2003 Jaguar S-Type R - Consumer Reviews

R 4.2L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )
Great Performance and Style
By nh on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is startlingly fast! Despite being a 4000 lb luxury sedan it corners like a sports car. Breaks are great! I get tons of looks and compliments on the styling. The R has much better proportions than the standard S-Type. The wood and leather interior is very classy. I prefer it to the modernized XF interior. Dealer Repair costs are extremely high... especially if there is only one Jag dealer locally. Most independent shops refuse to touch this car, however even after 80,000 miles this car has only been to the shop a handful of times. My only real complaint is about the small size of the tank. I travel a lot and I wish I could go over 400 miles between petrol stops.

Beautiful 390 HP Jag
By Brian on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Beautiful car with tremendous speed. I bought this car with 51 mi on it from a private owner. I now have 60 mi on it and have the following to report. The supercharger in the car works great, and I love the fact that I can beat almost anybody that pulls up next to me with such a classy vehicle. I also get many compliments on it. Now for the bad stuff. The dual heating system in mine is already having problems and heat seems to blow from some vents when the AC is on. I'm told it's a $1500 problem to solve. Also the plastic bevel and cup holders in the back are cheaply made and will break. Visor mirror covers are made of the same junk plastic and have also broken. Still like it so far!

Corvette in a Tuxedo
By pbomgardner on 04/28/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car has been a dream to own. It has required nothing other than the normal maintenance, and even that has been surprisingly inexpensive. The car is elegantly understated and is very subtle in appearance. However, all of the subtlety changes when the gas pedal is used. This car is a rocket - like the title idicates, it is a Corvette in a tuxedo! It handles superbly, goes like the wind, and it does it all with style and grace. I could not ask for a better vehicle, and when it does come time to trade, I am going to have a very hard time deciding what to replace it with. HMMM - maybe a pre-owned Supercharged FX is in my future! This Jag has it all - elegance, performance, and reliability.

Silk Cat / Sharp Claws
By Joe on 05/23/07 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

After 52,000 miles still an amazing driving experience. Rock sold body structure and build quality. Still turns heads and elicits admiring comments with its timeless design. Engine and powertrain among the best on the planet. Rocket-like acceleration and cat like handling when you want it, civility when you don't. Had a failure of the adaptive HID headlight (left side) out of warranty, but Jag paid 1/2 the bill. Just noticed grease seal leak on right rear suspension. Interior temperature sensor replaced last year to fix malfunctioning A/C. That's it for repairs. Mid 20s highway mileage very reasonable

Excellent All Around Luxury Sports Sedan
By Charles R on 04/07/07 12:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car flat out moves. Very fast acceleration and very good braking. This car has a nice balance of ride and handling. The one wheel drive will spin very easily though, positive traction should definitely be on this car. The fun part is that it will smoke the tires at will if you are into that type of thing (who... me?). The interior is gorgeous, the seats are uber comfortable and the car is very quiet... until you gas it hard, that is. People often complain about the loudness of the supercharger, but I love it. People stare at this car, it is definitely a head turner. Have had no problems with this car yet.

Unbelievable!
By Midwest STR on 12/27/06 11:12 AM (PST)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is nothing short of incredible! Be prepared for massive stares of envy wherever you go. It's nice to have a vehicle that has enough speed to leave, even those hemi powered vehicles gasping for breath. The passing power is world class. It leaves all but the world's fastest cars on the highway. Plain and simple. This car will stop, corner and then speed with the same authority as any performance car costing over a hundred thousand dollars. I just love this car.

Don't mess with gorgeous
By sv on 04/01/06 19:29 PM (PST)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Outstanding bargain as a 2003 thanks to Jag's old reputation for unreliability. Best performance sedan under 60K. Has been very reliable so far. Nothing more than scheduled maintenance. Impressive performance, especially if you factor in the automatic and all the Jaguar nanny electronics (delimiter, Traction, etc). Gorgeous exterior that gets looks everywhere. It's acceleration sneaks up on other performance cars, especially M3s and M5s. Interior fit and finish is excellent and sumptuous. Brakes are grabby (good) and stop the car with authority. The mesh grill and fat 275 tires make the car. Supercharger whine is music over 3500rpm. Butt-dyno feels like a 4.8-4.9s car, not 5-5.2.

Quick Silver Cat
By lflouie on 01/12/06 16:09 PM (PST)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

Great combo of performance, style, and luxury. Competent handling at 8/10ths, great acceleration only limited by "open" rear end, electronic trac control and lazy ECU that limits revs in lower gears. Incredible suspension for great ride and good all around handling. Gets more looks (especially females) than my M5 and is much a more enjoyable ride around town. Had a few annoying but non-critical electrical glitchs, overall releiability is good but build quailty is only average. 28 mpg on the hwy..WOW. I love the car... it's unique, stylish, comfortable, quick, and overall a very competent sport sedan. Used prices offer an incredible value if you're the buyer. LOVE IT!

Can a Car Have Too Much Power?
By RGB on 08/06/05 18:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

My three year lease is coming to an end soon, so its time to start thinking about a replacement for my 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. Its been a fun 3 years even though there have been some second thoughts while the car sat in the shop for a variety of problems. The car is beautiful (yea, if you try real hard, you can see some resemblance to the Taurus, especially the back end). I get plenty of looks and smiles. The interior was our real decision point. It is probably the most beautiful interior of any car out there. Performance is incredible. Can a car have too much power? Maybe, especially for city driving. Main complaint - always wants to go and hard to control at slow speeds. Next car - ??

Awesome Ride
By racebrat on 04/18/05 20:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Jaguar S-Type R R 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I wanted a Jaguar for a long time and finally purchased this one. It is far more fun to drive than any car I test drove or imagined it would be. This car has so much power I don't have to worry about merging onto a busy expressway. I get a compliment just about every day about how beautiful a car I have.