Used 2003 Jaguar S-Type R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jaguar S-type - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jaguar S-Type R

R 4.2L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )

Great Performance and Style
By nh

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is startlingly fast! Despite being a 4000 lb luxury sedan it corners like a sports car. Breaks are great! I get tons of looks and compliments on the styling. The R has much better proportions than the standard S-Type. The wood and leather interior is very classy. I prefer it to the modernized XF interior. Dealer Repair costs are extremely high... especially if there is only one Jag dealer locally. Most independent shops refuse to touch this car, however even after 80,000 miles this car has only been to the shop a handful of times. My only real complaint is about the small size of the tank. I travel a lot and I wish I could go over 400 miles between petrol stops.

Favorite Features

400 supercharged horsepower. Mind bending acceleration especially at highway speeds. Great fuel economy. I average over 20 mpg with mixed city/highway driving!

Suggested Improvements

Well the car is no longer in production, however it could benefit from a Limited Slip Diff, Larger Fuel Tank, Manual Gearbox option, and More power never hurts.

Beautiful 390 HP Jag
By Brian

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Beautiful car with tremendous speed. I bought this car with 51 mi on it from a private owner. I now have 60 mi on it and have the following to report. The supercharger in the car works great, and I love the fact that I can beat almost anybody that pulls up next to me with such a classy vehicle. I also get many compliments on it. Now for the bad stuff. The dual heating system in mine is already having problems and heat seems to blow from some vents when the AC is on. I'm told it's a $1500 problem to solve. Also the plastic bevel and cup holders in the back are cheaply made and will break. Visor mirror covers are made of the same junk plastic and have also broken. Still like it so far!

Favorite Features

POWER! Crazy fast for such a classy car. Beautiful styling is also appreciated. GPS works well too.

Suggested Improvements

Should use higher quality plastics for movable plastic interior pieces. I have 2 Jaguars and both have plastic interior pieces that break more easily than in other cars. Both of my Jags have broken visor mirror covers so I think its a problem. Also would like to use regular gas instead of premium

Corvette in a Tuxedo
By pbomgardner

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car has been a dream to own. It has required nothing other than the normal maintenance, and even that has been surprisingly inexpensive. The car is elegantly understated and is very subtle in appearance. However, all of the subtlety changes when the gas pedal is used. This car is a rocket - like the title idicates, it is a Corvette in a tuxedo! It handles superbly, goes like the wind, and it does it all with style and grace. I could not ask for a better vehicle, and when it does come time to trade, I am going to have a very hard time deciding what to replace it with. HMMM - maybe a pre-owned Supercharged FX is in my future! This Jag has it all - elegance, performance, and reliability.

Favorite Features

Performance; Style - both inside and out; Exclusivity - you just do not see them everywhere; Comfort - both driver and passenger seats have multiple settings; Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

There needs to be a little more attention to the details. While the build quality is leaps and bounds beyond previous Jags, there are still a few rattles and squeeks that should not be in a $60 K car. Other than that, I really cannot think of anything.

Silk Cat / Sharp Claws
By Joe

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

After 52,000 miles still an amazing driving experience. Rock sold body structure and build quality. Still turns heads and elicits admiring comments with its timeless design. Engine and powertrain among the best on the planet. Rocket-like acceleration and cat like handling when you want it, civility when you don't. Had a failure of the adaptive HID headlight (left side) out of warranty, but Jag paid 1/2 the bill. Just noticed grease seal leak on right rear suspension. Interior temperature sensor replaced last year to fix malfunctioning A/C. That's it for repairs. Mid 20s highway mileage very reasonable

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission performance. Perfect balance of handling capability and compliant ride. Interior and exterior styling, physical presence with timeless styling, but menacing racer-like looks. Build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Seats would benefit from adjustable bolsters. More rear seat leg room.

Excellent All Around Luxury Sports Sedan
By Charles R

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car flat out moves. Very fast acceleration and very good braking. This car has a nice balance of ride and handling. The one wheel drive will spin very easily though, positive traction should definitely be on this car. The fun part is that it will smoke the tires at will if you are into that type of thing (who... me?). The interior is gorgeous, the seats are uber comfortable and the car is very quiet... until you gas it hard, that is. People often complain about the loudness of the supercharger, but I love it. People stare at this car, it is definitely a head turner. Have had no problems with this car yet.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort and braking are all excellent. Beautiful interior.

Suggested Improvements

Limited slip differential would be nice but that is it. This car ROCKS.