Used 2005 Jaguar S-Type R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar S-Type

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

What an outstanding car
By fa5tcat

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I purchased this 2005 TYPE R a few months ago with 58000 miles on it. I deperately wanted the 05 s they made improvements to it and i had driven the 03 which was still an impressive car. It is by far the best luxury sports sedan i have owned, being British i wanted a car to match and this is definately above what i expected. The power and equipment are awesome and comes close to the MB BMW M5 equivalent. It maybe doesnt have the toys of the M5 but in comparison it feels bespoke and handmade in many areas and less clinical. I had a few fault lights come on for no reason but soon learned that the marine sized battery in the trunk was low on power and was ready to be replaced. Now it just WOW

Favorite Features

0-100 wow! SAT NAV is great.A very posh English lady gives me directions,easy to use,the touchscreen is fantastic. Integrated into the touch screen is the stereo system which i think sounds fantastic with two sub woofers on the rear shelf. Its easy to adjust and gives good accoustic qualities. The adaptive cruise control is an excellent feature, it saved me from speeding tickets when following other speeding drivers and then slowing me down when they see the police and of course im only doing 70 by they time they see me The small block supercharged V8 is fantastic.The whine when pushed and it makes sounds like a growling cat.I ask myself did Jaguar make it sound like a cat deliberatly

Suggested Improvements

Some sort of IPOD/MP3 input would of been nice, i know its an optional extra but probably should of been standard. I think bluetooth for you phone should of been standard as well. As well as the S button i think they could of tweaked the car with W button for winter. it really is a handful in the snow and ice and it seems regardless of how good those huge rear tires are its hard to get moving on a snowy hill and extreamly twitchy on slippery roads. The removal of the fog lights on the front in 05 wasn't a design change but they did look good. I guess the necessity for extra cooling outweighed the need for foglights. Since US cars dont have them at all i guess the rear ones are a bonus.

Triumph of engineering.
By Gruderian

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Designed for those who have enough experience with cars to appreciate all that it offers. Holds the road like glue. Power is more than enough for todays driving. Very comfortable for 2 people. City gas mileage is around 12 to 13 mpg. Highway 21 to 22 mpg. at around 90 mph with a lot of downshifting to pass. No problems of any kind so far. Feels like what it is, a luxury sports sedan, no matter where you drive it. Sound system is as good as I have heard in any car, regardless of price if you set it up right. This car is for the young at heart who like to experience excitement when they drive. One test drive will validate what I just said. Top value for the money. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Engine. Suspension. Brakes. Transmission. Seats. Sound system. Heater (the one on my previous Lexus gs 430 was a bad joke as were the seats). Highway cruising above 90 mph. Absolute reliability under all conditions. Feeling of total control behind the wheel at any speed or traffic condition.

Suggested Improvements

Better (acceptable) gas mileage for city driving. Easier to read info in instrument panel (does not apply to guages). A little more room for the driver and front passenger. More trunk space. A more convenient, dash mounted CD cartridge player. A dash clock that can actually be read in daylight.

Performance, Luxury and Smiles!
By PHILBERRINGER

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

In January 2005, I purchased a new fully loaded S-type R to go with my 2003 XKR convertible. I added to both cars a custom Mina chromed high performance exhaust, AEM cool air intake and a smaller supercharger pully. This increased the H.P to over 450 and the total cost was less than $1200.00. Custom made sheep skins were added for extra ride comfort and what a truly great high performance, luxury experience these cars are to drive. My wife and I can hardly wait to drive these cars and when we go out together, we flip a coin to see who gets to drive. Other than regular oil changes and recommended Jaguar maintenance, neither car has ever had one thing wrong with it. We will always buy Jaguars.

Favorite Features

The smell and feel of the leather, beautiful wood and most of all, the Performance. True quality and luxury all the way around.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift numbers should be on the drivers side of the console shifter.

Performance for those with patience
By RWhite

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Fast, luxurious, comfortable, and very easy to handle. However, 25 months after I bought it new, during which it was in the shop for warranty work for 38 days, I had to trade it for a car I could depend on. When it runs, it is wonderful. However, everything negative about Jaguar's reliability came true. I would only recommend this car to someone who has money, patience, and lives very close to a Jaguar dealer.

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, comfort, fabulous lumbar support for bad backs, quiet, audio, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Jaguar must improve reliability. Went thru 3 sets of belts (Jag knows super charger squeals after about 5-7K mi, but can't fix it). Gas tank recall. Two coolant leaks. "Gearbox failure" light came on and car defaulted to 2d gear 30 mi from home (Jag mechanic said computer didn't record event).

S type - Stand out from the crowd
By Tony

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I have owned my S type R for quite some time now and I have to say it's a pleasure to drive. The looks alone make it stand out from the masses but the performance is sensational. Jaguars of old have had some bad press, I'm here to say that's all changed. What other performance sedan can you buy used with a 400 hp engine for under $40k? These cars are classics in waiting and represent fantastic bang for your buck.