2005 Jaguar S-Type R - Consumer Reviews

R 4.2L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Automatic - (27 reviews )
What an outstanding car
By fa5tcat on 04/03/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I purchased this 2005 TYPE R a few months ago with 58000 miles on it. I deperately wanted the 05 s they made improvements to it and i had driven the 03 which was still an impressive car. It is by far the best luxury sports sedan i have owned, being British i wanted a car to match and this is definately above what i expected. The power and equipment are awesome and comes close to the MB BMW M5 equivalent. It maybe doesnt have the toys of the M5 but in comparison it feels bespoke and handmade in many areas and less clinical. I had a few fault lights come on for no reason but soon learned that the marine sized battery in the trunk was low on power and was ready to be replaced. Now it just WOW

Triumph of engineering.
By Gruderian on 03/30/08 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Designed for those who have enough experience with cars to appreciate all that it offers. Holds the road like glue. Power is more than enough for todays driving. Very comfortable for 2 people. City gas mileage is around 12 to 13 mpg. Highway 21 to 22 mpg. at around 90 mph with a lot of downshifting to pass. No problems of any kind so far. Feels like what it is, a luxury sports sedan, no matter where you drive it. Sound system is as good as I have heard in any car, regardless of price if you set it up right. This car is for the young at heart who like to experience excitement when they drive. One test drive will validate what I just said. Top value for the money. Highly recommended.

Performance, Luxury and Smiles!
By PHILBERRINGER on 11/15/07 06:33 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

In January 2005, I purchased a new fully loaded S-type R to go with my 2003 XKR convertible. I added to both cars a custom Mina chromed high performance exhaust, AEM cool air intake and a smaller supercharger pully. This increased the H.P to over 450 and the total cost was less than $1200.00. Custom made sheep skins were added for extra ride comfort and what a truly great high performance, luxury experience these cars are to drive. My wife and I can hardly wait to drive these cars and when we go out together, we flip a coin to see who gets to drive. Other than regular oil changes and recommended Jaguar maintenance, neither car has ever had one thing wrong with it. We will always buy Jaguars.

Performance for those with patience
By RWhite on 05/15/07 08:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Fast, luxurious, comfortable, and very easy to handle. However, 25 months after I bought it new, during which it was in the shop for warranty work for 38 days, I had to trade it for a car I could depend on. When it runs, it is wonderful. However, everything negative about Jaguar's reliability came true. I would only recommend this car to someone who has money, patience, and lives very close to a Jaguar dealer.

S type - Stand out from the crowd
By Tony on 05/11/07 10:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I have owned my S type R for quite some time now and I have to say it's a pleasure to drive. The looks alone make it stand out from the masses but the performance is sensational. Jaguars of old have had some bad press, I'm here to say that's all changed. What other performance sedan can you buy used with a 400 hp engine for under $40k? These cars are classics in waiting and represent fantastic bang for your buck.

Smooth Rocket
By WileCoyote on 12/04/06 19:59 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Make no mistake, this car is a worthy adversary for the M5 and E55. The latter may be faster but the Jaguar gives you a great deal of power for less money. This car can easily get 25 mpg on the highway - not bad for a supercharged car. A great car that keeps getting better,

Incredible Car and a Great Value
By Steve on 02/24/06 12:53 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Absolutely love this car! Off the line performance put to shame my old 2001 996. Add 25 more HP, more aggressive differential and transmission gearing and you have the equivalent performance of BMW M and MB AMG at tens of thousands of dollars in savings. Ride is great and styling to die for...I get more walk-ups and comments on the Jag than the 911. The R is a rarety even in San Diego and people notice.

A fierce machine with civilized exterior
By David Tan on 01/19/06 15:09 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I have been driving S Type R. for about a year. The power from its 398 horse engine is ferocious and quick. You have to remind yourself to lighten the gas to avoid speeding. Its price is competitive in the range of performance sedans without sacrificing any amenities and style. Sleek design with 18" wheels and performance tires. The jewel of the crown is the grill, it's like the chain mail of medieval knight, thus giving a hint of old British trait of lineage and class. I like it more than the BMW 5 Series.

Dream Car
By ThomasE on 01/17/06 13:57 PM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I love this car. I have only had it for three weeks and it's so much fun to drive I can't stay out of it. I find excuses to drive somewhere/anywhere. Best looking car on the road and the performance is outstanding. Almost perfect blend of luxury and performance. I picked this car over MB, BMW, Lexus, Audi, and all the Infinitis. I made the right choice.

great car!
By Bruce on 06/25/05 21:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Love this car. Great handling, speed and ride. Retro look is perfect. In '06, HP to be increased from 390 to 400. The engine of the new '07 XKR is reported be increasing to a 4.7 liter, 450 HP. Please, please put that engine in this car. I would be thrilled to upgrade again.