyone.

Student
By Student on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Jaguar x-type just hit 120,000 and still drives great! My dad purchased the car in 2005 and recently I purchased the car since I commute to school. The car drives well, and is extremely responsive. It's a very high performance car, and will perform to keep you safe. The interior is like riding in your living room. The car is very good in the snow. I have the FWD drive model, and while everyone else is skidding off the road, I am moving along with no problems. We are located in Ohio and I have driven on some nasty snow packed country roads with it, and it performed great. As a student who commutes, I needed a safe reliable car and Jaguar fits the bill.

Transmission swap
By Zoomer on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those of you who had a automatic transmission swap (out of warranty) had two options, buy a new tranny or a rebuilt unit. I chose the rebuilt unit ($2700 including labor). Afterward I looked into the issue and found the rebuilt have enhancements and internal fixes the brand-new ones lack. So rebuilt is BETTER than new.

A victim of misjudging
By Curtis K on 05/16/10 09:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My X-Type has treated me very well; power and handling are always there when I need it. On the road, I'm confidant of the ability to pass someone even if they try to accelerate to close the gap. Sitting in this car, you really feel at one with the machine as the seat wraps around your body reassuringly, connecting you with the road as the roar of the engine actually sounds like the primal growl of a wild, angry jaguar. The steering wheel allows you to feel your way without becoming disconnected from the road as you do with many luxury cars. We have to remember, to judge this car in the same class as other high-end cars would be unfair. This is an entry level car delivering above par results.

Car shakes and wont accelerate over 40
By alex sholom on 04/19/10 06:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a jaguar X type 2.5 and when i would accelerate the car would shake and slow down as if running out of fuel. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't solve it even though the fuel filter was almost clogged. I tried changing sensors and thought it was the transmission but the reason was when i was washing the engine water got into the spark plugs and was blocking off the spark. I blew out all the water with an air compressor then put in the spark plugs and it works like a charm ever since. hopefully this can be helpful to somebody.

To whom it may concern
By towhothismyconcern on 04/02/10 21:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jaguar a year ago used from a hometown dealer. The car only had one previous owner and was bought with 78k miles. i was so excited about my new car and i looked great driving it. The car was such a beauty. i later found out that beauty isn't everything when within the first year of owning this vehicle I've had to replace the starter, water pump and transmission. this car has cost me 7k, almost more than it's worth. i guess it's a lesson learned. I'm writing this review to help anyone anyway i can.

Never again will I buy another Jaguar
By Hate It!!!! on 03/15/10 17:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I will never buy another Jaguar. I have owned my car for 3 years and have had it in the shop for countless things (in fact, it needs to be taken in again but I just don't care anymore). Thank God the dealership would not sell it to me without an extended warranty otherwise I would be in BIG trouble. I can't even begin to tell you about all the issues with it. And, to make matters worse, I am trying to trade it in for a newer, more reliable vehicle and I have been the laughing stock of every dealership I have been to. I am about $10,000 upside down in it which is making negotiations very difficult. I will never, ever recommend one of these cars. They are crap.