Used 2005 Jaguar S-Type Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar S-Type - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Type model:

Love Hate Relation!
By sharat11370

2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Jaguar! Right from owning my first Jaguar in late 70's, I promised myself that I would never buy a Jaguar but the one that I have is the fifth. This is like love-hate relationship! Like I do not want you but cannot live without you. Like husband and wife, always bickering and not functioning properly!

Very limited favorite features. Outwardly looks pretty (specially mine is Post office Red). Interior is excellent. Leather looks good and the wood trim is gorgeous and driving is a pleasure. These are the pros and now for a long list of CONS! Annoying blind spots at several positions. Very bad air-conditioning. The module (which is very expensive) goes off frequently. Jaguar knew this problem but never rectified it. Almost half of Jaguars are running with non working AC. In my case I got both the module and water heater control valve replaced a couple times but to no avail. Engine check light is on very frequently. Transmission is very lazy!

My earnest suggestion to the owners of Jaguar (the TATA'S from India) is to sell the company to any bidder. You will be cutting the losses by doing so. This car is a good looking LEMON! I thought Mr.Tata was a good business man but he bought a loosing company. If you still want to manufacture Jaguars, please build a car that has a good AC and responsive recalls and good dealers. Just the looks of a car is not sufficient-it should be functional. The seats need to be readjusted since after driving 100 miles your thigh and legs pain. Redesign the blind spot while driving. Correct the annoying check engine light. But first redesign the AC and recall previous year's cars and correct the AC.

Disappointed
By slj769

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car b/c I've always wanted an S type...had the pre-purchase inspection, & all they had to say was it would need upper ball joints in the near future.
But the price seemed right, so I bought it.
A week later, the battery was dead, then every week after, the battery would die, faithfully.
Come to find out, it has a parasitic drain that wasn't disclosed to us & I guess this is a huge problem with these cars.
My husband traced it out, & it's the GECM.
I'm disappointed that Jaguar produces such beautiful cars with such ridiculous flaws.
I love this car, but hate this car.
Other than that, it's been great, but I wouldn't buy another Jag.

Interior comfort, ride quality, outside design/looks.

No other luxury car I'm aware of needs upper ball joints at 90,000 miles, and of course, the electrical system leaves a ton to be desired.

What an outstanding car
By fa5tcat

2005 Jaguar S-Type R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I purchased this 2005 TYPE R a few months ago with 58000 miles on it. I deperately wanted the 05 s they made improvements to it and i had driven the 03 which was still an impressive car.

It is by far the best luxury sports sedan i have owned, being British i wanted a car to match and this is definately above what i expected. The power and equipment are awesome and comes close to the MB BMW M5 equivalent. It maybe doesnt have the toys of the M5 but in comparison it feels bespoke and handmade in many areas and less clinical.

I had a few fault lights come on for no reason but soon learned that the marine sized battery in the trunk was low on power and was ready to be replaced. Now it just WOW

0-100 wow! SAT NAV is great.A very posh English lady gives me directions,easy to use,the touchscreen is fantastic. Integrated into the touch screen is the stereo system which i think sounds fantastic with two sub woofers on the rear shelf. Its easy to adjust and gives good accoustic qualities. The adaptive cruise control is an excellent feature, it saved me from speeding tickets when following other speeding drivers and then slowing me down when they see the police and of course im only doing 70 by they time they see me The small block supercharged V8 is fantastic.The whine when pushed and it makes sounds like a growling cat.I ask myself did Jaguar make it sound like a cat deliberatly

Some sort of IPOD/MP3 input would of been nice, i know its an optional extra but probably should of been standard. I think bluetooth for you phone should of been standard as well. As well as the S button i think they could of tweaked the car with W button for winter. it really is a handful in the snow and ice and it seems regardless of how good those huge rear tires are its hard to get moving on a snowy hill and extreamly twitchy on slippery roads. The removal of the fog lights on the front in 05 wasn't a design change but they did look good. I guess the necessity for extra cooling outweighed the need for foglights. Since US cars dont have them at all i guess the rear ones are a bonus.

Wonderfull Auto
By ao145

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 Jags, 1960 MK ll. 1965 3.8 S, and now a 2005 S Type. The last was purchased off a three year
lease , 27K miles in Sept 08.08. Present 63 K miles. Maintenance at 30K 40K by dealer at no charge .
Only repair was to a rear disc break $214.00.
At 65 MPH . average MPG is 26.1.
I have owned or leased 14 autos, German , US and
Japanese.
This has been a joy to own.

Nice, but VERY High Maintenance
By JGY

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car and the dealer highly suggested I purchase the extended warranty, and I'm glad I did. I like the car, drives great, is quiet, shifts smoothly, fuel economy is ok, around 21 avg. However, it is in the shop every 2-4 months for either oil leaks, electrical probs (my wife called me this morning saying the temp read out was flashing on and off), transmission fluid leaks, parking break motor going out, etc. and I have only had it 2 years. The dealer is normally good about giving me a loaner, and they always fix it for free, except when the gas tank latch broke. I thought that was bad, but didn't say much. All in all, I would never buy a Jag again, but I am glad I owned a nice car

exterior, interior, quiet ride, shifts smoothly, plenty of power for a V-6

Make it reliable. It leaks oil like a sieve from every place it can and there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix for it. Reliability needs much improvement.