2005 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:
Love Hate Relation!
By sharat11370 on 07/05/12 21:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Jaguar! Right from owning my first Jaguar in late 70's, I promised myself that I would never buy a Jaguar but the one that I have is the fifth. This is like love-hate relationship! Like I do not want you but cannot live without you. Like husband and wife, always bickering and not functioning properly!

Disappointed
By slj769 on 12/10/11 10:36 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car b/c I've always wanted an S type...had the pre-purchase inspection, & all they had to say was it would need upper ball joints in the near future. But the price seemed right, so I bought it. A week later, the battery was dead, then every week after, the battery would die, faithfully. Come to find out, it has a parasitic drain that wasn't disclosed to us & I guess this is a huge problem with these cars. My husband traced it out, & it's the GECM. I'm disappointed that Jaguar produces such beautiful cars with such ridiculous flaws. I love this car, but hate this car. Other than that, it's been great, but I wouldn't buy another Jag.

What an outstanding car
By fa5tcat on 04/03/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I purchased this 2005 TYPE R a few months ago with 58000 miles on it. I deperately wanted the 05 s they made improvements to it and i had driven the 03 which was still an impressive car. It is by far the best luxury sports sedan i have owned, being British i wanted a car to match and this is definately above what i expected. The power and equipment are awesome and comes close to the MB BMW M5 equivalent. It maybe doesnt have the toys of the M5 but in comparison it feels bespoke and handmade in many areas and less clinical. I had a few fault lights come on for no reason but soon learned that the marine sized battery in the trunk was low on power and was ready to be replaced. Now it just WOW

Wonderfull Auto
By ao145 on 01/06/11 09:20 AM (PST)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 Jags, 1960 MK ll. 1965 3.8 S, and now a 2005 S Type. The last was purchased off a three year lease , 27K miles in Sept 08.08. Present 63 K miles. Maintenance at 30K 40K by dealer at no charge . Only repair was to a rear disc break $214.00. At 65 MPH . average MPG is 26.1. I have owned or leased 14 autos, German , US and Japanese. This has been a joy to own.

Nice, but VERY High Maintenance
By JGY on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car and the dealer highly suggested I purchase the extended warranty, and I'm glad I did. I like the car, drives great, is quiet, shifts smoothly, fuel economy is ok, around 21 avg. However, it is in the shop every 2-4 months for either oil leaks, electrical probs (my wife called me this morning saying the temp read out was flashing on and off), transmission fluid leaks, parking break motor going out, etc. and I have only had it 2 years. The dealer is normally good about giving me a loaner, and they always fix it for free, except when the gas tank latch broke. I thought that was bad, but didn't say much. All in all, I would never buy a Jag again, but I am glad I owned a nice car

It's a Wind of Change
By Zaiman on 08/06/10 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car new for a Birthday present to my dearest wife. I let her choose for any brands and any models (mid size). I took her to all dealers except Al Tayer - Jag sole dealership in UAE. She did not choose any, not until I took her to see this stunning Jag. Had to wait eagerly for a month before finally arrive. I had many luxury brands since 30 years, but this S type was totally the winner of it all. Never had a problem since and enjoy every bit of it. Very good in mileage especially on a long cruise. The V6 3000cc is a bit underpowered but more than enough for my wife to chew. Smooth, luxury and have class. Beats any Mercedes, BMW, Volvo or Audi. No regrets and still loving it till now

2005 Jaguar S-type 3.0 Sport Package
By kapriako1 on 04/04/10 11:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am amazed that Edmunds has such poor reviews for this car when they did not even test drive it. I would assume since this is the case with the test drive it is going off its older reviews and what the manufacturer says it changed. I love this car, never had a problem with it. I have owned several Jags throughout the years and this car stands out in ride and performance. I am also interested in the misinformation about Ford owning Jag for the XF, Ford no longer controls Jag or Land Rover that was out in 2008. I would say anyone wanting a Stype should buy one no older then 2005 but of course that is what i would say with any car. Make sure its been well maintained and keep it up.

S-Type V8 with Sport Suspension
By Loose Cannon Liberal on 09/05/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd S-Type, minor issues with first two, tranny whooping noise which dealer fixed. Excellent car for long drives, avg 28-30 MPG at 75 MPH. The 18" wheels and Conti Sport Grips are awesome on this V8, the ongoing improvements to the car are very noticeable. For the money, a certified Jag is a much, much better buy than a Benz, Beemer and Audi, and with the V8 Jag, there is literally no maintenance other than oil changes. Brakes every 30-40K, I use a shop that works on BMW, Benz, Audi and Jags, they say the long term maintenance on BMW is worst followed by Benz, Audi and the newer Jags. I have been driving CPO's for almost 6 years and love them, my next one will be the XJR.

Wow, what a great car!!
By bill on 07/09/09 06:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am a retired car dealer and have owned all kinds of cars. I bought this jag for my wife to drive (4'11") after buying a jag x type for a customer. This car is the total package. Great mpg, 31 hwy, 24 mixed in town. Besides oil changes and a K&N air filter, I have spent a total of $2.57 for a tail lite bulb in over 20k miles of driving. V6 has plenty of power. No quality issues at all. Solid and safe. One of the greatest interiors of any car I have owned. With this experience, we will probably upgrade to an xj8 at some point. Don't let the quality issues of 20 years ago hold you back from owning one of these great cars.

Acceleration problems
By harold duke on 05/15/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Occasionally engine surges dangerously to 6K rpm and tries to drive forward while stopped at stoplight with foot on brake and car in drive. Owners manual suggests putting car in neutral or park when stopping for electric signal. Jaguar cannot tell me why they make this recommendation.